I'm in Australia.

I don't like it :pierre:
    What's wrong?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MangoFreak)
    Kind of bull**** that that program is only in some select areas :holmes:
    Our college says that its extremely costly to be the hub in the region (we don't pay any money, nor do other colleges and the students they're sending here, but the hub college takes up all of the cost of the programme).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    Our college says that its extremely costly to be the hub in the region (we don't pay any money, nor do other colleges and the students they're sending here, but the hub college takes up all of the cost of the programme).
    If it's going on right now I couldn't attend anyway :mmm: Stupid family moving back to Australia

I am using the HE+ website now though. It seems to have everything (I imagine it would be nice to actually have a class though).
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    If it's going on right now I couldn't attend anyway :mmm: Stupid family moving back to Australia

I am using the HE+ website now though. It seems to have everything (I imagine it would be nice to actually have a class though).
    Ours starts in January.

The topics on the HE+ website differ from the topics covered in the actual programme though. For example, the topics on the website for Maths are Proof-orientated, whereas the topics we're covering are Curves, Group Theory, Fractals, Multivariate Calculus etc.

ReputationRep:
    Busy week over, final week before Christmas holidays

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    Busy week over, final week before Christmas holidays

We're in this week and next week, but no revision over holidays so i dont mind
    have they given all your mocks before or after Christmas?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me with this chemistry question please?

Both C3H8 and C4H10 can be liquefied and used as fuels for camping stoves. Suggest, with a reason, which of these two fuels is liquefied more easily.

I though it would be C8H8 since it would have a lower boiling point and so would liquefy easier as the bonds can be broken easier than C4H10.
    However the mark scheme says that the answer is C4H0, since it has a high boiling point/ stronger IMF.

Bit confused as to why that would allow it to liquefy more easily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skizzle)

Both C3H8 and C4H10 can be liquefied and used as fuels for camping stoves. Suggest, with a reason, which of these two fuels is liquefied more easily.

I though it would be C8H8 since it would have a lower boiling point and so would liquefy easier as the bonds can be broken easier than C4H10.
    However the mark scheme says that the answer is C4H0, since it has a high boiling point/ stronger IMF.

C4H10 has one more carbon than C3H8, therefore more surface area for London force to act on (intermolecular force), therefore higher boiling point, which means that it is easier to become liquified,

ReputationRep:

This is from Jan 2013 AQA unit 1 right? I remember this question because I sat the exam.
    If this is the case, can you post a picture of the question, I'm sure it came with some data

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameisntbobk)
    This is from Jan 2013 AQA unit 1 right? I remember this question because I sat the exam.
    If this is the case, can you post a picture of the question, I'm sure it came with some data
    here you go...

Name:  jan13.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  92.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackTeh96)
    C4H10 has one more carbon than C3H8, therefore more surface area for London force to act on (intermolecular force), therefore higher boiling point, which means that it is easier to become liquified,
    But wouldn't there be more energy required to overcome these IMF forces than necessary for C3H8?

ReputationRep:
    here you go...

Name:  jan13.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  92.2 KB

Notice the data they gave you is for boiling points (so to get from liquid to gas). Using the table, it would be easier to liquidify C4H10 as opposed to C3H8 because its easier to achieve -1°C as opposed to -42°C

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Fox)
    Applied for Engineering (Economics and Physics as back up choices)
    How do we apply for these things, is it too late? And are they the Oxford equivalent of the Cambridge subject masterclasses or something else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nat_LPS)

We're in this week and next week, but no revision over holidays so i dont mind
    have they given all your mocks before or after Christmas?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm doing IB - I don't think I'll be getting mocks at all before or after Christmas!
    But I'm going to by crying doing Maths everyday over Christmas; it's damn tough and I need to do it

ReputationRep:
    Well I have gone from art college to general college, back to art college and now going back somewhere else for 6 months and start again in September. Been a crazy time but at least I have a sense of where I am going now.

ReputationRep:
    Got a laptop so I can finally do some work while in Oz.

ReputationRep:
    I forget sometimes that it's like 5am in the UK right now :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    I forget sometimes that it's like 5am in the UK right now :mmm:
    6am then

ReputationRep:
    Good to have a lay in for once on a Monday.

Now to figure out what to do today...

ReputationRep:
    But wouldn't there be more energy required to overcome these IMF forces than necessary for C3H8?
    yup, more energy required to overcome the imf force in C4H10, so easier to be liquified

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.