Official LSE Applicants+Decisions 2009 Watch

This discussion is closed.
Tyrotoxism
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by El Mariachi)
Nice one mate. Glad I can refer to someone on TSR everytime I mention that the GCSE thing is a complete myth!
Yeah, that myth nearly put me off applying for L101, as it no doubt will do to other potential applicants. Congratulations on your Mths&Econ offer!

I want to go down the the LSE and talk to some students (to decide between LSE and Cam) but I don't know any, I'm going to have to ask random people on TSR to meet me there, literally. :tongue:
ExRx123
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Tyrotoxism)
Yeah, that myth nearly put me off applying for L101, as it no doubt will do to other potential applicants. Congratulations on your Mths&Econ offer!

I want to go down the the LSE and talk to some students (to decide between LSE and Cam) but I don't know any, I'm going to have to ask random people on TSR to meet me there, literally. :tongue:
I've seen lots of people on here and around this year struggling to decide between LSE and Cambridge. There's a guy on here called Economist1 who's got an offer from both and is picking LSE I think, unless he's changed his mind!

I urge you all to pick LSE, it will boost the reputation, that people will reject Cambridge for LSE :rolleyes:
Tyrotoxism
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've seen lots of people on here and around this year struggling to decide between LSE and Cambridge. There's a guy on here called Economist1 who's got an offer from both and is picking LSE I think, unless he's changed his mind!

I urge you all to pick LSE, it will boost the reputation, that people will reject Cambridge for LSE :rolleyes:
He's erring on the side of LSE at the moment, ambivalent fool. :tongue:

If you had to pick between LSE L101 and Cambridge L100 which would it be?(and don't let your offer distort your advice :tongue:)
amzy2
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
LSE L101 offer!!

Oh, and to shatter the GCSE myth: I only have 5A*s and I'm not an international student. I only do four A-Levels. There are no special circumstances involved in my application either.

And I wasn't in the gathered pile either.
i can do better
i got an offer 2day
i have 2A*s and only do 3A2s...
also not international
Tyrotoxism
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by amzy2)
i can do better
i got an offer 2day
also not international
Nice one :hi5:. Any special circumstances? :tongue:

Who else have you got offers from?
Hanoi
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by amzy2)
i can do better
i got an offer 2day
also not international
But the 8A* myth applies for L101 only since there is so much competition, what are you applying for?
ExRx123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

If you had to pick between LSE L101 and Cambridge L100 which would it be?(and don't let your offer distort your advice :tongue:)
I really have no idea, I think, if it was a year ago, I would have picked Cambridge. Now though, after having to take a gap year here (live in Cambridge), I think I'd most probably go to LSE. My opinion is probably of no use to you though as the big factor is living in Cambridge, which obviously doesn't apply to you!
ExRx123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by amzy2)
i can do better
i got an offer 2day
also not international
But is that for Economics L101?
Economic Historian 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
going to sound like a rant but,
i got 8A*s 2As at GCSE, 6As (Maths, Economics, Physics, Chemistry, Critical Thinking, Psychology) at AS, as well as A in A2 Economics already, am predicted AAA now (wasn't initially, slight personal dispute -.-), and an A in FM AS, as well as Distinction in AEA Economics. My PS was 50/50 Econ/Econ History, yet I was shortlisted and then rejected for Economics & Economic History at LSE, whilst seemingly weaker candidates (on paper, no offence intended) are either still in the running, or (as do my some of my friends) hold an offer for the course. LSE refuse to give me feedback, and I cannot fathom a guess as to why exactly I was rejected then? I'm not bitter about the decision anymore, obviously I'm hurt and upset, but that goes without saying when a dream shatters,...but I'd just like some kind of reason as to why I was rejected without a reason In a way, I'd prefer being told I was crap at X, rather than always beating myself up over the question.
ExRx123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Economic Historian 1)
i got 8A*s 2As at GCSE, 6As (Maths, Economics, Physics, Chemistry, Critical Thinking, Psychology) at AS, as well as A in A2 Economics already, am predicted AAA now (wasn't initially, slight personal dispute -.-), and an A in FM AS, as well as Distinction in AEA Economics. My PS was 50/50 Econ/Econ History, yet I was shortlisted and then rejected for Economics & Economic History at LSE, whilst seemingly weaker candidates (on paper, no offence intended) are either still in the running, or (as do my some of my friends) hold an offer for the course. LSE refuse to give me feedback, and I cannot fathom a guess as to why exactly I was rejected then? I'm not bitter about the decision anymore, obviously I'm hurt and upset, but that goes without saying when a dream shatters,...but I'd just like some kind of reason as to why I was rejected without a reason In a way, I'd prefer being told I was crap at X, rather than always beating myself up over the question.
Slight personal dispute - can you elaborate? Would this have affected your reference in any way?

Your PS might also have been weak - it's easy for you, as the author, to say it's good, but, it could be rubbish, even if people have looked at it. I thought my one was the dog's ******** last year, and everyone told me it was good, but, in actual fact, it was pretty poor.
Economic Historian 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Slight personal dispute - can you elaborate? Would this have affected your reference in any way?

Your PS might also have been weak - it's easy for you, as the author, to say it's good, but, it could be rubbish, even if people have looked at it. I thought my one was the dog's ******** last year, and everyone told me it was good, but, in actual fact, it was pretty poor.
My maths teacher doesn't like me, and he let it show. Didn't affect my reference hugely, that was written by the head teacher, who requested to for some reason I read the reference (on the sly :tongue: ), and it seemed great to me, although I don't personally know what references are meant to read like.

My PS may have been weak, but I had it checked by all the relevant teachers at school extensively, so surely it couldn't have been that bad? It was soley geared towards LSE and the course too lol

I'm really not sure what to do now though,...
my current offer status lies as such:

LSE- Rejected
Nottingham- Offered Maths & Engineering instead for now (basically, rejected for Economics for now until results day :redface: )
York- Unconditional
Birmingham- Unconditional (was initially (A)BB) :rollseyes:
St Andrews- (A)AB, with a B in FM.

Out of those I don't want to go to Birmingham, St Andrews...I don't mind the distance although i live in London!, but the course is 4 years and rather tedious in that respect...
which leaves me with York...I really like the course etc, but I'm not sure whether it really is good enough. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews. It's very good for Economics etc, top ten from many, whilst others (who it must be noted hold LSE/Cambridge offers etc) that I'm better off taking a gap year as it's not good enough. Or hasher words to that extent!
I'm too late to apply for the various gap year schemes I believe, and I really want to get a move on...my parents don't support the idea of a gap year anyway...I'm really passionate about Economics, and already feel the need to do some more Econ related work, as it's the only subject I really enjoy and have a passion for.
Which leave me really confused....a pointless gap year and reapply...work experience which I probably won't now find so late on...or just go to York?

This next statement will make me hated, but here goes...
I want to go into IB.

Doubly confusing.

Edit: is it possible to reapply whilst at York?
tigerpop101
Report 9 years ago
When did u apply???
I applied exactly a month ago ! I didn't apply after the deadline though

Ah, you haven't heard from warwick either!
Nope! But I heard that they don't give out offers too soon

I read the article about LSE, I want to go there even more now!!
gilash89
Report 9 years ago

If you had to pick between LSE L101 and Cambridge L100 which would it be?
For undergrad, I don't think there is a decision to be made. Cambridge hands down. For postgrad probably LSE especially for economics.
tashminda
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by danfl2004)
Nothing today, oh well. Although i dont think there have been any Law offers for the gathered pile. Saying that, not many Law offers for ages really.
That's good to hear!
I really do hate LSE at the moment, this is so stressful. I don't even particularly want to go, but then there's another part of me thinking I shouldn't turn down such a respected university......saying that, I probably won't get an offer at all now.
apa123
Report 9 years ago
Amar09 or yodude recieve offers today?
serrellen
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Economic Historian 1)

You do do History, right?
Economic Historian 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by serrellen)
You do do History, right?
erm... No :redface:
It's not available at my sixth-form anyway...
Beef_Eater
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I feel like ****. 3 people who have been shortlisted have received offers for accounting and finance today. no news for me
Economic Historian 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Beef_Eater)
I feel like ****. 3 people who have been shortlisted have received offers for accounting and finance today. no news for me
dw about it, at least you weren't rejected.
Tyrotoxism
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Beef_Eater)
Like the poster above said, don't worry, this doesn't mean anything.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (144)
18.44%
No (475)
60.82%
Not really bothered about them (162)
20.74%

Watched Threads