Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    I don't think haem is particularly easy. Especially if you're doing a whole year on it :afraid:
    Oh but 2 days off a week (not including the weekend), yes please.

Haem aint so bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan)
    Oh no see whenever I was stressed out I used to calm myself by taking a nap, so now whenever I have exams/huge workload the natural response is to feel like sleeping which of course is the last thing you need! I would suggest making a revision plan, or writing out which topics are your top priority to learn such as diabetes/cancer as those I assume are common exam Qs. And then rigidly stick to your timetable. I can never make a timetable with time restraints such as 'Metabolism 2-4pm' but instead write topics/modules that I need to finish by the end of that day. Also soundtracks help me revise, like Hans Zimmer 'Time'.

Just wondering the exams in Jan - are they on that particular semester or are you examined synoptically? Best of luck though!
    The exams are just on this semester, fortunately. I'm not normally this tired, but my medication is ****ing up my ability to stay awake somewhat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    Trying to work out how an ECG works.

It is interesting but my god I wish we were taught it well first time.
    Lectures on ECG don't work, I think a tutorial would have been better...
    The ECG Made Easy book is pretty good for explaining everything. I have it in PDF format if you want a (not the current edition) copy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    The ECG Made Easy book is pretty good for explaining everything. I have it in PDF format if you want a (not the current edition) copy?
    I am currently using making sense of the ECG. It seems to be helping.

But if that fails I may be asking!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    Starting to get a bit terrified about January exams. I've realised that being depressed has pretty much lead to me doing no work. Whenever I sit down and try to do something I either fall asleep at my desk or lose my ability to concentrate after 20 minutes. Normally I just lie in bed and contemplate how much I hate myself like a miserable *******.
    Mate, you're sooooo not alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Mate, you're sooooo not alone.
    That's one thing I've learnt in the last few months, it's remarkable how many people I've spoken to have experienced similar. Think I'm probably going to have to talk to my tutor about extenuating circumstances, especially if the SSRI side effects keep me this nauseous and sedated into my prime revision time.

ReputationRep:
    That's one thing I've learnt in the last few months, it's remarkable how many people I've spoken to have experienced similar. Think I'm probably going to have to talk to my tutor about extenuating circumstances, especially if the SSRI side effects keep me this nauseous and sedated into my prime revision time.
    Do not be reluctant to talk to someone about mitigating/extenuating circumstances, especially if you've got a hard clinical issue. A friend of mine applied for mitigating circumstances after he failed exams citing gaming addiction. Luckily he passed resits but it seemed like they would've let him resit the year had he failed, instead of kicking him out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Do not be reluctant to talk to someone about mitigating/extenuating circumstances, especially if you've got a hard clinical issue. A friend of mine applied for mitigating circumstances after he failed exams citing gaming addiction. Luckily he passed resits but it seemed like they would've let him resit the year had he failed, instead of kicking him out.
    I'm not sure the amount of Minecraft I play could be counted as an addiction. Yet. But even that has suffered.

I have every intention of passing these ****ing exams, even if I don't do particularly well. The only thing I'm scared of is doing something... stupid in the mean time.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure the amount of Minecraft I play could be counted as an addiction. Yet. But even that has suffered.

I have every intention of passing these ****ing exams, even if I don't do particularly well. The only thing I'm scared of is doing something... stupid in the mean time.
    All I can say is, despite how it may seem or look, you're definitely not alone. It can be rough and we all start having negative thoughts. Just stick with it, keep chiselling away and look forward to that feeling you'll get from passes on results day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    All I can say is, despite how it may seem or look, you're definitely not alone. It can be rough and we all start having negative thoughts. Just stick with it, keep chiselling away and look forward to that feeling you'll get from passes on results day.
    June results day this year was the last time I remember being happy. True fact.

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't TOO bad but have made the mistake of exam post-mortem with clever people :p:

That said the exam was really badly written in my opinion especially for some of the GP questions....

Anyway - OSCE for Paeds/GP/Derm tomorrow and then freedom!!! (well lectures for Preparation for practice next week but mehhhhhhh) Thanks for the pos rep/wishes guys

P.S. - Who is Oggz? Is he a medical student and bitter? Or what...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    Wasn't TOO bad but have made the mistake of exam post-mortem with clever people :p:

That said the exam was really badly written in my opinion especially for some of the GP questions....

Anyway - OSCE for Paeds/GP/Derm tomorrow and then freedom!!! (well lectures for Preparation for practice next week but mehhhhhhh) Thanks for the pos rep/wishes guys

P.S. - Who is Oggz? Is he a medical student and bitter? Or what...
    Not a medic. Just an arse. Let's see how long until this conversation gets modded out...

ReputationRep:
    Not a medic. Just an arse. Let's see how long until this conversation gets modded out...
    Is modding a problem for this thread now? I thought idle chat was the purpose here being a society thread and all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThisLittlePiggy)
    Is modding a problem for this thread now? I thought idle chat was the purpose here being a society thread and all?
    It seems to be for some people, I haven't experienced it really, but I barely post anymore.
    • PS Helper

(Original post by crazylemon)
    I must say I know zilch sadly.

I will try and find someone who knows tomorrow!

Currently I am thinking of haemaholiday because I want an easier year...probably one of the worse reasons to pick a degree
    Thank you! Dont worry if you cant though!

ReputationRep:
    Really love the heart :heart:

& I'm loving young apprentice this year! C'MONNNNN final!

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, HSBC's student overdraft is £3000.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Ooh, HSBC's student overdraft is £3000.
    Instantly? Mine is slowly building to that, I think.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vulpes)
    Same. Started cardiovascular last week. Currently on arrhythmia and our PBL is on palpitation. Might go out tomorrow night since I get Wednesday off :woo:
    So you do PBLs more on signs and symptoms than a specific disease? :dontknow:

A whole day off???
    What is this nonsense...
    Wish I could have a day off.. but at least can relax(ish) with a rowing outing on wednesday afternoon followed by tables

(Original post by rumandraisin)
    How does your guys PBL work? It seems that it is quite different from ours? Like one of you mentioned having a PBL on palpation? How can a whole PBL be on just one topic? Or am i just reading things wrong:confused:
    Where do you study?

I'm at BL and what we've done so far is have scenarios whereby the patient will have a certain condition etc and the PBL will be based around that.

So for example the one in 8 hours is haemophilia, (well haemophilia A for this patient) so we set learning objectives so that we research and study about haemophilia signs and symptoms, pathophysiology and genetics as well as also the clotting cascade in general.

Depends on the PBL but normally it seems it's one disease but covering a topic that's been mentioned in lectures..

Hows it done with you?

(Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    Surely that's haematology rather than cardiology? We just covered it in our haem module :unsure: It's barely related to the heart at all :confused:
    :dontknow:

All I know is our module is called cardiorespiratory at the moment and we're covering the blood in basics etc so including the clotting cascade and did anaemia for the previous PBL.

Wouldn't know but RollerBall etc would know but guessing they cover things again in more detail if the spiral curriculum is true

Otherwise just same stuff under different names :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    PBL is shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.