The Ultimate Football Thread IV Watch

This discussion is closed.
Throwback
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think he's done a good job, they're lying 8th in the table. Yes he's spent money this year, but you need to give the squad time to gel over a couple of years. He's being punished for over-achieving at the start of the season IMO, that form wasn't going to last.
Klinsmannic
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
He's done well but if I were a non-footballing chairman eager for success on and off the pitch, like Thaksin, I would be a bit concerned tbh. Some of his signings have been questionable, and the dip in form has been pretty bad. The likes of Benjani, Caciedo and Garrido didn't come cheap and haven't exactly performed yet. They should be given time, but when you're in charge of coaching, managing, and transfers, Sven is no Arsene Wenger so we shouldn't expect a drastic improvement next season. I would just be wary of his ability in the transfer market and coaching in general, especially if I were a chairman under threat from legal and financial repression in my home country. You're right though, he needs another season to prove himself either way.
Allthewayhome
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Anyone catch the old firm game last night?- another heart pounding epic game!

I nearly died when JVoH sank the header.
Laevis
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Allthewayhome)

Didn't watch the game, but did get to see the goals. In fact, the highlights can be viewed here on the BBC for anyone who missed it. Great strikes by Nakamura and Novo, who scored their first and fifth goals in Old Firm games, respectively.

It makes it a lot more interesting, but Celtic still have it all to do really. Oh, and can't believe McGregor saved that pen despite having an ankle injury!
Herr Stamper
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Allthewayhome)

Yup, Nakamuras was a peach. Reminded me of Liverpools Riise (sp?)
Rafa
Report 11 years ago
Thursday 17th April
Premiership

• 20:00 - Everton v Chelsea - Sky Sports 1
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
He's about to lead them to their highest ever Premiership finish. To throw his position into doubt makes no good business sense or footballing sense.
mhsc
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Just how high are Thaksins ambitions? o_0

If he wants to battle it out with 'pool for 4th he's got an aweful lot of signings to make, Abramovich style :ninja:
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by mhsc)
Just how high are Thaksins ambitions? o_0

If he wants to battle it out with 'pool for 4th he's got an aweful lot of signings to make, Abramovich style :ninja:
Too high. And why has he decided that Sven Eriksson is the guy that's preventing him getting there? Eriksson's had much success at club level. I'd look at the squad, and the table; both of which say that City are short a star striker.

Also, he discovered Gianfranco Zola.
mhsc
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Juwel)
Too high. And why has he decided that Sven Eriksson is the guy that's preventing him getting there? Eriksson's had much success at club level. I'd look at the squad, and the table; both of which say that City are short a star striker.

Tbh its the only reason I can see he wants Sven to go.

Maybe he's got Mourinho lined up :ninja:
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
:ninja2:

Would Jose Mourinho dare risk his reputation on a club who isn't even the best in their hometown. He's spying vacant seats in Milan.
Klinsmannic
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Juwel)
He's about to lead them to their highest ever Premiership finish. To throw his position into doubt makes no good business sense or footballing sense.
I think it all depends on the replacement, which he must have lined up for all this to kick off.
mhsc
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Klinsmannic)
I think it all depends on the replacement, which he must have lined up for all this to kick off.
Steve McClaren :teeth:

It'll be Keegan and Hoddle next, and eventually Capello when he gets the sack.

Seriously can't believe Thaksin wants Sven gone. He must not realise what an accomplishment this season has been They're talking about firing the man that led them to the double over their derby rivals. FFS. Ridiculous.
Klinsmannic
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Juwel)

You sure about that? Sven was at Benfica when Zola burst on to the stage with Napoli. It was Moggi who bought him to Napoli afaik, not sure who exactly scouted him though
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Still a bit dumb to make this public. Especially the day after the club spokesman declared the club's backing of Eriksson.

Ah, how does Sven get himself in these positions. Once the guy used to throw doubt over Claudio Ranieri's position at Chelsea, now the guy in doubt :teeth:
mhsc
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Tbh I wouldn't mind him would love to have him at Chelsea :ninja: I'm actually a big Sven fan
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You sure about that? Sven was at Benfica when Zola burst on to the stage with Napoli. It was Moggi who bought him to Napoli afaik, not sure who exactly scouted him though
I remembered reading something. I've got at least one of those names wrong. Either that or the thing I read got it wrong. :ninja:
Klinsmannic
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by mhsc)
Steve McClaren :teeth:

It'll be Keegan and Hoddle next, and eventually Capello when he gets the sack.

Seriously can't believe Thaksin wants Sven gone. He must not realise what an accomplishment this season has been They're talking about firing the man that led them to the double over their derby rivals. FFS. Ridiculous.
From Thaksin's point of view, his summer spending would have felt an awful lot of money, and the tangible results are non-existent i.e. mid-table. A non-footballing bloke would consider a 25-30m transfer outlay (excluding salary) rather expensive, no matter how rich they are. He should be given another season, but this way Thaksin knows he can make Sven sweat and aim for bigger prizes, whilst keeping the eventual replacement interested. Naive perhaps, but Thaksin is the boss and he can do what he likes. Don't have much sympathy for Sven tbh, don't like him as a man or a manager.
Klinsmannic
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by mhsc)
Tbh I wouldn't mind him would love to have him at Chelsea :ninja: I'm actually a big Sven fan
Are you Ulrika in disguise or something :p:
mhsc
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
don't like him as a man or a manager.
Why? I think he has great tactical awareness, and he has shown this season his ability to find talent on the cheap (Elano, Petrov etc).

And as a man I find him very intelligent with a great sense of humour.

Nothing to complain about tbh at any rate :p:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (139)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (211)
26.98%
Not great so far... (281)
35.93%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.31%

Watched Threads