ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TunaTunnel)
    Right now I have:
    5 days state secondary
    5 days state primary
    5 days HMC independent
    5 days ISC independent girls only
    3 days ISC grammar

going to be volunteering next term in state secondary teaching assistants to boost up the secondary experience.

Oxford want 1 day, Cambridge 5-10, Durham 10. Am I lacking in experience in the state area? (I'm applying for shortage subject).
    I'd say that you're lacking in state school experience personally just because I don't think you can have a true representation of state school education from 5 days in a state secondary school. My old PGCE pal had 6 weeks in the independent sector and only 5 days in secondary state schools and as part of his conditional offer, he needed to obtain a further 10 days in a secondary state school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    I'd say that you're lacking in state school experience personally just because I don't think you can have a true representation of state school education from 5 days in a state secondary school. My old PGCE pal had 6 weeks in the independent sector and only 5 days in secondary state schools and as part of his conditional offer, he needed to obtain a further 10 days in a secondary state school.
    I wish I could get more, I've had loads of offers from state schools to host me but I lack the time as I start my masters soon and have 9-6 lessons everyday, I could only get experience later in the year. I had to put some private school experience in for if I apply to HMC TT schemes otherwise I'd have no experience in that sector either

ReputationRep:
    I wish I could get more, I've had loads of offers from state schools to host me but I lack the time as I start my masters soon and have 9-6 lessons everyday, I could only get experience later in the year. I had to put some private school experience in for if I apply to HMC TT schemes otherwise I'd have no experience in that sector either
    Just be aware that it could possibly form part of your offer if you were to be offered a place on the course so you may need to make time for it.

Well done for getting offers from state schools though. I found it incredibly difficult to get state school experience.

ReputationRep:
    Just be aware that it could possibly form part of your offer if you were to be offered a place on the course so you may need to make time for it.

Well done for getting offers from state schools though. I found it incredibly difficult to get state school experience.
    That would be a good thing, after my final exams (June) I have around 15 weeks spare I could do experience in.

What subject? I had to turn down 5+ schools and had around 50% accept me for experience, one rejection and others were no reply.

ReputationRep:
    That would be a good thing, after my final exams (June) I have around 15 weeks spare I could do experience in.

What subject? I had to turn down 5+ schools and had around 50% accept me for experience, one rejection and others were no reply.
    I'm a history teacher so not a shortage subject. Although the amount of schools desperate for history teachers would make you think otherwise. I also got a range of experience in schools that ranged from outstanding to requires improvement. Definitely think it helped me more seeing schools that were requires improvement.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a history teacher so not a shortage subject. Although the amount of schools desperate for history teachers would make you think otherwise. I also got a range of experience in schools that ranged from outstanding to requires improvement. Definitely think it helped me more seeing schools that were requires improvement.
    Ahh, I've not had a chance to go to a 'bad' school yet, all of mine were rated excellent/good in Ofsted, my areas pretty good for schools though. I'm kind of leaning more towards the independent sector right now, and I know my university would give me great shots in that sector.

ReputationRep:
    I applied with only 6 days in Year 1 as my only recent school experience (and 4 days in FS that I thought counted beforehand but apparently dont). And my other child-based or informal teaching experience was almost all pre-2007.

I was offered interviews at UEA, Newcastle and Manchester. So if you pick your unis carefully, 5 days in a state school wouldn't be a barrier. And that's for Primary, which certainly isn't a shortage subject.

Edit: I just realised you have loads of classroom experience so the next two paragraphs don't really apply to you. I think you'll be fine if you have 5 days of state school, if the unis you apply to say on their sites that they're happy with that.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Atmy Manchester interview, the tutor explicitly said that UoM believe you don't get any more from weeks and weeks of experience than you do from a few days. Personally I agree, but I know a lot of people don't.

I can't say I'm struggling any more than anyone else on the course, either academically or in terms of stress. Obviously it will get tougher as we move into placement, but I don't really feel much difference between myself and those with TA experience.

I think if you're reflective enough about what you do observe and not naive about teaching being an easy job, then a lot of experience in the classroom isn't entirely necessary unless you personally feel you need it.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, I've not had a chance to go to a 'bad' school yet, all of mine were rated excellent/good in Ofsted, my areas pretty good for schools though. I'm kind of leaning more towards the independent sector right now, and I know my university would give me great shots in that sector.
    If you do a traditional PGCE, you won't get experience in the independent sector.

ReputationRep:
    If you do a traditional PGCE, you won't get experience in the independent sector.
    Not true, there was a guy at the school when I was there doing his pgce at Sunderland and the independent school was his first placement

ReputationRep:
    No, we get a whole stream of trainees at my school.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah like the others said, we had people placed in private schools.

I think days of experience required really varies. I had about eight days and that was never a problem. I know some with less. It is really hard to get experience and seems unfair as it's mostly based on luck. I rang pretty much every school within a 20 mile radius and only two gave me any.

They're doing something with Schools Direct schools in my area where you can pay for pre-pgce experience. I think it's disgusting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    On another note. I understand with apply 1 you get 3 choices, do you have to submit all your choices at once or can you submit them at different times.

ReputationRep:
    On another note. I understand with apply 1 you get 3 choices, do you have to submit all your choices at once or can you submit them at different times.
    All at once I believe.

ReputationRep:
    Not true, there was a guy at the school when I was there doing his pgce at Sunderland and the independent school was his first placement
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    No, we get a whole stream of trainees at my school.
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Yeah like the others said, we had people placed in private schools.

I think days of experience required really varies. I had about eight days and that was never a problem. I know some with less. It is really hard to get experience and seems unfair as it's mostly based on luck. I rang pretty much every school within a 20 mile radius and only two gave me any.

They're doing something with Schools Direct schools in my area where you can pay for pre-pgce experience. I think it's disgusting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Really? We were told on my PGCE that under no circumstances would we be placed in a private school and that the PGCE had to be done in a state school.

The only way around his from what I was aware was to complete an independent PGCE/do a schools direct route in an independent school

ReputationRep:
    Really? We were told on my PGCE that under no circumstances would we be placed in a private school and that the PGCE had to be done in a state school.
    You wouldn't get both placements at a private school, but one is certainly fine. Our school is linked with three different universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    You wouldn't get both placements at a private school, but one is certainly fine. Our school is linked with three different universities.
    Was yours a HMC or ISC school?

ReputationRep:
    Was yours a HMC or ISC school?
    HMC

ReputationRep:
    I would agree that having days and days of experience probably isnt worth it. That said, i and a few others on my course had spent a year working in schools to see if it was really for us, and i feel like that experience is continuing to be valuable into my NQT year. I personally got a job as a cover supervisor at an inner city - never had problems with behaviour management last year, or (touch wood) this year so far. Make of that what you will!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

I've recently started my PGCE (post 16) and when I'm in class, with students, I enjoy it. I haven't done any real lead teaching yet, mostly team teaching with my mentor. However, I get so incredibly anxious about it the day before. I do suffer from anxiety although I've had really useful therapy over the years and it hasn't flared up for a while. I knew the PGCE might mean it would come back, but I wasn't going to let it stop me. I just wondered if there were any other anxiety inflicted teachers or trainees who might be able to advise or signpost me? It's just nice to know I'm not alone. I haven't read through the thread yet, but I intend to!

I am passionate about teaching and about my subject. I'm in a challenging placement setting but I do really like my mentor and the kids. I've been there for about 3 weeks now. I don't deliver classes on my own yet but I think I will be soon. In a way, it's more being judged by my mentor that scares me. I have my first lesson to do on my own on Wednesday. It's only a small group, 2 students, who need GCSE revision help. I'm totally new to teaching 'officially' my experience is based on ESOL community classes which never required 'proper' lesson planning etc. I love the social community side of things which I think is why I was placed where I am. I would rather get to grips with behaviour management etc on placement anyway. I don't want my anxiety to hold me back ever but I do suffer quite badly with it and always have.

"I have been terrified every moment of my life but I have never let it stopped me from doing anything I wanted to do" - George O'Keefe. Love that quote!

I did briefly wonder if I've chosen the wrong age group but I know working with kids or secondary schoolers can be just as challenging, and my classes are much smaller, which I think does help.

Anyway, that's me currently... very grateful to be doing this course but feeling terrified. Weird. I've wanted to do this for ages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by duckybird)
    Hi everyone

I've recently started my PGCE (post 16) and when I'm in class, with students, I enjoy it. I haven't done any real lead teaching yet, mostly team teaching with my mentor. However, I get so incredibly anxious about it the day before. I do suffer from anxiety although I've had really useful therapy over the years and it hasn't flared up for a while. I knew the PGCE might mean it would come back, but I wasn't going to let it stop me. I just wondered if there were any other anxiety inflicted teachers or trainees who might be able to advise or signpost me? It's just nice to know I'm not alone. I haven't read through the thread yet, but I intend to!

I am passionate about teaching and about my subject. I'm in a challenging placement setting but I do really like my mentor and the kids. I've been there for about 3 weeks now. I don't deliver classes on my own yet but I think I will be soon. In a way, it's more being judged by my mentor that scares me. I have my first lesson to do on my own on Wednesday. It's only a small group, 2 students, who need GCSE revision help. I'm totally new to teaching 'officially' my experience is based on ESOL community classes which never required 'proper' lesson planning etc. I love the social community side of things which I think is why I was placed where I am. I would rather get to grips with behaviour management etc on placement anyway. I don't want my anxiety to hold me back ever but I do suffer quite badly with it and always have.

"I have been terrified every moment of my life but I have never let it stopped me from doing anything I wanted to do" - George O'Keefe. Love that quote!

I did briefly wonder if I've chosen the wrong age group but I know working with kids or secondary schoolers can be just as challenging, and my classes are much smaller, which I think does help.

Anyway, that's me currently... very grateful to be doing this course but feeling terrified. Weird. I've wanted to do this for ages.
    Hi.

I can relate to a lot of what you're saying. I'm not doing the PGCE yet, I'm teaching TEFL.

For me, Sunday nights get me anxious. I tend to imagine it worse than it actually is though. Is there anything specific that is worrying you, or is it the unknown?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.