The Ultimate Football Thread IV Watch

This discussion is closed.
Klinsmannic
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by mhsc)
Why? I think he has great tactical awareness, and he has shown this season his ability to find talent on the cheap (Elano, Petrov etc).

And as a man I find him very intelligent with a great sense of humour.

Nothing to complain about tbh at any rate :p:
I'm not complaining, I'm just giving my opinion on a topical story :p:

He may be intelligent, and has lots of winners medals from 80s and 90s, but what he did with England was just a shambles. He let the players dictate him (along with managers, notably Wenger), and if you want that at Chelsea you may as well stick to Grant. He plays boring football, even with City he gets everyone back, except for a quick striker, and attacks down the left with Petrov- far too predictable and it has been found out since Christmas. Also, his uncontrolled spending spree at Lazio still annoys me when I think about it. He's dull, gives **** interviews and is not funny in any way :teeth:

Interesting article about City this season
mhsc
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Klinsmannic)
I'm not complaining, I'm just giving my opinion on a topical story :p:

He may be intelligent, and has lots of winners medals from 80s and 90s, but what he did with England was just a shambles. He let the players dictate him, and if you want that at Chelsea you may as well stick to Grant. He plays boring football, even with City he gets everyone back, except for a quick striker, and attacks down the left with Petrov- far too predictable and it has been found out since Christmas. Also, his uncontrolled spending spree at Lazio still annoys me when I think about it. He's dull, gives **** interviews and is not funny in any way :teeth:
He IS funny :p: You've clearly not seen the right interviews! Like when discussing the available England manager job :laugh:

And as for his tactics at City he's not really had much choice, Petrov being his best player he's just playing to his strengths. I reckon at Chelksi with the money he'd be given he could turn us into prem winners.

And as a sven fan would like to see him win the prem
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
For me it seems his club success has been built on big budgets.

(I could go on but I didn't wake up long ago.)
Klinsmannic
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by mhsc)
He IS funny :p: You've clearly not seen the right interviews! Like when discussing the available England manager job :laugh:

And as for his tactics at City he's not really had much choice, Petrov being his best player he's just playing to his strengths. I reckon at Chelksi with the money he'd be given he could turn us into prem winners.

And as a sven fan would like to see him win the prem
I see you like the guy, which is fair enough. I just don't think he's strong enough to manage a European giant, which Chelsea are/aim to be ASAP. He couldn't hack the pressure of the England job, he just gave way to the players and other managers...an example that immediately springs to mind was Wenger convincing him to take Waclott to the WC, then Sven realising he was no good and not playing him at all- all at the expense of a fit and ready Jermaine Defoe. Those ridiculous player meetings headed up by Neville, Beckham etc were also just beyond belief. The lack of discipline and untouchable status of some players was one of the reasons I was in favour of a hard-nut like Capello to come in overhaul it all. McClown was just an extension of Sven's bad practices.
mhsc
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The "untouchouble" player status thing never stopped Chelksi under Mourinho
Klinsmannic
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Juwel)
For me it seems his club success has been built on big budgets.

(I could go on but I didn't wake up long ago.)
I'd agree with that to an extent. He's never managed a truly big club and thus was never prepared for high-pressure job like England. One of the most baffling things for me was him winning the title with Lazio one season, then dismantling the squad and spending over 100m in one summer, basically creating financial turmoil. He took the chairman, Cragnotti for a ride, promising him the Champions League etc. He's a solid manager masquerading as the second coming of Zagallo or Beckenbauer.

Klinsmannic
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by mhsc)
Big difference between Mourinho and Sven. Mourinho has won everything there is to be won on the club circuit and is obviously a supreme manager. Besides, his untouchables were there for stability and were generally the best men for the job, not because he was scared of them/the press.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by mhsc)
Difference being that Jose Mourinho's criterion for "untouchable" status was whether the player was playing well.
Laevis
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Cech, Terry, Lampard etc didn't begin as untouchables, they earnt that status through their performances. Terry, Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney etc were untouchables from the moment Sven joined England because of their names.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Reason to be cheerful: Ian Wright has quit the BBC's coverage of England games because he no longer wants to be the "court jester".

Wright - who obviously wants to be taken more seriously in his role as presenter of Sky's Gladiators - has hit out at the "formal" coverage of England games favoured by the BBC.

"Times are changing. I don't know how long young people are going to want to sit down and watch that same old 'jacket, shirt and tie' format," said Wright.

"Fans want people who are dressed like them.

"They've got no one to relate to on TV and that's why I've said to them I don't want to do the England games any more.

"I feel like I'm just there as a comedy jester to break the ice with Alan Shearer and Alan Hansen who just do run-of-the-mill things. I can't do that anymore. People want something different."
:rofl:

Shut up Ian
Klinsmannic
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hehe. Do they even wear ties in the studio?
Overmars
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hehe. Do they even wear ties in the studio?
I'm not sad enough to know they often don't IIRC. I don't know what the hell Wrighty's on about. The clothes aren't half as bad as Gavin Peacock's 50 different pink shirts that he always wears on MOTD2.
Klinsmannic
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Very true. To my mind, Wrighty would have made a packet from the Gladiators job so he probably can't be arsed to do the England games anymore :dontknow: He'll be back for the World Cup games in 2010.
RobbieC
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Sven has done a good job for his first season. Good long term buys in there and he has a firm basis on which to build. Plus they did the double on Utd... Must be crazy.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Very true. To my mind, Wrighty would have made a packet from the Gladiators job so he probably can't be arsed to do the England games anymore :dontknow: He'll be back for the World Cup games in 2010.
You don't think he's burnt some bridges now?

-

His comment about fans wanting people who are dressed like them, is symbolic of the sort of contempt in which the BBC has held the public with his appointment in the first place. Ian Wright's leaving could hopefully improve the BBC's coverage, or they could bring in some other buffoon to appeal to the tabloid fraternity.

I wish that, rather than appeal to the lowest common denominator, the BBC looked to raise it. Give Alan Hansen more airtime, get Gordon Strachan back. Make Jonathan Pearce the main commentator. Keep Alan Shearer away from cameras, keep John Motson and Mark Lawrenson away from microphones.
Klinsmannic
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Juwel)
You don't think he's burnt some bridges now?
He's a laugh and has a certain childlike charm about him, thus nobody takes him seriously and I think all will be forgotten in a couple of years.

His comment about fans wanting people who are dressed like them, is symbolic of the sort of contempt in which the BBC has held the public with his appointment in the first place. Ian Wright's leaving could hopefully improve the BBC's coverage, or they could bring in some other buffoon to appeal to the tabloid fraternity.

I wish that, rather than appeal to the lowest common denominator, the BBC looked to raise it. Give Alan Hansen more airtime, get Gordon Strachan back. Make Jonathan Pearce the main commentator. Keep Alan Shearer away from cameras, keep John Motson and Mark Lawrenson away from microphones.
Yeah I'd agree with that. I think the BBC need at least one-loose cannon in a 3-man panel, occasionally Wrighty has lost it and had a rant at Sven/McClown, which I've enjoyed, but they need to get someone in to do that with more credibility and conviction. I really enjoyed MON's rants at the last WC, he totally ****ged off Ibrahimovic for being a bottler and the 'most overrated player ever' which many people thought at the time but nobody had the guts to say on tv until then. Do the pundits really need to be football people though? I've heard journos like Mihir Bose for example making some really analytical points about football, so may be that's a way forward. Who Knows. I really like Marcotti, and Tim Vickery for that matter...why not bring them in?!
Overmars
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Any chance of an Everton victory today?

*fingers crossed*
kpg
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Marcotti...Bose....Think i'd rather keep Wright
Klinsmannic
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't care much for Bose, but Marcotti is knowledgeable guy and very funny when he wants to be. I don't mind Wright, but he rarely makes a meaningful contribution to the analysis. Everyone will have their own preferences, though.
Barça
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
This football sketch is hilarious
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (10)
6.54%
They might tell the bully (16)
10.46%
I don't think they'd understand (28)
18.3%
It might lead to more bullying (57)
37.25%
There's nothing they could do (42)
27.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise