Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beef_Eater)
    Go to another uni. No point wasting another year to be honest. get your degree and be succesful afterwards, i'm sure if you have the determination you can do what you want no matter what uni you go to.
    Well I really want to go into Investment Banking, but it seems in the current climate they're sticking to Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial only?

ReputationRep:
    Serrellen, which college at Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economic Historian 1)
    Any opinions on what I should do next?...Reapply/ go to one of the other unis / other uni, then reapply?
    I would strongly advise you to take a gap year and re-apply. Investment banking is an extremely competitive profession. With the current financial crisis having been caused by a culmination of stupid bankers and risky lending, when the UK eventually does exit the recession, investment banks will only be looking to recruit the top graduates.

Mind you, all those bankers who have been made redudant recently will also be in the jobhunt, making it doubly difficult to land a job in the profession. You have a near perfect academic record, and a year out could arguably help you, in terms of gaining work experience, doing some travelling etc etc.

Personally, I think it was your PS which let you down, LSE places huge emphasis on PS - so perhaps it lacked substance? This possible lack of substance could be remedied by a constructive year out.

ReputationRep:
    Well I really want to go into Investment Banking, but it seems in the current climate they're sticking to Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial only?
    Alledgedly at the moment they're only targeting the G5 (which also includes UCL) but I think it's very loose guidelines that they're using. These people's job's are to seek out the very best potential, so I doubt that they're ignorant enough to assume the top students only come from those five unis (a lot of people simply don't want to/can't afford to live in London which essentially means they can only apply to one of these universities). A solid degree from a good university, when coupled with enough extra's/work-experience will be enough. Plus, in three years by the time you graduate the economy should be a lot stronger and such rigid selection criteria won't be as neccessary.

IMO don't spend a year waiting on two/three unis to accept you - if you like York and think you'll be happy there then go, it's still a very well respected university.

Well done to everyone who got offers today, and a frightened good luck to those who have to endure another uncertain week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrotoxism)
    LSE L101 offer!!

Oh, and to shatter the GCSE myth: I only have 5A*s and I'm not an international student. I only do four A-Levels. There are no special circumstances involved in my application either.

And I wasn't in the gathered pile either.
    Well done mate, it must be nice to dispell the whole GCSE-nazi myth! As for my two cents on Cam v.s LSE - I'd personally go for Cambridge since this is undergraduate level. Your three years at Cambridge will be a unique experience, whereas LSE sounds more like a training camp for the city. The social life is likely to be better at Cambridge too, with the whole collegiate system (assuming your happy with your college) and a whole lot less expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apa123)
    Amar09 or yodude recieve offers today?
    I've got nothing. Any reason why you asked about us in particular?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruhell)
    I would strongly advise you to take a gap year and re-apply. Investment banking is an extremely competitive profession. With the current financial crisis having been caused by a culmination of stupid bankers and risky lending, when the UK eventually does exit the recession, investment banks will only be looking to recruit the top graduates.

Mind you, all those bankers who have been made redudant recently will also be in the jobhunt, making it doubly difficult to land a job in the profession. You have a near perfect academic record, and a year out could arguably help you, in terms of gaining work experience, doing some travelling etc etc.

Personally, I think it was your PS which let you down, LSE places huge emphasis on PS - so perhaps it lacked substance? This possible lack of substance could be remedied by a constructive year out.
    That's what I'm afraid of... working really hard at York, and it being to no avail? I'm prepared to put the work in for a solid first, and I feel I would really enjoy it there (a welcome break from always having lived in London too) but I'm only worried about the social stigma to some extent, although i'm not sure it it actually exists with regards to york...

Having re-read it, I think I tried to cram too much into my PS to be honest, not elaborating on any single point or activity. So perhaps this was a good reason for not being offered a place. But I fear I may face the same dissappointment if I apply again...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninety_nine)
    A solid degree from a good university, when coupled with enough extra's/work-experience will be enough. Plus, in three years by the time you graduate the economy should be a lot stronger and such rigid selection criteria won't be as neccessary.

IMO don't spend a year waiting on two/three unis to accept you - if you like York and think you'll be happy there then go, it's still a very well respected university.
    Thank you for this! It reflects how I currently feel, although I'm very indecisive with regards to this decision, as it will inevitably shape the rest of my life. I think I'll be happy at York, so I'm thinking I should just bite the bullet and go to York...

ReputationRep:
    just got home from an economics tour to london by the school.

rushed to open track.

and i found...

an OFFER for L101!!! soo excited, such a big big big relief to get this. i think i'm still in shock, it's such a great feeling.

a non-gathered pile applicant btw.

good luck to all of u who are left!

ReputationRep:
    I seemed to have an idea stuck in my head that they are going through the Gathered Field in the alphabet order, is that completely wrong?

ReputationRep:
    I'm so fed up with the LSE for not giving me an answer about my application! I mean, c'mon it's been more than 4 months!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VanillaLatte)
    congrats!!!
    i applied for social anthropology too and no news yet
    when did you apply? did you get gathered pile mail? did you apply BA or BSc?? sorry for asking so many questions, but considering someone got accepted for social anthropology now i think i give up hope now ... wating for 4 months
    Hi! I applied October 15th 2008...no gathered pile. I originally applied for the Bsc but then saw this:
    BA Applications 2007: 254
    BA First year students 2007: 34

BSc Applications 2007: 105
    BSc First year students 2007:10

Because of this, I chose the BA because I calculated 13% of applicants end up there for the BA, rather than the 9.5% for the Bsc. (But of course that doesn't mean the people who weren't first year students did not get in, they might have preferred another course)! I've waited (almost) exactly 4 months too... I was considered a home fee status student after filling out the fee questionnaire! I hope you get in too, it would be nice to know someone before we start! Now I have to make the difficult decision of UCL or LSE for my firm. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amzy2)
    i can do better
    i got an offer 2day
    i have 2A*s and only do 3A2s...
    also not international
    You have an AccFi offer, not an L101 offer.

Congratulations, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcb309)
    Hi! I applied October 15th 2008...no gathered pile. I originally applied for the Bsc but then saw this:
    BA Applications 2007: 254
    BA First year students 2007: 34

BSc Applications 2007: 105
    BSc First year students 2007:10

Because of this, I chose the BA because I calculated 13% of applicants end up there for the BA, rather than the 9.5% for the Bsc. (But of course that doesn't mean the people who weren't first year students did not get in, they might have preferred another course)! I've waited (almost) exactly 4 months too... I was considered a home fee status student after filling out the fee questionnaire! I hope you get in too, it would be nice to know someone before we start! Now I have to make the difficult decision of UCL or LSE for my firm. Good luck!
    I had to fill in the fee classification questionnaire as well. I fedexed it from Hong Kong and it was supposed to reach LSE on 6/2. Am I supposed to have got a reply from LSE telling me what status I'm since its been like a week that I have posted it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joyce728)
    I had to fill in the fee classification questionnaire as well. I fedexed it from Hong Kong and it was supposed to reach LSE on 6/2. Am I supposed to have got a reply from LSE telling me what status I'm since its been like a week that I have posted it?
    I also fedexed it, and sent them an email telling them that they should receive it within the next few days. It took roughly 22 hours to reach them. Have you emailed them? It took the LSE around 2 weeks to determine my fee status, but this was back in October, I assume they are very busy right now so it may take longer! I would just send them an email, asking them to confirm whether they have received your fee questionnaire or not!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingkanoot)
    just got home from an economics tour to london by the school.

rushed to open track.

and i found...

an OFFER for L101!!! soo excited, such a big big big relief to get this. i think i'm still in shock, it's such a great feeling.

a non-gathered pile applicant btw.

good luck to all of u who are left!
    ah..... the course that i want:mad:

ReputationRep:
    hey congrats to offers

Anyone heard from philosophy and economics yet? I 'm pretty sure I will be rejected next week , but it seems like no one has mentioned philosophy and economics for a long time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tashminda)
    it's difficult when that happens - I got rejected from Cambridge after being told by all my teachers I'd get in, I had a strong personal statement, excellent reference, I'm Head Girl, good grade history (4 As at AS levels and 4 predicted As for A2), good interview technique blah blah blah....doesn't stop rejection though! in fact, I think it's even harsher when you know you seriously had a chance, which you clearly did, and if they did reject you on the basis of not having History because it wasn't offered to you, that's ridiculous!
    rejected me too!!!!!very unhappy!!!!

That's what I'm afraid of... working really hard at York, and it being to no avail? I'm prepared to put the work in for a solid first, and I feel I would really enjoy it there (a welcome break from always having lived in London too) but I'm only worried about the social stigma to some extent, although i'm not sure it it actually exists with regards to york...

Having re-read it, I think I tried to cram too much into my PS to be honest, not elaborating on any single point or activity. So perhaps this was a good reason for not being offered a place. But I fear I may face the same dissappointment if I apply again...
    Do you really think people only get into decent jobs if they graduate from Oxbridge or the Golden Triangle? York is a 1994 group university and is very well respected generally. Nobody is going to reject you on the grounds that you didn't go to LSE--but a lack of work experience and years wasted waiting to re-apply to unis are going to pick you out like a spotlight. Don't let yourself be led by the blind; the majority of people on this forum know jack ***** about the real world and their advice ranges from ridiculous to dangerous.

Your choice of uni is not the be all and end all and to chase after a single uni is ridiculous. You have a strong choice in York; as a candidate and prospective employee in the future your experience and personal qualities will pick you out more than your educational background, especially in business.

In closing, you were rejected.
    If it were a girl you had just been rejected by, she would have taken out a restraining order on you by now. Get over it and take control of your own future.

ReputationRep:
    haha, i am so happy. finally i got offer from lse for acc and fin. hehe.... pls change my status in the first post,hahahaha. require AAB

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 24, 2009
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.