The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

This university, I swear, we must have the worst admin department in the entire ****ing universe. They uploaded and attached a load of documents refering to LAST years admissions process for Bsc and all the ranks were ****ed. Apparently we have two ranks, one for our foundation/intercalation purposes (actual rank) and one for working out pointless merits.

I'm actually ranked 121 out of 280. Bunch of retards.
Original post by Lantana
Always and forever :bubbles:

Anybody watched this? I can certainly sympathise with some of the feelings bought up.

(Applicant casually lurking)

Thankyou for this, 'tis v. interesting

Also Them Thangs be crazy
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7442
Original post by Orinincandenza

SOOO tempted to neg... :dry:

Thankyou for this, 'tis v. interesting

Also Them Thangs be crazy

Applicant be gone! :rant:
Screw you cranial nerves.
Who knew there was a neuron specific for Halle Berry? Amazing!
Reply 7446
Original post by i'm no superman
Who knew there was a neuron specific for Halle Berry? Amazing!

I don't get it, its probably my small mind. Is it named Halle Berry (kind of like that stupidly named signalling protein in embryology, sonic hedgehog)? Or is it something more complicated?
Finally done for Christmas! Had a bit of a nightmare printing out our last assignment, as my printer ran out of ink 2 pages in, ran down to PC World, I told them the model of my printer and advised me which ink cartridges to buy for that printer, turned out to be the wrong ones, ran back down to PC World, and finally after much deliberating was sold the right ink cartridges! Phew!

Merry Christmas everybody :biggrin:
Pretty much wrapped up all work for this rotation now. Time for chrismas dinners and mess party good times.
Original post by RollerBall
This university, I swear, we must have the worst admin department in the entire ****ing universe. They uploaded and attached a load of documents refering to LAST years admissions process for Bsc and all the ranks were ****ed. Apparently we have two ranks, one for our foundation/intercalation purposes (actual rank) and one for working out pointless merits.

I'm actually ranked 121 out of 280. Bunch of retards.

What the **** is going on with this ranking system? I just checked my ranking and it's 59, my flatmate is 49=, despite me scoring higher than him on every exam (ICA, spotter, finals etc.) since we've been here :s-smilie:

Also I'm in a higher decile than him and I have a lower rank than him (which just doesn't make sense).

Without sound like a dick there has to be a miscalculation there, surely? Do you know how they do it? They say they use Section A and Section B (I don't even know what these are)
Original post by speedystef
What the **** is going on with this ranking system? I just checked my ranking and it's 59, my flatmate is 49=, despite me scoring higher than him on every exam (ICA, spotter, finals etc.) since we've been here :s-smilie:

Also I'm in a higher decile than him and I have a lower rank than him (which just doesn't make sense).

Without sound like a dick there has to be a miscalculation there, surely? Do you know how they do it? They say they use Section A and Section B (I don't even know what these are)

Yeah, it's retarded. For the deciles I think they use just paper A & B. For your rank I think they use B, C and D.

Paper A: Medsoc, PBL write ups & attendence, ICA
Paper B: EMQ and SAQ end of year exams
Paper C: End of year Spotter
Paper D: End of year OSCE
Paper E: SSCs (lol)

I was always under the impression (and this is what we were told 4/5 times at the start of year 1) that for merits/distinction it was A, B, C, D & E. Then for FY1 rankings/intercalation/anything worth something it was B, C & D.

I sent them an email asking if the ranking was out of everyone (~280) or just those who can intercalate but I haven't got a response yet. Decile should corrospond to your rank (as deciles is what you're awarded points for atm on your FY1 application). It *could* work out if both the decile and rank we've been told is for intercalation only and excludes grads/resitters. However, that would be a bit stupid to not tell any grads their ranks as we'll eventually be ranked with them when we graduate.

I was pissed off yesterday as they essentially changed their minds how they wanted to rank us including ICAs, Medsoc and PBL write ups/attendence on equal measures to the written end of year and completely scrapping the weighting of our OSCE and spotter. It is beyond ill logic.
I sent them an email asking if the ranking was out of everyone (~280) or just those who can intercalate but I haven't got a response yet. Decile should corrospond to your rank (as deciles is what you're awarded points for atm on your FY1 application). It *could* work out if both the decile and rank we've been told is for intercalation only and excludes grads/resitters. However, that would be a bit stupid to not tell any grads their ranks as we'll eventually be ranked with them when we graduate.

Except that if you intercalate, you'll graduate with the year below you, so the current GEPs etc won't be ranked alongside you in the end.
They've messed up large style here, how can rank and deciles not correspond to each other, ridiculous.

According to that PDF attached to the email, these rankings were calculated using sections A and B, which by looking at the student handbook is paper A and paper B, so mine and Sam's rankings still don't add up
(edited 12 years ago)
They've messed up large style here, how can rank and deciles not correspond to each other, ridiculous.

According to that PDF attached to the email, these rankings were calculated using sections A and B, which by looking at the student handbook is paper A and paper B, so mine and Sam's rankings still don't add up

Does it say that in last years handbook too that's how they calculate rankings? Does it mention anywhere about including papers B/C in there at all? I haven't got mine to hand with me.

Alex agrees with me as well as to how we were told rankings would be decided before. Get Sam to kick off at the SSLC :tongue:

Original post by Becca-Sarah
Except that if you intercalate, you'll graduate with the year below you, so the current GEPs etc won't be ranked alongside you in the end.

Yeah, I know. They would still include them in the overall ranking as it stands currently though, right?
Yeah, I know. They would still include them in the overall ranking as it stands currently though, right?

Yeh, I think so. We got given our year ranking at Easter and it was out of 190, so including grads. Annoys me though cos it seems pointless knowing that I was xx/190 last year, but I'm now an unknown number in a different year group as with the variability in academic ability across the yeargroups I have no idea where I fit into the year below.
Does it say that in last years handbook too that's how they calculate rankings? Does it mention anywhere about including papers B/C in there at all? I haven't got mine to hand with me.

Alex agrees with me as well as to how we were told rankings would be decided before. Get Sam to kick off at the SSLC :tongue:

Cheapskates?
Cheapskates?

Tonight? I was kind of tempted to play 4chan drinking game but everyones left my flat apart from me and Alex.
Reply 7457
Oh dear gosh, I just loaded up my MRI images then freaked out and closed the screen.
Tempted to just post them in the TSR doctor forum with a poll attached.............
In retrospect, asking a girl in a club if she is wearing fancy dress is probably one of my riskier opening lines.
Reply 7459
Don't **** with sea turtles.

Latest

Trending

Trending