Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinsaysquack)
    Where do you study?

I'm at BL and what we've done so far is have scenarios whereby the patient will have a certain condition etc and the PBL will be based around that.

So for example the one in 8 hours is haemophilia, (well haemophilia A for this patient) so we set learning objectives so that we research and study about haemophilia signs and symptoms, pathophysiology and genetics as well as also the clotting cascade in general.

Depends on the PBL but normally it seems it's one disease but covering a topic that's been mentioned in lectures..

Hows it done with you?
    Keele; yeh sounds similar, i was just tired when reading it and it didn't seem to make sense to me at the time.

We get given a scenario and from it we make learning objectives also, but these range from how to do certain tests, to genetics, to biochem, anatomy and even the dreaded psychosocial. Currently on the cancer unit so this weeks scenario is leukaemia, last two weeks was colorectal cancer. Like you our objectives tend to revolve around the weeks lectures and labs.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Novelty-Mu...#ht_958wt_1140

Must. Buy.This.Mug

(as a TSR themed graduation present :p:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    I'm half contemplating doing a bit of USMLE stuff. But I imagine doing it without the motivation of sitting the exam would probably not be conducive.
    I tried this over Easter, and again over the summer. Utter fail. I need the motivation of the exam, but I don't have £600 spare just to motivate myself!

ReputationRep:
    The general public never cease to amaze me. A girl from the year below me back in sixth form just posted on the facebook that she's off to A&E 'cause her throat feels "odd" after accidently swallowing one after downing a pint last night. Apparently she wants it x-rayed.

You couldn't make this **** up. I wish I could be there in A&E.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rumandraisin)
    Keele; yeh sounds similar, i was just tired when reading it and it didn't seem to make sense to me at the time.

We get given a scenario and from it we make learning objectives also, but these range from how to do certain tests, to genetics, to biochem, anatomy and even the dreaded psychosocial. Currently on the cancer unit so this weeks scenario is leukaemia, last two weeks was colorectal cancer. Like you our objectives tend to revolve around the weeks lectures and labs.
    Sounds quite similar :yep:

Erghh, psychosocial. The dreaded waste of time that you just blag if asked...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lantana)
    I found that lectures took forever to get going and I could read twice the amount in the same time. We had access to the normal 5 year courses lectures but tbh it was just easier reading it up in the books. However, I'm glad I've finished with PBL and only had it for one year.
    I used to feel that way. Still do to some extent.

This year we don't really get lectures; just these interactive mini-lecture/seminar type things that have been really useful. I think there's a difference between clinical and preclinical medicine that's important with this too: preclinical stuff you can largely find out on your own without the need for lectures, but with clinical stuff I really don't think there's an adequate substitute for an experienced clinician taking you through things. They give you little snippets that you just can't get from textbooks.

(Original post by carcinoma)
    Try the questions on passmedicine/pastest.

Its essentially USMLE/Finals.
    Meh. I just like to understand things. I think I probably could motivate myself without exams/questions there. Hell, I basically did my own thing last year without paying much attention to exams.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I saw a Japanese girl walking around campus with a surgeon's mask on today :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    Definitely felt more part of the team today, clerking, cannulating and taking bloods independantly. Frikkin' love this placement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    I saw a Japanese girl walking around campus with a surgeon's mask on today :unsure:
    Apparently in Japanese culture, they do that if they themselves are ill, so as to not infect others around them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carcinoma)
    Try the questions on passmedicine/pastest.

Its essentially USMLE/Finals.
    Pastest is good for finals, crap for USMLE. USMLE World is the gold standard qbank for that exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    Oh but 2 days off a week (not including the weekend), yes please.

Haem aint so bad.
    I am trying to decide whether to apply for haem or immunology, I like the idea of 2 days a week off But I like the look of the previous project titles in immunology too. Meh, I probably won't get in anyway, so there is probs not much point over thinking it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    The general public never cease to amaze me. A girl from the year below me back in sixth form just posted on the facebook that she's off to A&E 'cause her throat feels "odd" after accidently swallowing one after downing a pint last night. Apparently she wants it x-rayed.

You couldn't make this **** up. I wish I could be there in A&E.
    I came, I read, I lol'd.

ReputationRep:
    ^ FFS... (at the neg rep I mean)

ReputationRep:
    Must be the troll again. Literally no neg power.

ReputationRep:
    Ours normally aren't that bad, and are generally fairly clinical, seeing as we don't have the divide.....
    don't think i came across right, i wasn't trying to imply anything just that i think i'd do woefully at them, although explaining hypersensitivity mechanisms i'd go on for hours.... to my detriment of course!

(Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    I'm not sure the amount of Minecraft I play could be counted as an addiction. Yet. But even that has suffered.
    Minecraft! amazing!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Locke)
    don't think i came across right, i wasn't trying to imply anything just that i think i'd do woefully at them, although explaining hypersensitivity mechanisms i'd go on for hours.... to my detriment of course!
    Oh okay I should have borrowed your brain for that 5 minutes

ReputationRep:
    OSCE ovahhhhhhhh - find out results tomorrow - efficiency eh :O
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    OSCE ovahhhhhhhh - find out results tomorrow - efficiency eh :O
    I wish I got mine back that quickly :grumble: I'm still waiting for my anatomy results, which I completed 2 weeks ago and they were marked at the time of my presentations!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrs_bellamy)
    I am trying to decide whether to apply for haem or immunology, I like the idea of 2 days a week off But I like the look of the previous project titles in immunology too. Meh, I probably won't get in anyway, so there is probs not much point over thinking it.
    Do Engineering and get 3 days a week off

ReputationRep:
    Maybe she has a respiratory infection and thinks it will prevent her spreading it to other people? Idk. It's what some people used to do in Hong Kong after SARS.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.