Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Liverpool can still improve other areas, they still have money to spend Suarez money or not :laugh:

Will be interesting to see how it plays out though
    I understand that but if you want a better quality player its going to cost more

ReputationRep:
    I wish Wenger took a similar stance with RVP, Fabrigas etc.. But then again I just hope that suarez refuses to play forcing LFC to sell him in January or the next window. I really hope this comes back to bite liverpool(no pun intended)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kashman117)
    I wish Wenger took a similar stance with RVP, Fabrigas etc.. But then again I just hope that suarez refuses to play forcing LFC to sell him in January or the next window. I really hope this comes back to bite liverpool(no pun intended)
    I was thinking this the other day - Wenger always seems to give players away without a fight. I don't know if that's what he thinks is morally right but I'm sure we could have got higher fees for some players if he stood his ground a little more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is tomorrow's game being televised?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    I was thinking this the other day - Wenger always seems to give players away without a fight. I don't know if that's what he thinks is morally right but I'm sure we could have got higher fees for some players if he stood his ground a little more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Adebayor=25m, Nasri=25m, Toure=15m, Song=15m, Hleb=14m, Overmars/Petit=40m(in 1999!), Anelka=22m(in 1999!)etc. RVP is now 30 and was in his final year, 24m was a great fee(Juve wouldnt go above 15m for example). Fabregas did seem a bit low at the time but we have clauses that could be useful soon and even Utd were only bidding roughly what we sold him for this summer. Even Gervinho for 8m was a good price all considered. The only players he could have got more for were Cole, although Gallas was good at the time and probably Clichy. Overall, nobody could deny that AW has sold extremely well over the years.

Also people have a selective memory wrt Fabregas, that saga went on for literally years and he only left after Cesc started making threats not to train/play. Cole's saga also lasted months whilst RVP wasnt exactly a quick transfer either.

ReputationRep:
    I was a quite calm before but now I'm getting quite worried. I've always been a Wenger supporter. Was questioning him we got knocked out by Bradfod and Blackburn but that's in the past and still think he's the right man. But this is getting beyond frustrating.

Last summer, I believe Arsenal made the fewest signings - 3 and since then, we've only added 2 to that (Monreal and Sanogo). That's 5 players in 2 years! There's 1 frickin' week left til the start of the season and we've gotten rid of 5+ first team players; even though they weren't playing regularly, they were still part of the first team squad.

Leaving signings this late will mean any new singning that may come in, won't be able to gel properly within the squad. That is one of the reason of the pre season friendlies.

This is how I'm feeling right now:

ReputationRep:
    Is it time to panic yet guys?
    Seriously though you'd think that wenger will bring 2-3 players in if he want to aim for the title. The depth mainly if he thinks the first 11 can win the title. I guess there's still time though but now everyone knows arsenal have money, deadline day cheap signings aren't going to work I feel as he'll be forced to pay over the odds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Is it time to panic yet guys?
    Seriously though you'd think that wenger will bring 2-3 players in if he want to aim for the title. The depth mainly if he thinks the first 11 can win the title. I guess there's still time though but now everyone knows arsenal have money, deadline day cheap signings aren't going to work I feel as he'll be forced to pay over the odds.
    I remember saying in June we'll have to wait until late August for our signings and got slacked off by some here. Even then, I still harboured little hope that we'd have a few quality players in now. It's beyond belief the manner in which we are selling and being so static with buying. People may say we are trying but that's not good enough. Cue all the comments from Wenger come September, 'we tried but we found that there was more money than quality in the market. Overall [with the emphasis] though, I am happy with this squad'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    I remember saying in June we'll have to wait until late August for our signings and got slacked off by some here. Even then, I still harboured little hope that we'd have a few quality players in now. It's beyond belief the manner in which we are selling and being so static with buying. People may say we are trying but that's not good enough. Cue all the comments from Wenger come September, 'we tried but we found that there was more money than quality in the market. Overall [with the emphasis] though, I am happy with this squad'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Tbf you got a lot of stick here which obviously wasn't merited. Personally I think arsenal need a poor start before wenger decides to draw his hand tbh. It's a better squad than two seasons ago though so I doubt that'll happen. So it just depends. I won't be surprised to see sanogo get a lot of gametime this season as backup to giroud tbh. He's 20, should be getting a lot of first team football if he's looking to become a top player in the future. Very rarely do you see forwards who come into the first team after 22(which is what would happen if you bought suarez) and do well despite little first team action at the top level. Defenders come slightly later but if they're not playing good amounts of gametime by 24 they're not making it at the club.

Ramsey, chamberlain, walcott, jenkinson, gibbs, wilshere etc. all got extended runs in the team by the age of 20 e.g. and same goes for fabregas, diaby and even the flops.

Likelyhood is that he'll get a signing, but I think it's over for world class/top quality strikers, at most I see a solid striker like michu/huntelaar. Personally would like to see kiessling, would be a cheaper answer to your problems I feel.

ReputationRep:
    Got to be fair Wenger's pretty good when it comes to establishing unknown youth players, but there has to be a line drawn between developing just youth and getting in one or two world class players which is something that I think Arsenal fans are starting to realise. Ashamedly for you lot the most important person in that scenario doesn't seem to know that. Even if you get Suarez you still need a solid CB to be able to compete for the League.

I think somebody like Ashley Williams would compliment Arsenal well. He's built like a tank and is used to playing attractive football so it won't take him long to adapt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarkII)
    Got to be fair Wenger's pretty good when it comes to establishing unknown youth players, but there has to be a line drawn between developing just youth and getting in one or two world class players which is something that I think Arsenal fans are starting to realise. Ashamedly for you lot the most important person in that scenario doesn't seem to know that. Even if you get Suarez you still need a solid CB to be able to compete for the League.

I think somebody like Ashley Williams would compliment Arsenal well. He's built like a tank and is used to playing attractive football so it won't take him long to adapt.
    Not sure why people keep saying this as we conceded the 2nd least number of goals last season. Koscielny is as good as anyone in the EPL, Vermaelen/Sagna are top drawer defenders if they can get back into form after an unusual poor season last time, Mertesacker is very dependable if unspectacular with 100 German caps whilst Monreal is a spanish international and Gibbs/Jenkinson havewon rave reviews. We need cover at CB, although apparently Sagna will offer this meaning we'd need cover at RB. Kos+Mert at CB work very well and no way will AW disrupt them. Szczesny has his critics but despite some people desperate to scapegoat him, he didnt do alot wrong last time out...

Surprisingly. the real problems at Arsenal are at the other end of the pitch as our wing play is often one dimentional and predictable. A new winger/AM would be enormously beneficial and obviously we're crying out for a striker to go with Giroud, who to be fair would still probably get 15-20 goals as our main striker next season.

ReputationRep:
    When I AW says 'things are moving but slowly and surely' we just have to trust him to have identified the players required. Though he is making us all worried. ...what not with the season so close to starting *shivers*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MetropolisBoy)
    When I AW says 'things are moving but slowly and surely' we just have to trust him to have identified the players required. Though he is making us all worried. ...what not with the season so close to starting *shivers*
    Don't you think Wenger has lost it a little? This season should really be last chance saloon for him. Arsenal are clearly on a downward spiral and he's more or less turning a blind eye to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This transfer saga makes no logic sense if you view it through Suarez's own perspective.

You're a club who are fighting for 4th place, not trophies. Arsenal isn't that much of an upgrade in terms of what Suarez wants to achieve and he could ironically find himself playing in the Europa league next season, depending on how the season plans out. If Suarez wants to leave then he should go to a club who win trophies, challenge in Europe and are pretty much guaranteed CL football.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stopmessing)
    This transfer saga makes no logic sense if you view it through Suarez's own perspective.

You're a club who are fighting for 4th place, not trophies. Arsenal isn't that much of an upgrade in terms of what Suarez wants to achieve and he could ironically find himself playing in the Europa league next season, depending on how the season plans out. If Suarez wants to leave then should go to a club who win trophies, challenge in Europe and are pretty much guaranteed CL football.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I just think he's had enough of Liverpool. Arsenal offer a new and fresh challenge. You say ironically he could be playing Europa League football but at the same time, with a couple of more solid signings, he could challenging for the Premier League and even the CL with Arsenal. There's certainly a lot more potential here than at Liverpool - just that the Frenchman in charge doesn't feel like acting on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stopmessing)

You're a club who are fighting for 4th place, not trophies. Arsenal isn't that much of an upgrade in terms of what Suarez wants to achieve and he could ironically find himself playing in the Europa league next season, depending on how the season plans out. If Suarez wants to leave then he should go to a club who win trophies, challenge in Europe and are pretty much guaranteed CL football.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your argument makes no logical sense. Surely the fact we're looking to part with 40m+ when weve spent the last 8 years potless indicates we're looking to do a bit better than just top4. Liverpool havent got the revenue or manager to compete when we have, not to mention CL footie for Suarez at the very least. And if Suarez joined, theres no way we couldnt get at least 4th.

ReputationRep:
    we're not getting suarez any time soon, just want wenger to announce any signing..........

we'll end up with benayoun on loan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Webster2002)
    Is tomorrow's game being televised?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't know about any channels showing it, but you can watched a delayed stream at 5 on City's website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niceguy95)
    we're not getting suarez any time soon, just want wenger to announce any signing..........

True. If we do get him it's gonna practically be deadline day. But since he's banned for the first six games, it doesn't make a difference when we buy him.

Paper rumours saying that Arsenal are rekindling their interest in Rooney. Obviously Chelsea would be his preferred destination but he has gotta to be someone we strongly pursue as an alternative to Suarez. Him or Suarez? Either is good enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niceguy95)

I would be disappointed but tbh I really like Benayoun and wished we had signed him. He was creative happy to be a squad player, and added something different when he came off the bench. He also gave it his all which was a good example for the rest of the squad. I understand about his age and the wages but honestly I still really liked having Benayoun in our team

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.