Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellen111)
    Hey guys I got a total score of 1750 in the ukcat which I know is a very low score are there any unis that I can apply up with that score at all? I have 5A*s and 3As at gcse and A*ABB at a level (I'm a graduate btw)*
    can u try any undergrad courses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vitae)
    Does anyone know what a competitive UKCAT score for Newcastle would be?
    Somewhere around 690 should be competitive for 2017 A100 entry I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elish2chambers)
    Somewhere around 690 should be competitive for 2017 A100 entry I think.
    would it not be a bit lower? Last years cut off was 682.5..seeing as the avgs have dropped... I would say maybe 675 ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikyphoenix)
    Hey guys I have a question
    I'm an international student (and thus applicant) but I am worried about my UKCAT score
    I got VR 680 QR 890 AR 880 SJ Band 1
    I don't know if these UKCAT scores are good enough for an international student.
    Your average is in the 800's. that's all there is to say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lostperson)
    would it not be a bit lower? Last years cut off was 682.5..seeing as the avgs have dropped... I would say maybe 675 ?
    You're probably right to be honest, but I was thinking that 675 would probably be a borderline score based on previous cut-offs and that to be really competitive for interview and comfortably above the threshold perhaps somewhere in the region of 685-700.

ReputationRep:
    You're probably right to be honest, but I was thinking that 675 would probably be a borderline score based on previous cut-offs and that to be really competitive for interview and comfortably above the threshold perhaps somewhere in the region of 685-700.
    Yes I do see what you mean, as in to be safe I think 680+ will be fine this year for a competitive app. How did you score? Are u applying here?

I was really shocked when I saw the avgs were lower this year tbh

ReputationRep:
    HEY GUYS PLEASE COULD I HAVE SOME ADVICE

Which med schools would be the best for someone in my position?

GCSEs: 11A* 2A
    A Levels: AAB (B due to extenuating circumstance- will be re-sitting this year)
    UKCAT score: 730 average, Band1

I'm thinking of King's Extended year, Exeter and Plymouth- what are people's thoughts?

ALSO ANOTHER BIG Q: is it worth me re-sitting an A grade in the hope of getting an A*? (as I was very close to an A* in one of my subjects)

THANK YOU

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

Could do with some help in picking my choices. I'm a biochem grad (2:1) applying for the A100 courses with a UKCAT of 650 Band 1

So far I'm thinking UEA, HYMS, Glasgow and Dundee. Are these sensible choices? Are there any other unis that weight UKCAT less and look at personal statements with more emphasis pre-interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bleepshow)
    Hey guys

Could do with some help in picking my choices. I'm a biochem grad (2:1) applying for the A100 courses with a UKCAT of 650 Band 1

So far I'm thinking UEA, HYMS, Glasgow and Dundee. Are these sensible choices? Are there any other unis that weight UKCAT less and look at personal statements with more emphasis pre-interview?
    what do your A levels look like? xx

ReputationRep:
    Yes I do see what you mean, as in to be safe I think 680+ will be fine this year for a competitive app. How did you score? Are u applying here?

I was really shocked when I saw the avgs were lower this year tbh
    Yeah me too I was dead surprised that they're lower!! Everyone on here seemed to be doing so well!

And I got 717 average with band 1, so not the best score ever but hopefully good enough for Newcastle as I'm definitely applying- I just love the uni!! Are you applying as well?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah me too I was dead surprised that they're lower!! Everyone on here seemed to be doing so well!

And I got 717 average with band 1, so not the best score ever but hopefully good enough for Newcastle as I'm definitely applying- I just love the uni!! Are you applying as well?
    my score is lower haha 700. Yes I will be x

ReputationRep:
    what do your A levels look like? xx
    ABB

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

Heard liverpool and KCL are quite ps heavy. I can't remember any others but if i do

ReputationRep:
    ABB
    isn't Glasgow quite UKCAT heavy ? Have you thought about Keele?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YouHaveProblems)
    Heard liverpool and KCL are quite ps heavy. I can't remember any others but if i do
    KCL are also quite UKCAT heavy though?

ReputationRep:
    They look at GCSEs Alevels Ps Reference Ukcat. so in effect you are supposed to be good all round but i believe they mark the personal statement for shortlisting and ukcat carries a lot of weight for them too. So PS and UKCAT are quite important for KCL, it can be heavy in two regards.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but they also value PS quite a lot, so if you have a very strong PS it could make up for an average UKCAT score and vice versa.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    isn't Glasgow quite UKCAT heavy ? Have you thought about Keele?
    I'm not entirely sure. I think last year they changed their stance to considering UKCAT with all aspects of the application? That said I think their lowest UKCAT entrant was higher this year than previous years so I'm not sure how true that is.

Unfortunately Keele requires GAMSAT which I didn't do too well in and chose not to retake it in September

ReputationRep:
    Would it be correct to say a score of 2050 would be somewhere in the top 12% or so?
    (Original post by BlueBlizzard)
    UKCAT
    For Undergrad Medicine, Dentistry & Veterinary Applicants.

P.S. No Irish Med school requires the UKCAT, despite the title up there. I can't change it now
    UKCAT

P.S. No Irish Med school requires the UKCAT, despite the title up there. I can't change it now
    UKCAT

UKCAT

UKCAT

ReputationRep:
    can u try any undergrad courses?
    I have no option but to apply to undergrad courses but I'm worried that this score is too low for the undergrad courses :/ does anyone know of any unis that may consider my application? Any help will really be appreciated, I'm very worried as I seriously don't know where to apply *

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.