Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Qatar only has 2 divisions.

ReputationRep:
    Hehe, true that.

Point being, he just is not as good as what he thinks he is.

ReputationRep:
    Diaby/Denilson are good enough as back ups as long as enough of the starting eleven are playing. It's only when they play together along with a few other guys on these lists that they show their lack of quality.

I think the lack of clear motivation and heart shows when our 2nd string is playing. It really only takes that much sometimes.

Look at ManUtd right now and their defence. If you think we have it bad then just look at them and then look at the difference at how those fringe players play compared to our lot.

ReputationRep:
    Bring in Mats Hummels, Benzema and maybe a Goalkeeper, like Shay Given!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haz864)
    Bring in Mats Hummels, Benzema and maybe a Goalkeeper, like Shay Given!
    Even if this was possible this will never happen under Wenger so no point even entertaining the idea. Wenger will continue to ignore the problems of the squad and work with what he has got. I would be thankful if he could sign a player with a decent engine and high work rate whilst strong in the tackle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mandingo666)
    Even if this was possible this will never happen under Wenger so no point even entertaining the idea. Wenger will continue to ignore the problems of the squad and work with what he has got. I would be thankful if he could sign a player with a decent engine and high work rate whilst strong in the tackle.
    I personally think if we don't win the league this season, Wenger will change something. I think he will be pressured into splashing the cash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In2deep)
    Diaby/Denilson are good enough as back ups as long as enough of the starting eleven are playing. It's only when they play together along with a few other guys on these lists that they show their lack of quality.

I think the lack of clear motivation and heart shows when our 2nd string is playing. It really only takes that much sometimes.

Look at ManUtd right now and their defence. If you think we have it bad then just look at them and then look at the difference at how those fringe players play compared to our lot.
    I think that's the main problem really. Ability wise, Denilson and Diaby definitely are good enough back ups, but they, along with several other players, have no determination and don't go out there and give their all like players like Wilshere and Cesc do. Wenger maybe needs to try and get some hardworking players in rather than just looking solely at technical ability. I just hope that after the international break we have a few players back and go on a good run, because we are capable, we're just going to have to keep scoring as we'll definitely concede at least one or two goals per game with these clowns in defence and goal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haz864)
    I personally think if we don't win the league this season, Wenger will change something. I think he will be pressured into splashing the cash.
    Doubt it, board won't care as long as he is bringing in the dough.

If we don't win the league we will most likely finish 2nd, Wenger will then use the reasoning that we were very close to winning the league hence only one maybe two small changes need to be made. When the fact is the standard of Utd/Chelsea has dropped massively rather than us improving massively. Not to say we haven't improved but their inconsistency is flattering us.

This is not taking into the possibility of the Cesc/Barca scenario.

ReputationRep:

If we don't win the league we will most likely finish 2nd, Wenger will then use the reasoning that we were very close to winning the league hence only one maybe two small changes need to be made. When the fact is the standard of Utd/Chelsea has dropped massively rather than us improving massively. Not to say we haven't improved but their inconsistency is flattering us.

This is not taking into the possibility of the Cesc/Barca scenario.
    Hopefully we will win the league this season and I hope, as well as many other Arsenal fans, Wenger buys in the summer regardless of what happens in the remainder of this season!

ReputationRep:
    Just to back you up:

Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis recently told Radio 5 live's Sportsweek: "For us winning is certainly important but it is not the end objective of everything."

Source.

Maybe next season Wenger will try to intigrate Ryo into the team, boost shirt sales and relieve some of the 'pressure' he's under - 'In the next few years Ryo will develop and lead ze Arsenal to glory'

ReputationRep:
    I tend to disagree with you fearmongering lads a fare bit, but atm I completely agree with you on Almunia.

The guys immense on his line, but move him a few yards of his goal line and he gets a rush of blod and consistently makes the wrong decisions. Squelchy had it covered, he had sagna arriving as back up, we were in a win win situation. I still cant fathom why he came out.

That alone didnt cost us the game, we didnt really get going until the second half, so all the blame is not on Almunias doorstep. But that mistake could potentially have cost us 2 points, as I could have seen us getting a win at 1-0 down, but at 2-0 down against a resillient Hodgson side, I would have bitten your hand of for a draw at half time tbh.

On the plus side, Ramsey and Wilshere were playing together, and tbh, they dominated the MF. And was it just me, or did Wilshere seem a lot bigger? He wasnt fazed, but i was a bit dissapointed that not many of our players squared up to Mulumbu when he confronted Wilshere. We do have a good team spirit, but to win leagues you have to have a great spirit. If one of them starts on any one of our players, we should be in the ref's and the opposing teams faces. Its small things like that that can change the tide in our season.

its started this season, I've seen Cesc and Wilshere squaring up to players and talking to refs, but all 11 players must do it! Maybe, thats as a result of the cultural differences in other countries i dunno, but its certainly a big part of the PL.

And when we get Song, Cesc and Walcott back after the international break, I reckon we will look a completely different team. Those 3 really do make us tick!

All is not lost, its definetely a massive blow, but we still have 7-8 odd games left, and its definetely doable!

COYG'S!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ar5enal Fan)
    Wenger maybe needs to try and get some hardworking players in rather than just looking solely at technical ability.
    Hit the nail on the head.

That's the root of most our problems. In any system, whether it be real life or in a game, diversification is crucial. While Wenger hast tried to build a cohesive team by solely looking at technical ability, he's ignored a crucial dimension in any successful team. Determined players. It highlights his weakness', and probably why he has never won the CL, like other great managers have.

Wenger's failures have nothing to do with how much he has spent. Players like Flamini, Parlour, Park and Kuyt don't teally cost that much. It's the flashey players like Nasri and Cesc that are pricey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    Just to back you up:

Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis recently told Radio 5 live's Sportsweek: "For us winning is certainly important but it is not the end objective of everything."

Source.

Maybe next season Wenger will try to intigrate Ryo into the team, boost shirt sales and relieve some of the 'pressure' he's under - 'In the next few years Ryo will develop and lead ze Arsenal to glory'

Or he'll fail or end up at Barca. No problem though because by then we have another wonderkid to put all our hopes in.

(Original post by Ar5enal Fan)
    I think that's the main problem really. Ability wise, Denilson and Diaby definitely are good enough back ups, but they, along with several other players, have no determination and don't go out there and give their all like players like Wilshere and Cesc do. Wenger maybe needs to try and get some hardworking players in rather than just looking solely at technical ability. I just hope that after the international break we have a few players back and go on a good run, because we are capable, we're just going to have to keep scoring as we'll definitely concede at least one or two goals per game with these clowns in defence and goal.
    Hardwork is not just a natural trait, it can also be learned and drilled in, something I doubt Arsenal FC are capable of atm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In2deep)
    Hardwork is not just a natural trait, it can also be learned and drilled in, something I doubt Arsenal FC are capable of atm
    Every player who is at the top level is hard working since you cant get there otherwise, it's a demanding sport to get the skills to play at the top.

However, in games there is an extra level of hard working, you can see it in players like Kuyt, Tevez etc who seem to run that extra yard or double back etc

Imo that comes naturally to an extent, to give that week in and week out.

ReputationRep:
    Hardwork is learnt during pre-season and not during the season. Just look at Pep's team, he made the players work more and fitter during pre-season. Before Pep they didn't work as hard as they are doing now and the results of the pre-season was clearly seen in Pep's first season.

Wenger needs to make the players work more during pre-season or improve their ball keeping.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rorydaredking)
    Who played instead of song? Goalie I forgot. I think clichy is **** and gibbs was good.
    I didn't actually know the team you put out when I was there and post match the talk was of a weak united team beating a full strength arse.
    Gibbs was partially at fault for the first goal and had a poor game. He will improve, but right now Clichy is far superior.

Imo when Cesc is out we have to play either Nasri or Arshavin in the centre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.Adams VI)
    No Jeffers was. But Squillaci is up there.
    Cygan might have something to say about that .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Imo that comes naturally to an extent, to give that week in and week out.
    Alves
    Villa
    Keita
    Busquets
    Mascherano
    etc

Those players and other new players Pep introduced weren't naturally gifted to work hard week in/out but he made them into hard workers.

ReputationRep:
    Mascherano?? LOL.

Did you ever see him play for Liverpool? Him and Kuyt were the hardest workers by a mile. Nothing to do with Pep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Mascherano?? LOL.

Did you ever see him play for Liverpool? Him and Kuyt were the hardest workers by a mile. Nothing to do with Pep.
    Not without the ball. Did you see him lately? (yesterday against Getafe)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.