Is Scottish independence a 'good or bad' thing? Watch

Poll: Should Scotland be an independent country?
YES (299)
32.12%
NO (632)
67.88%
This discussion is closed.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Maths Tutor)
Well the SNP doesn't stand for election in Surrey.

Yes, UKIP are making up the weakness in the Tories.

Does UKIP like the Royal Navy flag as much as you do?
Have you ever considered giving a serious response that isn't juvenile and steeped in your trademark anti-Englishness? I'm Scottish, live in Scotland, and even I'm a target for your xenophobia. That should tell you something.
patrickco
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
Why would you say that?
It's merely an exaggeration, I assure you my politics isn't so shallow, however I agree with most SNP policies a lot more than those of the tories, and the tories would definitely have a strengthened position in the left overs of the UK after independence. I imagine I'd much more enjoy living in independent scotland than post independence UK.
Also it feels wrong that such a small group of well of individuals who all attended the same school can have so much power in this country when they are so unrepresentative of it's population.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by patrickco)
It's merely an exaggeration, I assure you my politics isn't so shallow, however I agree with most SNP policies a lot more than those of the tories, and the tories would definitely have a strengthened position in the left overs of the UK after independence. I imagine I'd much more enjoy living in independent scotland than post independence UK.
Also it feels wrong that such a small group of well of individuals who all attended the same school can have so much power in this country when they are so unrepresentative of it's population.
So you embrace economic uncertainty? After all, that's what the SNP is promising us.

There's been a lot made about Eton. Pretty much everybody has a chance to get into politics and make it. We have the same issue with public schools as anywhere else in the UK.
Boab
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So you embrace economic uncertainty? After all, that's what the SNP is promising us.

There's been a lot made about Eton. Pretty much everybody has a chance to get into politics and make it. We have the same issue with public schools as anywhere else in the UK.
All economics is uncertain. We, the YES generation have a 'can do' attitude rather than a defeatist one. Maybe one day you can join us.

MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Boab)
All economics is uncertain. We, the YES generation have a 'can do' attitude rather than a defeatist one. Maybe one day you can join us.
There's varying degrees of uncertainty with the YeSNP campaigns version the most uncertain.

You're can do attitude is nothing more than ignorance of basic economic principals. That can be forgiven on an individual level, but when politicians are blatantly making it up on the fly then that's unforgivable.

Which yes generation are you talking about? It may have missed you by but with the excretion of one high school in the highlands and a few 'special' schools voting yes in mock referendum debates, its becoming apparently clear that the youth vote is expressing a wish to stay in the UK.
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by patrickco)
Labour has virtually never needed Scotland to get in. What is left of the UK will be quite happy to be rid of those whining folk from north of the border who complain about having the second highest levels of public expenditure in the country and more devolution than its neighbours can dream of. Scotland wants to be bribed to stay in the UK-I say RUK shouldn't be held to ransom for these self righteous, whinging bigots and let them go if being in the UK is such a chore.
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Time Tourist)
Great for England, no more Labour.
Sorry to piss on your Home County chips but Labour very rarely needs Scottish votes to get into power.
Boab
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There's varying degrees of uncertainty with the YeSNP campaigns version the most uncertain.

You're can do attitude is nothing more than ignorance of basic economic principals. That can be forgiven on an individual level, but when politicians are blatantly making it up on the fly then that's unforgivable.

Which yes generation are you talking about? It may have missed you by but with the excretion of one high school in the highlands and a few 'special' schools voting yes in mock referendum debates, its becoming apparently clear that the youth vote is expressing a wish to stay in the UK.
I'll ignore the top load of waffle.

As for the youngsters, I take it you didn't read Scotland on Sunday today?

I don't guarantee a YES vote though I am hopeful, but I guarantee here and now that the 18-24 bracket will vote YES. We who campaign for yes know the youth movement and ours pisses all over the NO camp.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Boab)
I'll ignore the top load of waffle.

As for the youngsters, I take it you didn't read Scotland on Sunday today?

I don't guarantee a YES vote though I am hopeful, but I guarantee here and now that the 18-24 bracket will vote YES. We who campaign for yes know the youth movement and ours pisses all over the NO camp.
So why have so many schools, colleges and universities delivered 'no' in their mock referendums?

edit.

Here's one.

http://www.orcadian.co.uk/2014/03/pupils-say-no-in-mock-independence-referendum/
Boab
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Midlander)
Scotland wants to be bribed to stay in the UK-I say RUK shouldn't be held to ransom for these self righteous, whinging bigots and let them go if being in the UK is such a chore.
Why do you even bother posting on this thread?

Bribes? What you on about? We will vote Yes or No. I personally want nothing from the rUK. I want my country to show some pride and prove we can look after ourselves, and maybe, when we do, there'll be a healthier level of respect between our nations.
Boab
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Anas Sarwar just posted this 'new positive campaign picture', obviously as a result of their crunch talks when they binned their original ideas.

Name:  Bj1KWgKIUAEmyMR.jpg-large.jpeg
Views: 67
Size:  49.9 KB

What the hell is that? lmao
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Boab)

Bribes? What you on about? We will vote Yes or No. I personally want nothing from the rUK. I want my country to show some pride and prove we can look after ourselves, and maybe, when we do, there'll be a healthier level of respect between our nations.
The No campaign is being asked to say what more Scots can expect to be offered if they vote no. In my book, this stuff looks like RUK being held to ransom to keep Scotland as part of it-just like the Barnett formula put forward as a sweetener around the '70s referendum.

As for whinging bigots, all we have heard for years from leading Yes politicians is how bad Westminster is, how evil Tories are, how much fairer Scots are, how Scots care more about social equality and so on. It's this self-righteousness that Scotland should be entitled to whatever it wants with no compromise and anybody who opposes it is a scaremongerer.

It may surprise you to know that Scotland's biggest export customer doesn't take kindly to being insulted ad nauseum from across the border.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Boab)

Nothing except the rUK taxpayer being lender if last resort
Boab
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It may surprise you to know that Scotland's biggest export customer doesn't take kindly to being insulted ad nauseum from across the border.
Scots want more say in the running of their own country, so want new power. That is not holding anyone to ransom.

Scots have never taken kindly to constantly hearing how Scotland only survives because of England.

This works both ways you know?!
Boab
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nothing except the rUK taxpayer being lender if last resort
That is a political decision to be taken by the governments in charge after independence. Bigger picture and all that.
Boab
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Boab)
Anas Sarwar just posted this 'new positive campaign picture', obviously as a result of their crunch talks when they binned their original ideas.

Views: 67

What the hell is that? lmao
Views: 41

No, seriously. What is that?!

Do you NO guys not worry that your campaign posters appear to have been created by someone on their lunch break?
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Boab)
That is a political decision to be taken by the governments in charge after independence. Bigger picture and all that.
So you have no answers then?

Seperation at any cost and to he'll with the consequences.
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Boab)
Scots want more say in the running of their own country, so want new power. That is not holding anyone to ransom.

Scots have never taken kindly to constantly hearing how Scotland only survives because of England.

This works both ways you know?!
I hold the conviction that Scotland gets an extremely good deal out of being in the union and think that other parts of the UK should be getting a higher priority on further devolution of powers.

I never said that Scotland is dependent on its neighbour for survival. What I'm saying is that this referendum has seen a real holier than thou attitude being preached by the Yes campaign which is doing a huge disservice to those of us from other parts.

Northern Ireland receives the highest level of public expenditure from Westminster and this has support for the union quite high there because they see it as a sign of Westminster investing in the country. Yes campaigners see the same spending as some kind of petty theft-you only have to glance at Wings Over Scotland to see that.
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Boab)
Views: 41

No, seriously. What is that?!

Do you NO guys not worry that your campaign posters appear to have been created by someone on their lunch break?
My disillusionment with Scottish Labour has soared since the recent conference and Lamont's attempt to pander to the nationalists. Ruth Davidson for me is the most palateable of the Scottish party leaders and that should be a huge wake-up call for the Labour movement up here.

As for the poster, cringeworthy stuff.
Boab
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My disillusionment with Scottish Labour has soared since the recent conference and Lamont's attempt to pander to the nationalists. Ruth Davidson for me is the most palateable of the Scottish party leaders and that should be a huge wake-up call for the Labour movement up here.

As for the poster, cringeworthy stuff.
I'm glad you agree. I am baffled by it.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.13%
No (216)
76.87%

Watched Threads