Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eboracum)
    You got a job now Jam?

Civil Service Fast Stream. There go my government dreams. Fell at the first hurdle. The Maths was just so hard, I knew about three questions...didn't know how to work out the others. Really really can't do Maths, my skills are in other areas. I'm devastated, that was my top choice grad scheme. Going to be a crushing day.
    Get someone else to do the test for you and hope they don't retest you on it later.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    You got a job now Jam?

Civil Service Fast Stream. There go my government dreams. Fell at the first hurdle. The Maths was just so hard, I knew about three questions...didn't know how to work out the others. Really really can't do Maths, my skills are in other areas. I'm devastated, that was my top choice grad scheme. Going to be a crushing day.
    Just looked at the practice Maths test and that is probably the hardest thing i've come across in my entire life, it was so hard. I haven't done anything to do with proportion since I was at school! I somehow got the majority of them right but I have no idea how, most of it was complete guesswork. I worked out what I could in my head, and then selected the answer which was the closest. For the real thing i'd probably use a calculator.

Do you know what percentage you need to pass?

I wouldn't let it get you down too much, my friend has applied and he's got the exact same problem as you but in reverse. He's brilliant at Maths but struggles with the verbal reasoning/essay writing side of things. He did a placement with the Government last year so he'd be a perfect candidate, yet these silly tests might catch him out. It's stupid really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    I wouldn't let it get you down too much, my friend has applied and he's got the exact same problem as you but in reverse. He's brilliant at Maths but struggles with the verbal reasoning/essay writing side of things. He did a placement with the Government last year so he'd be a perfect candidate, yet these silly tests might catch him out. It's stupid really.
    Thanks man, you're a gooden'

Yeah. As a Politics student I'd given anything to be rolling out of Whitehall in a suit. I'm finding the whole process of applying for grad jobs to be a bit soul destroying to be honest. I think I've got a cracking CV for someone my age, done lots of stuff, but so far I've had four rejections, still in the hunt for three others. But it's just like what do you have to do to get hired!

I scraped a C in GCSE Maths and I haven't looked at Maths since. And it's like here we are in final year, I just haven't the time to put hours in training at Maths with so much other stuff to do. If I'm honest I'm shaky at percentages let alone ratios. So annoying when you're failing at the first hurdle and people at the same uni as you are already on Assessment Day

What's your plan SR90, are you applying for grad jobs? I have a Masters offer, so if I don't get a grad job I'm going to take that, not a chance I'm going back to entry level employment, as arrogant as it is, once I've been to uni I just take the view that I'm too good for a shop or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Get someone else to do the test for you and hope they don't retest you on it later.
    It's an option K&K, and I know others do it, but I'm a moral man and wouldn't like to do this. Also you'd almost certainly be testing again. Are you a final year graduate currently applying for graduate schemes as well?

ReputationRep:
    It's an option K&K, and I know others do it, but I'm a moral man and wouldn't like to do this. Also you'd almost certainly be testing again. Are you a final year graduate currently applying for graduate schemes as well?
    Yes. Can already feel the process affecting my third year studies.

ReputationRep:
    Really take your time to practice the tests on AssessmentDay etc. These tests are designed to cut down the number of applicants so it makes sense they are hard.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    What's your plan SR90, are you applying for grad jobs? I have a Masters offer, so if I don't get a grad job I'm going to take that, not a chance I'm going back to entry level employment, as arrogant as it is, once I've been to uni I just take the view that I'm too good for a shop or something.
    Yeah I know what you mean, but I was always told to take any job and then look for one you really want. I'm thinking of moving to either London or Manchester next year so it's just trying to find what is available in either of those cities really. I haven't really applied for any grad schemes yet as i've been too preoccupied with trying to find a job for the short term.

I think i'm a brilliant candidate who is unfortunate not to have a first to my name, but these schemes have like 200 applicants per place. No matter how good we are there will always be so many people who are better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Yeah I know what you mean, but I was always told to take any job and then look for one you really want. I'm thinking of moving to either London or Manchester next year so it's just trying to find what is available in either of those cities really. I haven't really applied for any grad schemes yet as i've been too preoccupied with trying to find a job for the short term.

I think i'm a brilliant candidate who is unfortunate not to have a first to my name, but these schemes have like 200 applicants per place. No matter how good we are there will always be so many people who are better.
    Yes, you've graduated haven't you. Do you find it easier applying to grad jobs now that you don't have the uni work to do? I'm finding it hard to balance, as applying for these schemes and doing these tests is just so time consuming. I've just this morning submitted my 7th application and I'm pretty mentally exhausted and not sure how many more I can do tbh. I have a list of like 20 but I doubt I'll make it down the list.

(Original post by sr90)
    These jobs will have something ridiculous like 150 applicants per place. No matter how good either of us are there will be 100 people who are better :pierre:
    I know man, it's soul destroying. And you meet people that like got in to their first application. The only thing I take is that most people I know in my personal life who have graduated found graduate level employment within a year, so I take hope in that, but I'm beginning to think that graduates schemes are a no go just because of the numbers and that it would be better to explore other ways in!

That's the problem, 150 applicants per place. Far far too many people go to university now, Major and Blair should never have expanded the system, but at the risk of sounding like sour grapes I won't say anymore.

(Original post by Tom_Ford)
    Really take your time to practice the tests on AssessmentDay etc. These tests are designed to cut down the number of applicants so it makes sense they are hard.
    Yeah this is true. It's just difficult man when your a third year and have a lot of uni work to do. To be honest I practised the Verbal Reasoning many times in Summer on that website, but I just can't seem to get any higher than about 20/30. How many do you get? I admit I need more Maths practise. How are they for you, you a final year applying for grad schemes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_Ford)
    ****, just spotted Straight Up G popping his jalebi on the background. Tokennnn.
    lmaoo

ReputationRep:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=164855621
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Why are males so complicated I'm having 'guy troubles' lads, anyone care to helppp? Pretty pls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    Why are males so complicated I'm having 'guy troubles' lads, anyone care to helppp? Pretty pls.
    Males are the most simple of creatures.

What's the matter?
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Males are the most simple of creatures.

What's the matter?
    Ahh Jam

Well basically to make it really short, there's this guy at uni right. We both like each other (We've told each other this) but we're not going out/dating. We've had a kiss etc but nothing more. There's this other girl (as always :rolleyes:) who I think he likes as well, he's always with this girl when I'm not there. On Thursday, I was supposed to meet him for some studying then cinema but he didn't turn up so I went home, I asked a friend if she had seen him and she said that he went out to lunch (At a restaurant, a proper one) with this other girl so I was just like "Meh ok". So over the weekend he emailed me and basically asked how everything was going blah blah blah and I didn't respond. Then this morning, I finally emailed him back saying "I'm in the library in case you care" and he actually came (to my surprise) then he asked me why I'm acting strange/why I'm being like this and I was just like annoyed and didn't really want to talk. Then he said "I missed you btw" and I was like "Ok then" and he goes "Did you miss me" and I said "You're gonna be late for your lecture" and he was like "Alright, what's the matter? Let's talk" and I responded by going "Not now, later" and he quite literally stormed off! Like Woah. Also, I think I should add, I knew this guy before uni, we went to the same Secondary school together and had 'a thing' then but it never really sparked. Also to add, these days when we contact each other his replies are getting more and more cold everyday! But yeah I've never seen him storm off angrily like that :eek: Clearly I'm doing something wrong...

Soz it's bit long Jammy.

All this literally happened a few mins ago (The last part obvs)

ReputationRep:
    Email? wtf what happened to texting

ReputationRep:
    Also gurl, you got communication issues with him, or he's playing you. I'm leaning to the latter, it's always the latter when there's another ***** involved

ReputationRep:
    I'll do it and post if others do too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Do it faster)
    I'll do it and post if others do too
    Brah i think ur gf is a bit too... inexperienced to get a text like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    Brah i think ur gf is a bit too... inexperienced to get a text like that
    was gonna send it to an ex to see the reaction

might do anyway, like regardless of someone else

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Do it faster)
    was gonna send it to an ex to see the reaction

might do anyway, like regardless of someone else
    fair. update if you do

ReputationRep:
    When in doubt, always ask, what would Zurich do?

Spoiler:
    Show
    Zurich would drink and post on TSR, that's what Zurich would do.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 5, 2015
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.