x Turn on thread page Beta

Current Year 13 thread Mark I (2014-2015) watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    This might be stupid but...

I feel like I really want a year out while in uni, and Cambridge doesn't guarantee that.

And now I'm tossing up even firming Cambridge bleurgh

I feel like I applied for the wrong reasons (ie trying to prove people wrong) as opposed to wanting to be surrounded by enthusiastic people (because that'd probably annoy me lol, I don't like talking about school work loads)

But at the same time, I do want to be really really stretched academically and that, and there's a shot at MIT during third year

Idk, also Cambridge give a grand extra each year which is quite a bit
    What'd be the alternative?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    What'd be the alternative?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Durham/Bristol
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by O133)
    It's my first TSR birthday today, I've just remembered!
    Happy bday
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Durham/Bristol
    In that case, either way you'd still be going to very strong universities if you decide Cambs isn't for you. Going to 'Oxbridge' isn't the be all and end all, you'd certainly be as challenged at either of those two.

I'd say, really look into what you want to do and which environment you'd suceed better in - what is your opinion on the 8 week terms? Have you spoken to people at Cambs right now to get an idea of the learning environment? Make a pros/cons list and come to a conclusion.

And, for the goodness of everything in this world, don't be swayed by people touting the prestige factor.

ReputationRep:
    In that case, either way you'd still be going to very strong universities if you decide Cambs isn't for you. Going to 'Oxbridge' isn't the be all and end all, you'd certainly be as challenged at either of those two.

I'd say, really look into what you want to do and which environment you'd suceed better in - what is your opinion on the 8 week terms? Have you spoken to people at Cambs right now to get an idea of the learning environment? Make a pros/cons list and come to a conclusion.

And, for the goodness of everything in this world, don't be swayed by people touting the prestige factor.
    Hmmmm

8 week terms is a super selling point lol, just a hardcore 8 weeks, get it all done. Sum it all over in a week of holidays, and relax. Might sound naive to think I can do that but hey ho

Thanks, I shall make a mental list

I j feel I'll get a lot of backlash if I don't.

ReputationRep:
    This might be stupid but...

I feel like I really want a year out while in uni, and Cambridge doesn't guarantee that.

And now I'm tossing up even firming Cambridge bleurgh

I feel like I applied for the wrong reasons (ie trying to prove people wrong) as opposed to wanting to be surrounded by enthusiastic people (because that'd probably annoy me lol, I don't like talking about school work loads)

But at the same time, I do want to be really really stretched academically and that, and there's a shot at MIT during third year

Idk, also Cambridge give a grand extra each year which is quite a bit
    Go to Cambridge, if you change your mind, you can go elsewhere. You can't do this the other way round.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    Go to Cambridge, if you change your mind, you can go elsewhere. You can't do this the other way round.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Can go elsewhere how? Transferring wouldn't be easy with NatSci to single science

That and all the hassle of finance
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Hmmmm

8 week terms is a super selling point lol, just a hardcore 8 weeks, get it all done. Sum it all over in a week of holidays, and relax. Might sound naive to think I can do that but hey ho

Thanks, I shall make a mental list

I j feel I'll get a lot of backlash if I don't.
    Hahaha, you say that but from what I've heard that one week of "summing over" generally becomes a good month or more of revision. I was at MIT for 6 weeks last summer and that was more than enough for me - way too much pressure!!

Awesome, have serious think about it.

Don't be, it's not their life it's yours - there's always postgrad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can go elsewhere how? Transferring wouldn't be easy with NatSci to single science

That and all the hassle of finance
    Just transfer to another NatSci Uni.

Oxbridge degrees aren't about the course or the atmosphere. They're about the prestige, reputation, and connections. Durham just doesn't offer that to the same extent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha, you say that but from what I've heard that one week of "summing over" generally becomes a good month or more of revision. I was at MIT for 6 weeks last summer and that was more than enough for me - way too much pressure!!

Awesome, have serious think about it.

Don't be, it's not their life it's yours - there's always postgrad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Even if it was a month (which I can't fathom, like how can anything take so long) that's still 16 weeks free a year

Yeah that's true

Oxbridge degrees aren't about the course or the atmosphere. They're about the prestige, reputation, and connections. Durham just doesn't offer that to the same extent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No way am I doing NatSci anywhere else

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They kind of are about the course and atmosphere... Where else in the UK are you going to find such academically intense courses? Yeah, there are people at every uni who stay and work in the library all day but I think it's safe to say there'll be a greater percentage of people who do that at Oxbridge... It's probably worth mentioning that some of Cambridge's courses are criticised for being overly academic, probably a problem for engineering, not really a problem for NatSci though.

prestige, reputation, and connections
    I can't help but feel that those things aren't exactly that important, or if I were to be more bullish, at all, unless you actively want to be a ****ing snob. If you do a STEM degree, you're pretty much guaranteed a job anyway. And Bath was actually rank 1 for industry connections this year.

ReputationRep:

Something that TSR needs to realise. I know several people who have gone to ex - polys and got decent jobs (one of them did media ). Your degree/qualifications do not matter once you have experience.

ReputationRep:
    Hey hope everyone is doing okay just wondering: how much revision do you guys do at the weekends/on week nights? Do you ever have a day off in the week or do you do bits every day with frequent breaks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Caz_)
    Hey hope everyone is doing okay just wondering: how much revision do you guys do at the weekends/on week nights? Do you ever have a day off in the week or do you do bits every day with frequent breaks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm a bit wary when people say they're revising now, but maybe my learning style is very different... If I don't have homework on a week night I will probably do an hours worth or two of past papers or revision. I'll mostly be spamming past papers... I usually take Friday night off, as well as the weekends though. During exam leave and Easter I'll work 7 days a week though

10-15 minute breaks are good, I usually have one after an hour of working.

Also, I just heard about contradiction marks in A level mark schemes, what the actual hell?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    I'm a bit wary when people say they're revising now, but maybe my learning style is very different... If I don't have homework on a week night I will probably do an hours worth or two of past papers or revision. I'll mostly be spamming past papers... I usually take Friday night off, as well as the weekends though. During exam leave and Easter I'll work 7 days a week though

10-15 minute breaks are good, I usually have one after an hour of working.

Also, I just heard about contradiction marks in A level mark schemes, what the actual hell?!
    Sweet. mystudyplan is a good app to schedule what/when to revise - you put your exam dates in and then it allows you to put as percentages how you want your revision time split up, you then put in how much revision you want to do per day and it sorts it out for you

What are contradiction marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Caz_)
    Sweet. mystudyplan is a good app to schedule what/when to revise - you put your exam dates in and then it allows you to put as percentages how you want your revision time split up, you then put in how much revision you want to do per day and it sorts it out for you

What are contradiction marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've figured out my timetable, it's pretty hard coming up with a schedule when you have 6 exams but I'm mainly going to be focusing on maths because it is like twice as hard as my other subjects... At least 60% of my revision time will be spent on maths :lol:

Say you have a 6 marker and you score 6 on that - on the next question, if you write something that contradicts what you wrote in that 6 marker, you get all 6 marks from that question taken away from you.. It was something like that :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    I've figured out my timetable, it's pretty hard coming up with a schedule when you have 6 exams but I'm mainly going to be focusing on maths because it is like twice as hard as my other subjects... At least 60% of my revision time will be spent on maths :lol:

Say you have a 6 marker and you score 6 on that - on the next question, if you write something that contradicts what you wrote in that 6 marker, you get all 6 marks from that question taken away from you.. It was something like that :dontknow:
    Oh my god. That's so harsh taking all of the marks off. If they took 1-2 it wouldn't be too bad and kind of understandable but 6?!

I'm a silly idiot and decided to carry on all four subjects to A2 level so have 10 exams to look forward to this summer :erm: really regret further maths A2 though. Got one mark off failing in a past paper we did in class the other day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Caz_)
    Oh my god. That's so harsh taking all of the marks off. If they took 1-2 it wouldn't be too bad and kind of understandable but 6?!

I'm a silly idiot and decided to carry on all four subjects to A2 level so have 10 exams to look forward to this summer :erm: really regret further maths A2 though. Got one mark off failing in a past paper we did in class the other day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't know if I misheard my friend but honestly, that sounds ridiculous...

Could be worse though, I've got 15 exams and 6 of them are on my first two days then my last exam is 6 days after my second last :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I have a total of 144 past papers to do for my HL subjects :lol:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Bude8)
    I have a total of 144 past papers to do for my HL subjects :lol:
    You are soo lucky!!

Advanced Highers get like no support whatsoever - apart from Maths.

I've been trying to find AH French past papers and have had no luck so far.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.