Count to a MINUS million and be the first forum to do it! (Part 2) Watch

This discussion is closed.
spotify95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by hamza772000)
It's GCSE, and I've got till I start school in September.

Hope you do get it next time.

So, a couple of months - you should be ok at GCSE level

Yep, though it depends if I'm posting at the time the pali is available!

Matrix123
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Let's do it then! We'll have to wait a bit though....

Erm....I would love to be an Engineer, perhaps a Software Engineer or maybe Mechanical, I don't know though, I'm really indecisive, I say these two because they involve my 2 favourite subjects, Maths and Physics, I only like Physics because it has a lot of Maths and it has some cool stuff in it and obviously if I did Software Engineering, that Computing action would kick in as well so.........

I'm still not sure though, I'm going to be doing a lot of research, and I'll try and talk to as many people who are doing this type of stuff next year. (Hopefully )

Don't worry, you're not alone, the reason why I don't wan't to do just a pure Maths degree is because, I'm not really sure of what else you could do apart from becoming a Teacher, or and Accountant etc. I don't think I'd enjoy that, what about you? Would you want to be a teacher or an accountant?

OK!

Oooh cool! Those both sound like great jobs:yep: I love pure maths but not applied so much so I don't like physics all that much...

Yeah, I'm doing a lot of research too - not that I'm getting very far I can generally tell what I don't want but not what I want

That's true. It's pretty much the only thing I'm interested in so far but when I went to search for jobs, I didn't quite like the results I used to always want to be a teacher and I'd definitely consider it but nah, I don't think so. Accounting seems interesting and something I could potentially do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2437011
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by spotify95)
So, a couple of months - you should be ok at GCSE level

Yep, though it depends if I'm posting at the time the pali is available!

Yeah, hopefully so

Hopefully you are

btw, what degree are you doing at uni?

username2437011
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Matrix123)
OK!

Oooh cool! Those both sound like great jobs:yep: I love pure maths but not applied so much so I don't like physics all that much...

Yeah, I'm doing a lot of research too - not that I'm getting very far I can generally tell what I don't want but not what I want

That's true. It's pretty much the only thing I'm interested in so far but when I went to search for jobs, I didn't quite like the results I used to always want to be a teacher and I'd definitely consider it but nah, I don't think so. Accounting seems interesting and something I could potentially do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha, I think we should talk about it more after we graduate , it's a little too early right now

I think I'd enjoy Physics, because after I graduate I want to do something innovative, perhaps do something a little unusual, maybe invent a thing or two

Yeah, I can relate, when I try to do research, I don't seem to get too far either

I really don't want to be a teacher, dealing with kids is definitely not my cup of tea.

Yeah, you could do Accounting if you enjoy it, because you certainly don't wan't to do something you don't enjoy.......

Edit: I just realised how much of this '' emoji I have used, Sorry
spotify95
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yup, oh yeah! I don't know why I'm excited about your results day anyway, good luck again! (I know I've said it at least 5 times now). Ooh, how exactly does the grading system work at university?
Haha, it doesn't hurt to be excited about how other people are going to get on! Particularly when it's to do with something as massive as university results! :yep:

The grading system goes as follows:
Anything that is 70% or more is classed as a 1st - this is the highest classification and is what everyone hopes for!
Anything between 60% and 70% is an "upper second class", or 2.1.
Anything between 50% and 60% is a "lower second class" or 2.2. The two different classes there separating out performance between the "mid range" of grades.
Anything between 40% and 50% is a "third class", or "pass grade" - it is the lowest area that you can pass in, and in all honesty you'll want to try and get up into the 2.2's or 2.1's, rather than a bare pass.
Anything below 40% is a fail.

I'm not sure why they have separated the 50-70% region into 2.1 and 2.2, maybe it's to do with emphasis for students who are marginally better than others, but not good enough to be in the top (1st).

There's a bit of a discussion about the grading systems here if you want to have a look (though it's best not to reply to it, as it is a bit of an old thread).

The thing is, I don't really want to do anything science based in the future but I do like chemistry, which I know is a bit odd. So far, the only courses that I've found any interest in are maths and possibly chemistry.
Tbh, I really can't see myself going further than A Level with computing so maybe that wouldn't be such a great choice. I'm mainly waiting for my results to decide on CompSci. It is interesting but generally goes right over my head so it's a difficult one to go for. If I do really well then that might give me the extra push to go in that direction. The highest I've gotten in Computer Science is a C. If I get an A then I'll probably go for it at A Level.
Hmmm.... maybe that is a bit odd... In which case, go for maths and chemistry, though I don't know what to recommend as anything else.
Yeah, don't go with CompSci if you can't see yourself going anywhere with it after A Level. Go for something that may be more useful for university studies, or something that you will enjoy more. There is quite a big jump in difficulty from GCSE to AS/A2 so if it's going over your head, and you've got a C as highest grade, you might want to look at going for something else in A Level. But that's just my recommendation.

No, I really don't! A couple of teachers asked me if I wanted to do 5 but that would be way too much for me - four seems really hard let alone five! At my sixth form, they said if I want to I can continue all four of my subjects into A2 but have the option to get rid of one if I really want to.

Cool, I'll do that then

Posted from TSR Mobile
5 A Levels is too much, I would say. At my sixth form, they made us do 4 AS levels and then drop to 3 A2s. I was tempted to carry all 4 to A2, but I decided against it and concentrated more on my other 3 subjects, dropping ICT at the end of the AS year.

Matrix123
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Haha, I think we should talk about it more after we graduate , it's a little too early right now

I think I'd enjoy Physics, because after I graduate I want to do something innovative, perhaps do something a little unusual, maybe invent a thing or two

Yeah, I can relate, when I try to do research, I don't seem to get too far either

I really don't want to be a teacher, dealing with kids is definitely not my cup of tea.

Yeah, you could do Accounting if you enjoy it, because you certainly don't wan't to do something you don't enjoy.......

Haha, yeah - just a bit too early

Cool, that'll be really interesting! :yep:

Haha, it takes too much time :unimpressed:

Actually yeah, for the most part, it would not be great...having to pretend to be interesting in what they did at the weekend etc :rofl: I'd probably be at secondary school if any :holmes:

Indeed! I'll have to continue looking into it

Posted from TSR Mobile
spotify95
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah, hopefully so

Hopefully you are

btw, what degree are you doing at uni?

I'm doing Electronic Engineering at university. Just waiting on my results now (July 5th) to see whether I've passed or not. Hoping everything will be good.

It's been very good, we've done a lot of interesting things and I have always been into electronics. I thoroughly recommend it if its something you may be interested in!

username2437011
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Haha, yeah - just a bit too early

Cool, that'll be really interesting! :yep:

Haha, it takes too much time :unimpressed:

Actually yeah, for the most part, it would not be great...having to pretend to be interesting in what they did at the weekend etc :rofl: I'd probably be at secondary school if any :holmes:

Indeed! I'll have to continue looking into it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fine, we'll just hold on for a few years....

It will be, but I was being a little too ambitious

Haha, yeah it can get boring..

You would do yeah, that's the only way you can go about it I guess, hopefully I find some people who could help me out with this strenuous task of finding the right thing for me.........

Matrix123
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Haha, it doesn't hurt to be excited about how other people are going to get on! Particularly when it's to do with something as massive as university results! :yep:

The grading system goes as follows:
Anything that is 70% or more is classed as a 1st - this is the highest classification and is what everyone hopes for!
Anything between 60% and 70% is an "upper second class", or 2.1.
Anything between 50% and 60% is a "lower second class" or 2.2. The two different classes there separating out performance between the "mid range" of grades.
Anything between 40% and 50% is a "third class", or "pass grade" - it is the lowest area that you can pass in, and in all honesty you'll want to try and get up into the 2.2's or 2.1's, rather than a bare pass.
Anything below 40% is a fail.

I'm not sure why they have separated the 50-70% region into 2.1 and 2.2, maybe it's to do with emphasis for students who are marginally better than others, but not good enough to be in the top (1st).

There's a bit of a discussion about the grading systems here if you want to have a look (though it's best not to reply to it, as it is a bit of an old thread).

Hmmm.... maybe that is a bit odd... In which case, go for maths and chemistry, though I don't know what to recommend as anything else.
Yeah, don't go with CompSci if you can't see yourself going anywhere with it after A Level. Go for something that may be more useful for university studies, or something that you will enjoy more. There is quite a big jump in difficulty from GCSE to AS/A2 so if it's going over your head, and you've got a C as highest grade, you might want to look at going for something else in A Level. But that's just my recommendation.

5 A Levels is too much, I would say. At my sixth form, they made us do 4 AS levels and then drop to 3 A2s. I was tempted to carry all 4 to A2, but I decided against it and concentrated more on my other 3 subjects, dropping ICT at the end of the AS year.

True! Yes, university results are veryyy important! It's weird thinking about this because I talk to people at A Level about their exams and it's so strange thinking they're already doing that then will be off to university, then there's you who's already done it all! It's quite a big leap

Ohhh, thanks. That makes a lot of sense :yep: Hopefully you will get that first *fingers crossed*
Yeah, probably (it reminds me of the new numbered system for grading GCSEs which I am glad to have missed!)

That is true...I think I'm now 85% sure that I won't do Computer Science. Yeah, if I can only get a C now, I'll be struggling a lot next year. Thanks for your recommendations

Same:yep:Hmmm...I'll see what happens when I'm in year 12. Besides, it's better to do well in three than alright in four subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2437011
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm doing Electronic Engineering at university. Just waiting on my results now (July 5th) to see whether I've passed or not. Hoping everything will be good.

It's been very good, we've done a lot of interesting things and I have always been into electronics. I thoroughly recommend it if its something you may be interested in!

Oh, that's awesome! Not long left now, good luck with your results, I'm sure you would have definitely passed.

I would definitely consider it and look into it.

What A Levels did you do? And please mention the grades(only if you don't mind, you don't need to, if you don't want to )

Matrix123
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Fine, we'll just hold on for a few years....

It will be, but I was being a little too ambitious

Haha, yeah it can get boring..

You would do yeah, that's the only way you can go about it I guess, hopefully I find some people who could help me out with this strenuous task of finding the right thing for me.........

Yup

If you say so

Indeed, sometimes veryyy boring!

Yeah, hopefully

(Great vocab by the way )

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2437011
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yup

If you say so

Indeed, sometimes veryyy boring!

Yeah, hopefully

(Great vocab by the way )

Posted from TSR Mobile
What could I possibly invent in this day and age? Genetically modify pigs so they have wings and can fly?

It is reallyyy important though....

lol, okay, but it wasn't that great after all, please don't say it was, we don't wan't to start that argument again, remember what we agreed to earlier......

Matrix123
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What could I possibly invent in this day and age? Genetically modify pigs so they have wings and can fly?

It is reallyyy important though....

lol, okay, but it wasn't that great after all, please don't say it was, we don't wan't to start that argument again, remember what we agreed to earlier......

That would be quite the sight!

Yeahhh...

I just think it was quite a cool word and I'd hardly call that an argument and I do remember what we agreed on

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2437011
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That would be quite the sight!

Yeahhh...

I just think it was quite a cool word and I'd hardly call that an argument and I do remember what we agreed on

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha

dw, it'll be over soon

Oh, okay,, fair enough then.

I think it still could be classed as an argument, however a tremendously friendly and extremely non aggressive one

Matrix123
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Haha

dw, it'll be over soon

Oh, okay,, fair enough then.

I think it still could be classed as an argument, however a tremendously friendly and extremely non aggressive one

Hopefully

Yup

Hmmm...I hardly think so. In order to avoid an (actual ) argument, we should probably just agree to disagree

Are you going to sixth form (your school or another) or college next year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
34908seikj
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
-17,516 :yum: the party is in here, I see
username2437011
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hopefully

Yup

Hmmm...I hardly think so. In order to avoid an (actual ) argument, we should probably just agree to disagree

Are you going to sixth form (your school or another) or college next year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
One day

We won't get into an argument but just for your sake and to be on the safe side, I agree to disagree with the fact that our previous conversation regarding being clever was an arguement

I'm going to another school, it's a grammar school, so I'm a bit scared, nervous and anxious tbh What about you?

Matrix123
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 34908seikj)
-17,516 :yum: the party is in here, I see
Not quite a party but yeah...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Matrix123
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
One day

We won't get into an argument but just for your sake and to be on the safe side, I agree to disagree with the fact that our previous conversation regarding being clever was an arguement

I'm going to another school, it's a grammar school, so I'm a bit scared, nervous and anxious tbh What about you?

Yup

On the safe side? Hahaha, OK oh wow, did you go to a state school before that? I would feel like that if I was going to a grammar school too :yep: I'm going to my school's sixth form.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2437011
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yup

On the safe side? Hahaha, OK oh wow, did you go to a state school before that? I would feel like that if I was going to a grammar school too :yep: I'm going to my school's sixth form.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep, don't wan't to have an actual argument y'see (disclaimer: this may not make sense)

Yeah, so I assume you go to a state school, I would go to a different school but ALL the other surrounding schools are SUPER crappy(the nicest way I could put it)

X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (368)
37.32%
No - but I will (74)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (69)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (475)
48.17%

Watched Threads