• TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S27)
    I'm sure most of us have to do a certain number of hours to pass, but do these hours include team teaching and things like that? What about for maths if i am going round helping people with their questions etc?
    It's university dependent. You'll need to check with your tutors.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S27)
    I'm sure most of us have to do a certain number of hours to pass, but do these hours include team teaching and things like that? What about for maths if i am going round helping people with their questions etc?
    It well depend on university. To me, just being in the room answering questions individually counts as observing, not tagging, but your university may have a different opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to have an advice if anyone can please. Basically I am sharing lift with another trainee at the moment because he doesn't drive and I drive and we live quite near. However I start feeling awkward and to be honest sometimes I want to stay at school a bit later and I can't as I have to take him home plus I really want to have my own space in the car just to feel less stressful.. He offered me petrol money but I haven't taken any as I don't mind about money at all, I just need that 30' of peace - he is not annoying or anything but I just don't feel I want to do this anymore.. am I too mean? Certainly he can take a bus, it takes a bit longer though.. I'm so confused - don't know what to do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hana&feather)
    Yes we do although not explicitly, from placement schools to adcademic tutors to the number of folders prepared and lesson plans typed - some just seem super-organised and know-it-all so it's hard not to feel inadequate next to them. However, one of our tutors said that the PGCE is a personal journey - it is about you developing as a good/ outstanding teacher and everyone's journey is different.

After that I'm more relaxed, and talking to various trainees revealed that most of us are feeling overwhelmed and very tired. Everyone is facing some form of challenge so there's no need to compare!
    Thank you for your reply I spent all weekend getting on top of my work so i'm feeling much better now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoannaMilano)
    I did at first, but I think once you start to get to know people- even superficially- you start to get a feel for their strengths and weaknesses more. And that's reassuring, because at the start I was definitely all like "I have no experience and everyone else has no weaknesses". ☺

By 'how much they've done', do you mean experience in schools, or how on top of their pgce paperwork they are? I've noticed there's actually not a massive correlation between classroom experience and PGCE confidence/achievement (unless people were actually teachers before, rather than TAs). Which is super reassuring for me, with relatively little experience.

I meant more paperwork, I've managed to get on top of it now, feeling a lot calmer! I've only had a few days school experience and I don't feel like i'm being held back by that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kipikachuko88)
    I would like to have an advice if anyone can please. Basically I am sharing lift with another trainee at the moment because he doesn't drive and I drive and we live quite near. However I start feeling awkward and to be honest sometimes I want to stay at school a bit later and I can't as I have to take him home plus I really want to have my own space in the car just to feel less stressful.. He offered me petrol money but I haven't taken any as I don't mind about money at all, I just need that 30' of peace - he is not annoying or anything but I just don't feel I want to do this anymore.. am I too mean? Certainly he can take a bus, it takes a bit longer though.. I'm so confused - don't know what to do!
    Just say to him - I would like to spend some time after school if you want to go home earlier then you'll need to get the bus. Personally, I feel as though you're well within your rights to not offer him a lift - but having been in a position where I had to commute the 70 mile round trip - the difference it made when I found a lift was incredible.

ReputationRep:
    It's up to you whether you want to give a lift, although I'd say its a nice thing to do... Also consider whether your uni asked you (for mine you had to fill in a form saying if you'd be able to give lifts. If you did and said yes its only fair to continue as the placements will have been based on it).

If I were you I'd continue to give a lift but would say to them that you need to stay later in order to get some work done. They can then choose to get the bus home if they wish to go earlier, or wait for you (don't feel awkward if they do this as they have the option not to). I get lifts to work and if the girl who drives leaves earlier than I want to I just stay and get the train. Especially since you aren't asking for petrol money the other person should have no problem with this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    Just say to him - I would like to spend some time after school if you want to go home earlier then you'll need to get the bus. Personally, I feel as though you're well within your rights to not offer him a lift - but having been in a position where I had to commute the 70 mile round trip - the difference it made when I found a lift was incredible.
    Thank you for your advice. The trip is only 10 miles so I would think it's not too bad for him to get a bus..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your advice. The trip is only 10 miles so I would think it's not too bad for him to get a bus..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd try and check out the public transport before you say to him - it's only 10 miles but it may not be just one bus - busses might be one an hour etc. I don't want to guilt you, the decision is entirely yours

Out of interest, do you know why it makes you feel more stressed?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just want to say I understand how you feel, having been in the same situation. Having a car makes one feel obliged to offer a taxi service to those who are less fortunate. I don't have a solution, I'm afraid, because how things worked out for me statistically won't work out for you, probably, because I married my passenger.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your advice. The trip is only 10 miles so I would think it's not too bad for him to get a bus
    My placement is less than 5 miles away from the centre of a huge city with great transport links, and it still takes 50 minutes to get there by bus, and that's going against the flow of traffic . Distance doesn't make much difference to how long a public transport commute can take.

Not saying you have to keep giving him a lift if you don't want to, but just suggesting you check out the route before you use that logic with him.

I'd definitely tell him the hours you want to stay and that he can get the bus if he wants to do something different. If someone's giving you a lift- especially if you're not paying anything- then he has to fit to your schedule really.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Having been the passenger I always worked around the driver altho I don't know his particular situation

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

If anyone could please give me some answer why PGCE and PGDE is more important than having an M.Ed or Doctorate in Education? It is confusing for me to choose.

I come from South East Asia and to my general knowledge, having a Master degree in Education is by far makes you more qualified to be a teacher in the major you choose and more likely to be hired. You usually need to learn a further 2 years from your 4-year-Bachelor of Education-degree to earn a Master in Education. You need to choose your major and learn it in detail. You will have a teaching practice where they send you to a school to teach and be observed. And not to mention, make a dissertation and discuss it in a trial attended by your Head of Dept. and other lecturers. All the hellish requirements in order to graduate.

So, it baffled me when I have been told that M.Ed is practically worthless and PGCE or PGDE is the main ticket to be a teacher in UK or Europe. The first time in my life I have to understand that a Post Graduate Certificate and Diploma have more worth than a Master Degree.

I believe that PGCE and PGDE are very difficult things to do and it needs a lot of hard work to earn it because I hear a lot from some of my friends' experience. And I don't doubt that the people that have PGCE or PGDE is qualify to teach. But, why PGCE/PGDE? Why not M.Ed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vina.murray)
    Hello,

If anyone could please give me some answer why PGCE and PGDE is more important than having an M.Ed or Doctorate in Education? It is confusing for me to choose.

I come from South East Asia and to my general knowledge, having a Master degree in Education is by far makes you more qualified to be a teacher in the major you choose and more likely to be hired. You usually need to learn a further 2 years from your 4-year-Bachelor of Education-degree to earn a Master in Education. You need to choose your major and learn it in detail. You will have a teaching practice where they send you to a school to teach and be observed. And not to mention, make a dissertation and discuss it in a trial attended by your Head of Dept. and other lecturers. All the hellish requirements in order to graduate.

So, it baffled me when I have been told that M.Ed is practically worthless and PGCE or PGDE is the main ticket to be a teacher in UK or Europe. The first time in my life I have to understand that a Post Graduate Certificate and Diploma have more worth than a Master Degree.

I believe that PGCE and PGDE are very difficult things to do and it needs a lot of hard work to earn it because I hear a lot from some of my friends' experience. And I don't doubt that the people that have PGCE or PGDE is qualify to teach. But, why PGCE/PGDE? Why not M.Ed?
    An M.Ed in the UK simply isn't a teaching qualification. It's an academic qualification that is more theoretical.

The PGCE isn't particularly about subject knowledge, it's about learning how to teach. Out if 38 weeks on the course, we spend 22 of them in schools (19 of them I the age range we plan to teach). We plan every lesson we teach, and are assessed on a weekly basis by both teachers in the school and university lecturers. You mention the M.Ed has a teaching placement- does it compare to what I just listed for the PGCE in length or workload?

If your M.Ed meets those requirements then I'd clarify that on your CV because that's not really what an M.Ed is here from my understanding.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone - sorry can't quote everyone. I do feel bad if I refuse to give him a lift so I decide to continue and to see how it goes. I have 2 kids so I feel the need to stay in school to finish work and also my only freedom is when I am actually in my car. I feel no freedom when I have this commitment and also sometimes I just want to go to supermarket or this place or that place before I get home..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There's no reason you can't say that to him that you won't be going straight home because you want to go shopping or whatever - I think that the passenger should work around you as the driver

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    There's no reason you can't say that to him that you won't be going straight home because you want to go shopping or whatever - I think that the passenger should work around you as the driver
    Very much this. OP is doing him a favour, not the other way round.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vina.murray)
    Hello,

Yeah, as mentioned, in the UK an M. Ed is about studying education, rather than specifically learning to be a good teacher. It doesn't necessarily involve any placements where you have to teach, it would just be about research. Some people do an M. Ed while teaching after gaining QTS, but QTS is the big thing you must have to teach in any local authority controlled school in the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Start teaching tomorrow!

I am pretty hyped!

I am assured as my lesson is planned well!

Just to keep the behaviour in check and order!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I just have a quick question regarding the assignment. We have a micro teaching next week back in uni and we have to submit all the scheme of work, lesson plans, resources, etc. I can see some very useful resources on the TES forum and I was thinking to use some of the ideas there.. do you think this will be considered as plagiarism?
    Thanks!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I just have a quick question regarding the assignment. We have a micro teaching next week back in uni and we have to submit all the scheme of work, lesson plans, resources, etc. I can see some very useful resources on the TES forum and I was thinking to use some of the ideas there.. do you think this will be considered as plagiarism?
    Thanks!
    TES is an excellent place for resources, especially for beginning teachers. In your real practice you will definitely use it, and I imagine this assignment wool permit it, too. Just be sure that you interpret it in your own way to match your teaching style.

Might just be worth emailing your tutor to check, though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.