Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well done for your results everyone I was wondering if any of you could explain this to me please? I took triple science (OCR gateway science B) in my GCSEs, and today I achieved an A* in all three. The biology and chemistry grades were expected to be A*s, but the physics was a major shock - mainly because the most recent exam went so badly. I thought it was terrible and found it so difficult, half of the paper was panicking and guess work. However, on my results sheet I got not only an A*, but full marks (160 UMS). The same goes for biology and chemistry: 160 UMS. I know this can't be possible and now I'm worrying about what my real grades actually are. Would someone be able to shed some light on this for me please? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I need B for maths and wasn't hopeful after the exam but I got it and was only 16 maths off the A! I'm really pleased as I worked so hard and maths is not my strong point.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aasvogel)
    1 UMS mark over the A* boundary for English Language - relief isn't the word!
    I got 1 UMS mark over the boundary in French and 0 UMS over the boundary in English Language.

ReputationRep:
    Bit disappointed with my self, even though my family are all saying I did well...I got:

Mathematics: A*
    Biology: A*
    Chemistry:A*
    Physics:A* (total surprise)
    ICT:A*

History: A
    Statistics: A
    Spanish:A
    English Literature: A
    English Language:A

I know these are good results, but I really was hoping for atleast 2 more A*s, the two english results were upsetting since I had really tried hard.

Main thing is (as cliche as this sounds) I aim to do medicine but I've been told I'd need atleast 8A*s or so.

Can someone advice me? Do I still stand a chance? I mean I know that I still have A levels and everything else left to do but medicine is so competitive...

I'd really appreciate if someone could help me out!

ReputationRep:
    Well done everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shibucool)
    What did everyone get for AQA GCSE French?
    A*, 300/300! So happy :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsn0b0dy)
    You can't assume he's a muz just because she did a gcse in Arabic lol
    I didn't, however you assumed I did

ReputationRep:
    Got great results
    A* Physics, 4 A's 6 B's and an C in re short course

ReputationRep:
    Well done everyone, these results look awesome!

We survived GCSEs!!!! :grouphugs:

ReputationRep:
    Well it has been a struggle these last 5 years getting my son through the door at school every day, let alone getting him to want to put in any effort.! A couple of times we even had the Education Welfare Officer come to the house to talk to him [and me]. He got his GCSE results today; 6 Grade C`s and 1 Grade D. I`m delighted, as a few years ago, it was looking doubtful he would leave school with any qualifications at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shibucool)
    What did everyone get for AQA GCSE French?
    The Results for GCSE French were very strange I got an A* though and got 100% in both Listening and Reading but only just got an A*(271/300).Its odd because the coursework normally brings the grades up and my French teacher said that the coursework would bring our grades up but it brought my grade down with an average of just 83.9% in the coursework.I scored better in my French exams than my Maths exam.

ReputationRep:
    I got an A* in Maths. So happy with myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    Well it has been a struggle these last 5 years getting my son through the door at school every day, let alone getting him to want to put in any effort.! A couple of times we even had the Education Welfare Officer come to the house to talk to him [and me]. He got his GCSE results today; 6 Grade C`s and 1 Grade D. I`m delighted, as a few years ago, it was looking doubtful he would leave school with any qualifications at all.
    Well done to you and to him

(Original post by skizzle)
    Bit disappointed with my self, even though my family are all saying I did well...I got:

I know these are good results, but I really was hoping for atleast 2 more A*s, the two english results were upsetting since I had really tried hard.

Main thing is (as cliche as this sounds) I aim to do medicine but I've been told I'd need atleast 8A*s or so.

Can someone advice me? Do I still stand a chance? I mean I know that I still have A levels and everything else left to do but medicine is so competitive...

No you don't only for like Birmingham, imperial and Oxbridge honestly A levels will decide your fate more than GCSE's and a high UKCAT score in some places will guarantee you an interview, so there is still a lot of hope yet
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by skizzle)

You certainly don't need 8 A*s to get into medicine. You have fantastic results and you've got a great foundation there for applying to study medicine. Well done!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invest)
    You should be :yep: maths, English and sciences were marked very harshly this year :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invest)
    Pika pika

(well done! :cool:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlanAlty)
    At my college anyway, you couldn't take anything (like science and maths, obviously things such as geography, you didn't even need the GCSE) unless you got a B. Especially with Chemistry, I know people that have gone from an A at GCSE to a C/D/E. Unless you need it, I would suggest trying something else, it's very hard. Or you could retake it whilst doing the AS, which basically means you're definitely going to at least get an A.
    I really like Chemistry though, and I scored A/B in all exams, my coursework brought me down a lot and I have no idea what happened to it. The whole class got really bad, it's annoying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by techno836)
    You should be :yep: maths, English and sciences were marked very harshly this year :yep:
    I've been hearing that on the news lately.. I still managed to get 98/100 ums in chem and 100/100 in physics :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Back after a long day!
    I got 7a* 4a... COMPLETE SURPRISE! Better than I could ever have imagined!
    Well done to EVERYONE - today is a good day!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry97)
    So I got my grades today and I got 7 A*s and 5 As which I am over the moon about!

But I am so annoyed because in English Lit (my favourite subject), Chemistry and Physics I was 1 UMS mark off an A*. Don't get my wrong I am very happy with A grades but its just annoying because I was so close, especially with English

Is it worth a remark? What are the chances of my UMS going up by 1? And I need to take in considerations like the cost and the chance of my mark going down..

Any advice would be appreciated!
    Eng lit is subjective - depends on the examiner so definitEly get a remark, I was 1 ums of an a* in chem too, im gna get it remarked since it's likely to go up, if it goes down u've still got an a :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.