Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Heard of him but can honestly say I know nothing about his ability.
    That's a good sign though.

Does anybody on TSR watch a lot of German football who might know of him?
    Vae is pretty knowledgable on European football in general, Zurich watches a lot of German football himself but he has dissappeared from TSR (probably gone to Syria to fight ISIS)

Only question that needs answering is if he is better than Mignolet :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samir12)
    Vae is pretty knowledgable on European football in general, Zurich watches a lot of German football himself but he has dissappeared from TSR (probably gone to Syria to fight ISIS)

Only question that needs answering is if he is better than Mignolet :P
    I think anyone is better than Mignolet at this point.. who knows maybe he can make himself a hero on Wednesday?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    I think anyone is better than Mignolet at this point.. who knows maybe he can make himself a hero on Wednesday?
    I really hope he does and I would absolutely love him for it.
    However it wouldn't change my opinion that in the long run we need an upgrade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    I really hope he does and I would absolutely love him for it.
    However it wouldn't change my opinion that in the long run we need an upgrade.
    Still don't understand who gave him a new 5 year contract.. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    so we are close to signing Karius! http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport...-city-11341802

I'm so damn glad Klopp has see sense and decided to buy a GK. I have no idea how good he is, I trust Klopp's judgement though.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Origi passed fit for Weds - might be on the bench imo. Likely starting XI the same as v Chelsea.

ReputationRep:
    Long as we buy a damn GK this summer and a decent one at that.

ReputationRep:
    Long as we buy a damn GK this summer and a decent one at that.
    Honestly, if there's one guy I'd trust to sign a young German player, it's Klopp.

I have no doubt we'll sign a keeper, I guess its just a matter of whether said keeper will be distinctly 2nd choice, or competing with Mignolet. I assume the latter.

ReputationRep:
    Still don't understand who gave him a new 5 year contract.. :facepalm:
    Klopp's a fan, called him the most intelligent keeper he's ever worked with (Weidenfeller must be really stupid lol). Although Mignolet does have a degree.

Anyway maybe he's a) happy to run a two keeper rotation system like many of the best in Europe do, b) wanted him around whilst he bedded a younger keeper in after the summer, or c), just wanted to give him confidence and security, which is what I think. A 5 year contract on Mignolet is about 15m, but if the 'gamble' on giving him a new deal had worked and upped his form, then it'd be a bargain. Klopp said himself 'goalkeeping is very, very much about confidence and thinking you are the man', after we gave him the deal.

Okay in all honesty it was a retarded decision but it seems like a Klopp gamble and I'm happy for him to take as many as he wants.

ReputationRep:
    Matip is Cameroonian so won't be going anywhere this summer - perfect time for Matip + Lovren to start training together and cement a partnership before the new season starts?

AFCON next January which will be annoying since we'll lose Matip for a month then instead. Fingers crossed Sakho is back from his ban by then?

Really shows how important it is to have decent cover at CB for those three players.
    Yep good point.

When you consider Sakho's ban and Matip's AFCON, I'm not sure Toure (AFCON himself?), Lucas and Joe Gomez will be enough. Really hope Gomez comes back as he was previously, he was a ****ing monster of a player. But we should probably look for cover from either a young prospect or a Toure-esque veteran. I pray this doesn't mean we keep Skrtel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Honestly, if there's one guy I'd trust to sign a young German player, it's Klopp.

I have no doubt we'll sign a keeper, I guess its just a matter of whether said keeper will be distinctly 2nd choice, or competing with Mignolet. I assume the latter.
    Makes sense we would raid the German market and currently seems like there is quality there. Rafa did the same too with Spain but I hope we don't do a Newcastle with French players..

(Original post by sell my secret)
    Klopp's a fan, called him the most intelligent keeper he's ever worked with (Weidenfeller must be really stupid lol). Although Mignolet does have a degree.

Anyway maybe he's a) happy to run a two keeper rotation system like many of the best in Europe do, b) wanted him around whilst he bedded a younger keeper in after the summer, or c), just wanted to give him confidence and security, which is what I think. A 5 year contract on Mignolet is about 15m, but if the 'gamble' on giving him a new deal had worked and upped his form, then it'd be a bargain. Klopp said himself 'goalkeeping is very, very much about confidence and thinking you are the man', after we gave him the deal.

Okay in all honesty it was a retarded decision but it seems like a Klopp gamble and I'm happy for him to take as many as he wants.
    Pretty sure Mignolet had 2.5 years left on his contract when we extended it to 5 years. We should've waited till this summer before making a decision (2 years being enough that we don't have to take a huge hit financially to force him out). No one was going to want Mignolet on the wages we pay him so we weren't protecting anything of value. Still annoys the hell out of me and most people (me included) will be fuming if we don't sign another GK this summer so fingers crossed we buy someone decent.. Ward reported to be going out on loan.

(Original post by sell my secret)
    Yep good point.

When you consider Sakho's ban and Matip's AFCON, I'm not sure Toure (AFCON himself?), Lucas and Joe Gomez will be enough. Really hope Gomez comes back as he was previously, he was a ****ing monster of a player. But we should probably look for cover from either a young prospect or a Toure-esque veteran. I pray this doesn't mean we keep Skrtel.
    Did we see Gomez at CB? Thought it was only at fullback positions? I think Skrtel being very emotional at the end of the West Brom game was an indication that he's leaving. He's been a great servant of the club even if this season has been really bad for him. Hopes he goes somewhere like Italy and does well.

I think if we have Matip, Lovren, Sakho then we have to go for an experienced player who doesn't mind being on the bench and then can come in and just do a job without fuss or needing games to get momentum. Buying a promising youngster who has 3 CBs vying for first choice means he just won't get any games. Perhaps Lucas can be that experienced cover but I'm not sure that is the solution for next season.

Anyway we'll find out on Wednesday how big our squad needs to be next season. No European football should mean we need 3-5 players less in the squad.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Just realised Bogdan isn't registered for the EL, is he?

And with Ward injured, does that mean Shamal George will be on the bench as our back-up goalkeeper?

ReputationRep:
    If we assume sakho is out for 6 months, he'll be back by November, plenty of time before matip goes to afcon, so we would be okay only having one of skrtel or toure as backup. Of course they could both leave and we wouldnt want to be relying on gomez just yet so then we would probably have to sign a new cb. I also dont think lucas is a suitable backup option unless we're desperate, it seems to me that he constantly needs to be told what to do so he looks fine with lovren or toure but a bit lost alongside skrtel. Regardless, i dont think he'll stay this summer because we'll surely bring a new midfielder in (other than gruijic) and he's already behind allen in the pecking order.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Just realised Bogdan isn't registered for the EL, is he?

And with Ward injured, does that mean Shamal George will be on the bench as our back-up goalkeeper?
    Yea you're right, I hadn't thought of that. Better wrap Mignolet in cotton wool. Shame Enrique isn't in the squad either, he could've gone in goal

(Original post by cBay)
    If we assume sakho is out for 6 months, he'll be back by November, plenty of time before matip goes to afcon, so we would be okay only having one of skrtel or toure as backup. Of course they could both leave and we wouldnt want to be relying on gomez just yet so then we would probably have to sign a new cb. I also dont think lucas is a suitable backup option unless we're desperate, it seems to me that he constantly needs to be told what to do so he looks fine with lovren or toure but a bit lost alongside skrtel. Regardless, i dont think he'll stay this summer because we'll surely bring a new midfielder in (other than gruijic) and he's already behind allen in the pecking order.
    Yea I think those 3 (Matip, Lovren and Sakho) are enough if we have a good 4th choice option. Skrtel is going, I wouldn't be surprised if Toure goes too. Not convinced by relying on Gomez but I'd take another 30-33 year old CB who has some premier league experience to be 4th choice with Lucas as 5th choice.

I think Lucas has done pretty well at CB. The only issue is that his lack of height (even if he is good in the air generally) and just that tad lack of strength makes him a little vulnerable.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think Lucas has done pretty well at CB. The only issue is that his lack of height (even if he is good in the air generally) and just that tad lack of strength makes him a little vulnerable.
    He looks infinitely more comfortable playing on the front foot, which suggests he still feels his future lies in the midfield, which makes me think he may leave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    He looks infinitely more comfortable playing on the front foot, which suggests he still feels his future lies in the midfield, which makes me think he may leave.
    Doesn't Klopp like his defenders to play on the front foot though? I guess with Allen and Lucas with only having a year left makes it a little more complicated. I'd just rather we bought 4-5 players instead of having to sort out our entire squad again. We might even be better holding him to his contract for a year and then letting him go on a free next summer. What would we get for him this summer? 5mil?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Doesn't Klopp like his defenders to play on the front foot though?
    Yeah but we've got actual defenders for that, which is my point.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    So 4th in the TSR LFC classic league, 3rd in H2H. Bluth wins the TSR LFC classic league and Deadpool wins H2H after Lucio was top majority of the season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr tim)
    So 4th in the TSR LFC classic league, 3rd in H2H. Bluth wins the TSR LFC classic league and Deadpool wins H2H after Lucio was top majority of the season.
    I'm actually gutted.
    I was 15 points clear at one stage and royally bottled it in the last quarter to lose ALL of my H2H and regular leagues.

The sooner this season ends the better.
    Maybe real life football can make me feel better tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    Good season in the end after I bottled majority of leagues I was in last season on final GW.

Unlucky Lucio

GG guys and well done Deadpool.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.