Film Fanatics Society - Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
unknownking321
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Madjackismad)
Robin Williams is actually a great actor. I mean, look at him in Good Will Hunting and then look how dark he can get with One Hour Photo and Insomnia.
He's also a great improve comedian. :yes:
mimimimi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by cadaeibfeceh)
Haha same - sometimes I find myself sitting down and watching all 10 seasons of Friends in a week...
Haha! Those short programmes are the worst, the ones that are only 25 minutes long... I always convice myself I'm wasting less time because they're shorter, but then I just watch twice as many...

I remember being very tempted by the cheap complete Friends box set in Zavvi when it was closing down - thankfully I didn't go through with the purchase
unknownking321
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Tom Hooper has won the prize for Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Feature Film at the 63rd Directors Guild of America Awards. :indiff:
MizzCupcakes
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kingrudding)
He was god, at least while Morgan Freeman was on holiday. He then made number 23, fun with **** and jane and Yes man and to be honest, he just lost my interest after that.
Yeah true, those do not meet the standards of the rest of his films.

(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
So, Lost is finally finished, having watched all 6 seasons after being recommended it by several members here and other places. Simply brilliant. Epic. The only complaint I now have is that ... it's finished. :cry: I now feel I will be looking for replacement shows but will never get the same level of storytelling, characterisation, plot twists, mystery and threads all intertwined together. It has raised the bar to such a high level for me.

:moon:
Maybe I should see it then... haven't watched any of it

(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
That he is. Have you watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind? Also a good film.
Nope, though my plan today is to watch The Godfather (I), One flew over the cuckoo's nest and Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind and maybe black swan :yep: havent seen any of them before so it will be an interesting day :couchpotato:
MizzCupcakes
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jace Falco)
Jim Carrey is an anti-vaccination activist, and is therefore certainly not a god. He is, in actual fact, an utter ****ing ****.
I would disagree with him and other actors/actresses for being very silly and out of their mind, not to mention Tom Cruise and his Scientology...but..

What does that have anything to do with his acting and being entertaining?
cadaeibfeceh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MizzCupcakes)
my plan today is to watch The Godfather (I), One flew over the cuckoo's nest and Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind and maybe black swan :yep: havent seen any of them before so it will be an interesting day :couchpotato:
Good plan - won't you be all filmed out this evening?! I love those first 3 and am seeing Black Swan on Wednesday I think.

In the Jim Carrey conversation... I've never thought too highly of his comedy (it's good but not great I think) but I loved him in Eternal Sunshine. I still need to see Man On The Moon but I've heard it's not that good :/
shubham_ag
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If anyone here loves crime/heist movies, Watch "Heat" if you haven't already. One of the most intellihgent movies in this genre I have ever seen!! The chemistry between Al Pacino and Robert De Niro in that coffee table scene is sizzling ( on a non-gay level) :P

Also recommend me some more movies in this genre. I think I have about seen ALL the good ones.
unknownking321
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by shubham_ag)
If anyone here loves crime/heist movies, Watch "Heat" if you haven't already. One of the most intellihgent movies in this genre I have ever seen!! The chemistry between Al Pacino and Robert De Niro in that coffee table scene is sizzling ( on a non-gay level) :P

Also recommend me some more movies in this genre. I think I have about seen ALL the good ones.
Inside Man, The Town and Dog Day Afternoon. :yes:
Phalanges
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Madjackismad)
Robin Williams is actually a great actor. I mean, look at him in Good Will Hunting and then look how dark he can get with One Hour Photo and Insomnia.

I don't know what it is about him, but I just have a strong dislike of him.

(Original post by Roobsa)
Senna won the World Cinema Audience Award for Documentary film award at the Sundance film festival awards. :love:

I know I'm biased as an F1 fan but it's going to be so awesome.

Live stream
Project Nim and Hell and Back Again also caught my eye form the docs on show.
Student2806
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Phalanges)
I don't know what it is about him, but I just have a strong dislike of him.
I can't take RW seriously. Whenever I see him all I can picture is Mrs ****ing Doubtfire.
Roobsa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Student2806)
I can't take RW seriously. Whenever I see him all I can picture is Mrs ****ing Doubtfire.
All I picture is the Family Guy parody of him.
cadaeibfeceh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Student2806)
Thankfully I've never seen that - I just think a cross between Aladdin's Genie and the guy from Good Morning, Vietnam.
MizzCupcakes
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Good plan - won't you be all filmed out this evening?! I love those first 3 and am seeing Black Swan on Wednesday I think.

In the Jim Carrey conversation... I've never thought too highly of his comedy (it's good but not great I think) but I loved him in Eternal Sunshine. I still need to see Man On The Moon but I've heard it's not that good :/
Haha maybe but I havent got much else to do..figured I would read some in my driving textbook between each so that I am doing something more productive

Yeah, Jim Carrey is a special kind of humor I've personally never really liked Ben Stiller much though Tropic Thunder is incredibly funny and great
aja89
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The only Jim Carrey film that has ever made me laugh is Liar Liar.
hardees
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Haha same - sometimes I find myself sitting down and watching all 10 seasons of Friends in a week...
Watching it as I write I've seen them all, but I can't help watching them again and again!
hardees
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by aja89)
The only Jim Carrey film that has ever made me laugh is Liar Liar.
Have you ever watched Dumb and Dumber?
Jace Falco
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MizzCupcakes)
I would disagree with him and other actors/actresses for being very silly and out of their mind, not to mention Tom Cruise and his Scientology...but..

What does that have anything to do with his acting and being entertaining?
You said he was a god. That also has nothing to do with his acting. I presented a valid argument against your theory of godliness.
MizzCupcakes
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jace Falco)
You said he was a god. That also has nothing to do with his acting. I presented a valid argument against your theory of godliness.
Somewhat true, though I was more pointing to the fact that his acting and entertaining skills are godlike therefore making him a god. I'm using god as an adjective here without relating it to any religious aspects, though using that term does so I guess we can agree to disagree to avoid further discussion :dontknow:
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't really see how Carrey can be accused of having great acting skills. I think I've only ever seen him play two different roles, and he chronically over-acts.
cambo211
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Phalanges)
I don't really see how Carrey can be accused of having great acting skills. I think I've only ever seen him play two different roles, and he chronically over-acts.
That does make a funny outake from liar liar where one of the other characters just screams overactor at him during an argument where he goes over the top.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (108)
19.78%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
40.66%
Nope, not that interesting (216)
39.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed