Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    A player getting a long term injury is not equally as plausible as him not getting a long term injury
    When it's Fabregas playing for Arsenal (in fact, any player playing for Arsenal), then yes, it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    We had around £150m saved at that point. We also recouped a fee of £12m for Vela, added to that £15m for Vermaelen and another £4m for both Djourou and Miquel.

Added up that's around £31m making the reserve £181m

Our 5 summer signings had only cost us around £77m (Sanchez 30, Debuchy 12, Welbeck 16, Chambers 16 and Ospina 3). That's a net spend of around £46m and the reports all year were that Wenger was allocated a budget of around £100m

We could have affordered to pay twice of what Fabregas was worth. The decision wasn't based on finances but more Wengers plan. We should have brought Cesc back.
    I really do wish people would stop quoting the £150mil, you don't spend all your money in one year, that's idiocy. And even if we wanted to, surely a CDM, GK, CB, RW and ST would be higher up the pecking order than a CM no matter how good they are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    I really do wish people would stop quoting the £150mil, you don't spend all your money in one year, that's idiocy. And even if we wanted to, surely a CDM, GK, CB, RW and ST would be higher up the pecking order than a CM no matter how good they are

But I didn't say we spend the £150m. I said it would have been feasible to sign both Cesc/Alexis and still have plenty of money left over for other positions.

Just want to remind you that Ospina's only 26. He still has lots of scope to improve.

ReputationRep:
    Absolute rubbish that we couldn't afford Cesc. Wenger simply didn't want to rock the boat with so many quality midfielders. Fair play to him it must have not been an easy decision to make, it is hard to justify spending £30M on cesc when we had Ozil, Ramsey, Ox and a fit Wilshere at the time.

I said at the time we should have signed him. The likes of Rosicky, Arteta, Santi, Flamini, Diaby will have either left Arsenal or have retired in the next 2/3 years but looking back over the season he isn't really want we needed he would have been useful when Ramsey, Jack and Arteta were all out injured but I'd rather £30M be spend on some proper CDM. If a player like Coq can do the job effectively we shouldn't even be spending that much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    But I didn't say we spend the £150m. I said it would have been feasible to sign both Cesc/Alexis and still have plenty of money left over for other positions.

Just want to remind you that Ospina's only 26. He still has lots of scope to improve.

If you include Fabregas that's half our reserves gone, one more transfer window like that and we've used all our funds. Also, Ospina might not be complete ****, but you can't deny our GK situation is worse than our CM situation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    Absolute rubbish that we couldn't afford Cesc. Wenger simply didn't want to rock the boat with so many quality midfielders. Fair play to him it must have not been an easy decision to make, it is hard to justify spending £30M on cesc when we had Ozil, Ramsey, Ox and a fit Wilshere at the time.

I said at the time we should have signed him. The likes of Rosicky, Arteta, Santi, Flamini, Diaby will have either left Arsenal or have retired in the next 2/3 years but looking back over the season he isn't really want we needed he would have been useful when Ramsey, Jack and Arteta were all out injured but I'd rather £30M be spend on some proper CDM. If a player like Coq can do the job effectively we shouldn't even be spending that much
    Not sure what to make of Coq. He's been brilliant consistently for us since he's come back, but I don't know if he can maintain this or get better to an extent. The instinct now is to continue using him ahead of Flam and Arteta but I wouldn't want to go in to next season and then in like November be thinking that we really badly needed a CDM. Could still sign another, considering Arteta and Flamini are ageing. Coq is essentially the replacement for Flamini, I would really really like us to go in for Schniederlin. He has the potential of doing so well at the emirates.

ReputationRep:
    An article that supports my view regarding Cesc Fabregas

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...-10182793.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SA-1)
    Not sure what to make of Coq. He's been brilliant consistently for us since he's come back, but I don't know if he can maintain this or get better to an extent. The instinct now is to continue using him ahead of Flam and Arteta but I wouldn't want to go in to next season and then in like November be thinking that we really badly needed a CDM. Could still sign another, considering Arteta and Flamini are ageing. Coq is essentially the replacement for Flamini, I would really really like us to go in for Schniederlin. He has the potential of doing so well at the emirates.
    I share the same feelings about Coq but I think the simplicity of his role will make it easier to maintain a consistent level of performance. Arteta and Flamini shouldn't start any games as long as Coq is fit tbh, they're back up players now.

I'm a big fan of Schneiderlin. The difficulty in bringing him to Arsenal is that he prefers to play as a CM B2B. He enjoys attacking and covering ground in the middle of the pitch very similar to Rasmey. Schneiderlin has the discipline and ability to play as a DM but his attacking talents and energy is wasted if he's limited to a DM role that requires discipline in order to concentrate on the defence and not go forward.

With Coq playing as DM Schneiderlin can move up and play that B2B role he prefers but let's not forget that Ramsey, Wilshere and in the future possibly OX all want to play in that position. Schneiderlin CM versatility in that sense could be very useful. We can only accommodate one B2B CM in the 4-2-3-1 we're playing atm Santi is playing there currently which I dislike, he goes missing in matches far too often and lacks the physicality to defend or impose himself in key areas. He relies too much on his technique to justify a starting place as CM imo. It seems like he's only in the lineup to maintain possession really.

ReputationRep:
    Biggest day of the season tomorrow, D-Day.

Utd win and we win, suddenly a double is on.

Rentboys win and we lose and it's over.

ReputationRep:

If we'd bought back the snake we wouldn't have got Welbz or Gabriel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelfox)

Just stop, it isn't going to happen, the league was officially won last week

ReputationRep:

please dont. double is really not on... would still be a potential 7 points behind..

even if we somehow manage to beat them and united.. it still means they have to drop another 5 points

Ok.. so we pray that liverpool also beat them? sure.. not impossible..

But who else?

Lecister? Palace? West brom? Sunderland?

Its not happening.

The last 1% of hope, died last weekend with their late goal agains QPR. Had that not been scored, then sure.. there would still have been a hope, given they would have just had to loose and draw their remaining 'big' games..

But now its over.

ReputationRep:
    If we'd bought back the snake we wouldn't have got Welbz or Gabriel.
    Not sure you're making the point you think you are. Plus if he'd re-signed he wouldn't have been a "snake" either

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    Not sure you're making the point you think you are. Plus if he'd resigned he wouldn't have been a "snake" either
    Bloke went on strike to leave, feigned injury, and only wanted to come back because his dream went sour.

ReputationRep:
    So he isn't a snake?

"If you ever see me in a Chelsea shirt, you have permission to kill me."

Makes sense.

On a more positive note, feeling confident about Reading tbh. Would like to see Wilshere back who really needs to put in a good performance and the combination of Ozil alongside Jack is always brilliant. Reading won't roll over though.

ReputationRep:
    I share the same feelings about Coq but I think the simplicity of his role will make it easier to maintain a consistent level of performance. Arteta and Flamini shouldn't start any games as long as Coq is fit tbh, they're back up players now.

I'm a big fan of Schneiderlin. The difficulty in bringing him to Arsenal is that he prefers to play as a CM B2B. He enjoys attacking and covering ground in the middle of the pitch very similar to Rasmey. Schneiderlin has the discipline and ability to play as a DM but his attacking talents and energy is wasted if he's limited to a DM role that requires discipline in order to concentrate on the defence and not go forward.

With Coq playing as DM Schneiderlin can move up and play that B2B role he prefers but let's not forget that Ramsey, Wilshere and in the future possibly OX all want to play in that position. Schneiderlin CM versatility in that sense could be very useful. We can only accommodate one B2B CM in the 4-2-3-1 we're playing atm Santi is playing there currently which I dislike, he goes missing in matches far too often and lacks the physicality to defend or impose himself in key areas. He relies too much on his technique to justify a starting place as CM imo. It seems like he's only in the lineup to maintain possession really.
    Yup, completely agree with regards to Arteta and Flamini not starting over Coq, and I hope Wenger keeps Coq playing.

I can see Schniederlin basically being our Matic. Very disciplined and will do his job right; if Wenger wants him to hold, he will. In a game like Monaco away, if Wenger needs him to play B2B, he will. I know Wenger, Ox and even Ox's dad have said they all see him playing centrally but I honestly doubt it'll happen. I think he's far better on the wing and his performances have shown that. On paper, the amount of B2B players fighting for one spot would be tragic but realistically, I don't see Ramsey and Wilshere being fit at the same time, and if they are it wouldn't be for long.

Also, I've noticed us move away from the 4-2-3-1, or rather we use a 4-3-3 a lot more frequently, where Ozil or Santi play on the right - and it's worked well so far so there's no real need to change it. In an Arsenal side with Schniederlin, a 4-3-3 could be something like:

Alexis - Giroud - Ozil

Wilshere - Schniederlin - Ramsey

Gibbs - Koscielny - Gabriel - Bell/Jenko/Debuchy

With the three in midfield playing narrow, and Alexis and Ozil going wide. Ozil did quite well from the right in the world cup too.

I see that working quite well. Jack and Ramsey both have that burst from the middle, and Schniederlin can just hold his ground. Having said that, it works perfectly well with Coq too.

Tbh, I really think Schniederlin is the type of player we've been missing. Obv with the emergence of Coq, we should prioritise other positions first though.

ReputationRep:
    You're missing the point, if he re-signed for us he wouldn't have gone to Chelsea and wouldn't be a snake...

Also, just realised re-signed and resigned are completely different things

ReputationRep:
    Tbf, he never actually said that, it's just bitter Arsenal fans making up ****. He is a snake, but there's no need to fake quotes.

I don't know why but I have a feeling Villa might pull off a shock. Benteke is looking in top form, and Liverpool are not.

ReputationRep:
    I get the feeling a summer clear-out is needed again, sooo much deadwood when you look at the squad. Arteta, Flam, Diaby, Poldi, Sanogo, Campbell are all players I'd happily see leave in the summer (bar 1 of Flam and Arteta who could be good 3rd choice CDM/ ball distributor and mentor to the younger CM's). Think of the wages you can get rid of by offloading them, not even considering transfer fees. When you look at our squad as a whole we're only 1 or 2 top players and a few squad players away really. Imagine a starting XI of

Giroud
    Sanchez Ozil Ramsey Walcott
    (Sneiderlain)
    Monreal Kosc Mert Debuchy
    (Cech/ Lloris level gk)

and a second XI of:

(new St, Dybala maybe or Lacazette?)
    (new winger, Pedro, even Milner?) Cazorla Wilshere Ox
    Coq
    Gibbs Gabriel (new CB, Smalling?) Jenk
    Ospina/ Szs

And that would still leave one of Szs and Ospina, Martinez, Welbeck, Wellington Silva (not that he matters), Gnabry, Chambers and Bellerin.

That is a SOLID squad capable of challenging for the title without any real Galacticos £35mil signings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    Tbf, he never actually said that, it's just bitter Arsenal fans making up ****. He is a snake, but there's no need to fake quotes.

I don't know why but I have a feeling Villa might pull off a shock. Benteke is looking in top form, and Liverpool are not.
    A shock would be a Liverpool win imo

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 12, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.