The Commons Bar Mk IX - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CescaD96)
I have a 10 week summer now, have for the past 3 years. My exams finish mid June.
Again how can you like that?! I'd die.
Airmed
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Again how can you like that?! I'd die.
I hate it if I'm honest.
DanE1998
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Afternoon,

How is everyone?
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I hate it if I'm honest.
I don't blame you. Is education devolved to NI then?
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
I don't blame you. Is education devolved to NI then?
Obviously. And it must work, we do perform best overall in the UK.
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DanE1998)
Afternoon,

How is everyone?

Essay learning. How are you, sir?
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DanE1998)
Afternoon,

How is everyone?
Good thanks. Yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
St. Brynjar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Green_Pink)
That's where I totally disagree. We do have a hard line on racism, and hooliganism in England is all but extinct. We have a hard line to the extent that Tottenham fans have had a protracted legal battle because our adopting of the word Yid to OPPOSE racists for a number of decades was suddenly deemed to be offensive. This wasn't by Jewish supporters who were actually found to be massively in favour of it. It was a Chelsra-supporting comedian and the Metropolitan Police, of course the perfect moral arbiters of society. All this nonsense has done is made everyone at football games feel like criminals or bigots hated by the establishment (in combination with the moronic anti football fan laws still in place from Maggie's time), and crucially made the actual dangerous minority feel like what they're doing is no different to other football fans and part of an attempt to fight back against an establishment who hates them. It's UKIP syndrome - if you label the fairly innocent opinions of hundreds of thousands of people unacceptable, you'll create the perfect place for the hundreds of actually bigots to hide and be able to claim there's is the same fight. And at that stage, its too late to acknowledge that it isn't racist to want out of Europe, or that the people singing at Sol Campbell aren't the same as those racists pushing black men off trains.

The other thing is whether minorities can enjoy games hassle free. I actually think they can. You know as well as I do that the abuse will be based on literally anything to the opposition, and I think minorities who actually attend can see this as well and know that it's not them being targeted.
I don't think we're ever going to agree. I said 'harder' deliberately. That doesn't mean bans, which we already have. It has to come from a social movement. The responsibility lies with the passive crowd members who join in with these chants. I shouldn't have to say it again, it's mob mentality. I don't have a massive problem with the Yid thing (my Spurs supporting friend keeps me well versed in that) because that's cultural subversion. But that has absolutely nothing to do with the disgraceful Campbell chant.

i think your bigot point is a massive generalisation. I've never met anyone who's made to feel like a bigot at a game. They feel pissed off when the stewards get arsey. Personally, I wouldn't call anyone who sings that chant 'fairly innocent' - it's consciously engaging in public racism. On the contrary I'd argue that giving the minority of genuinely racist fans an area where it's acceptable for them to express themselves in public is much more harmful. And even if your Ukip point holds weight, it's absolutely worth it to stamp out racism from the game we love.

As a white cis middle-class man i can't exactly claim first hand experience of much prejudice. But I'd wager that if I heard tens of thousands of people using my skin colour or sexuality as a way of abusing someone, I wouldn't exactly feel comfortable. It comes down to simple principles of what is and isn't okay to say in a public space, and chants like the Campbell one cannot under any circumstances be justified.

Apologies if I sound snappy, my team has just lost the biggest game in football and I'm not taking it particularly well.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Obviously. And it must work, we do perform best overall in the UK.
I read that... But your uni's have a lot to be desired I believe.
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by St. Brynjar)
I don't think we're ever going to agree. I said 'harder' deliberately. That doesn't mean bans, which we already have. It has to come from a social movement. The responsibility lies with the passive crowd members who join in with these chants. I shouldn't have to say it again, it's mob mentality. I don't have a massive problem with the Yid thing (my Spurs supporting friend keeps me well versed in that) because that's cultural subversion. But that has absolutely nothing to do with the disgraceful Campbell chant.

i think your bigot point is a massive generalisation. I've never met anyone who's made to feel like a bigot at a game. They feel pissed off when the stewards get arsey. Personally, I wouldn't call anyone who sings that chant 'fairly innocent' - it's consciously engaging in public racism. On the contrary I'd argue that giving the minority of genuinely racist fans an area where it's acceptable for them to express themselves in public is much more harmful. And even if your Ukip point holds weight, it's absolutely worth it to stamp out racism from the game we love.

As a white cis middle-class man i can't exactly claim first hand experience of much prejudice. But I'd wager that if I heard tens of thousands of people using my skin colour or sexuality as a way of abusing someone, I wouldn't exactly feel comfortable. It comes down to simple principles of what is and isn't okay to say in a public space, and chants like the Campbell one cannot under any circumstances be justified.

Apologies
if I sound snappy, my team has just lost the biggest game in football and I'm not taking it particularly well.

Sorry for your loss.
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
I read that... But your uni's have a lot to be desired I believe.

we only have 2. And Queens is a Russell group uni.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
we only have 2. And Queens is a Russell group uni.
You have 3 at my last count, and queens is also lowest of the Russell group and not as good as some non-RG ones.
St. Brynjar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sorry for your loss.
Idk if that's flippant or not but I'll take it
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
You have 3 at my last count, and queens is also lowest of the Russell group and not as good as some non-RG ones.

It has good medicine department. It's 2, Ulster and Queens, as that Food Tech place is a college.
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by St. Brynjar)
Idk if that's flippant or not but I'll take it

it's not.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It has good medicine department. It's 2, Ulster and Queens, as that Food Tech place is a college.
Has it???

Nope 3 as NI seems to have its own OU.
According to Pete
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kittiara)
:laugh: Thanks, Pete!

By the way, good to see you in here. I might persuade you yet to join.
Hmm perhaps...you know I will have too much to say

But saw you on my follow email and couldn't resist my usual opinionated approach
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Has it???

Nope 3 as NI seems to have its own OU.
Apparently.

aye, and I know no one who uses it.
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PetrosAC)
Good thanks. Yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did you hear about Gerrards fight with religion? The Sikhs won.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by James Milibanter)
Did you hear about Gerrards fight with religion? The Sikhs won.
Dammit James!

Enjoy League 1.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
65.91%
No I haven't decided yet (36)
20.45%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.64%

Watched Threads