• View Poll Results: Favourite Doctor?
    Christopher Eccleston
    8.20%
    David Tennant
    59.71%
    Matt Smith
    32.09%

(Original post by No!)
    That means absolutely nothing. The fact is, everyone was expecting series 5 to be great. David Tennant made Dr Who what it is but viewing steeply declined after Matt Smith's first episode, but ratings increase during Tennant's series.
    Where is the imaginary announcement?

(Original post by No!)
    Series 6 will be the last - as announced by the BBC themselves. I'm afraid Matt Smith just doesn't 'cut it' for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No!)
    The ratings per episode during series 5 slope off due to Matt Smith being an utter **** and the dire story lines.
    I'm gonna have to resort to name calling for this troll:nopity:

YOUR FACE IS DIRE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No!)
    Thanks for posting that link which supports my argument. The viewing ratings per episode actually increase during series 2, 3 and 4.

The ratings per episode during series 5 slope off due to Matt Smith being an utter **** and the dire story lines.
    Matt Smith is a don. GTFO this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Matt Smith is far smexier than David Tennant and is much more what The Doctor should be <3

(Original post by LastLordofTime)
    Matt Smith is far smexier than David Tennant and is much more what The Doctor should be &lt;3
    (Original post by Fumblenuts91)
    Matt Smith is a don. GTFO this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambo211)
    Series 2 had arguably worse viewing figures.
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Ratings are pretty impressive.

First - Rose (10.81)
    Tennant first - New Earth (8.6)
    Series 4 finale - Journey's End (10.57)
    Smith first - Eleventh Hour (10.8)
    Series 1 av = 7.95
    Series 2 av = 7.79
    Series 3 av = 7.67
    Series 4 av =9.22
    Series 5 Av = 7.88

Tbh, the quick glance I had made it look a lot worse until I actually had a quick go at working it out.

Does anyone else find it weird how low the ratings are for the first episodes of two parters What is the point of only watching the second part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    Series 1 av = 7.95
    Series 2 av = 7.79
    Series 3 av = 7.67
    Series 4 av =9.22
    Series 5 Av = 7.88

Tbh, the quick glance I had made it look a lot worse until I actually had a quick go at working it out.

Does anyone else find it weird how low the ratings are for the first episodes of two parters What is the point of only watching the second part.
    I wondered that when i looked at it.

It doesn't make sense and it seems to happen on just about every 2 parter. Is this just a recurring coincidence or are people actively avoiding the first parts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambo211)
    I wondered that when i looked at it.

It doesn't make sense and it seems to happen on just about every 2 parter. Is this just a recurring coincidence or are people actively avoiding the first parts?
    It must be something to do with it being available on iPlayer. I wonder if the BBC figures calculate in iPlayer viewings. As I very rarely catch it live and watch it in my own :/

ReputationRep:
    How does the rating work? Is it just the viewing on the original showing? Because maybe people avoid it and watch the repeats or on iplayer or something so they don't wait so long :dontknow:

Aren't ratings just an projected estimate based on 1000 or so TV sets?

ReputationRep:
    Aren't ratings just an projected estimate based on 1000 or so TV sets?
    :yep: You can request a box to participate can't you?

They have a range of people, single, families, big familes, couples etc and just extrapolate from there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    How does the rating work? Is it just the viewing on the original showing? Because maybe people avoid it and watch the repeats or on iplayer or something so they don't wait so long :dontknow:
    The "same day as live" (watched live, paused and watched later the same day, recorded and watched the same day) are calculated by a small minority of the population being given this box which records their viewing. The data is then extrapolated to the entire population. So it's all just estimates. iPlayer figures however would be exact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No!)
    That means absolutely nothing. The fact is, everyone was expecting series 5 to be great. David Tennant made Dr Who what it is but viewing steeply declined after Matt Smith's first episode, but ratings increase during Tennant's series.
    O really?

What about all the past series? I mean it only began back in 1963.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    O really?

Despite being a troll, the reference was obviously referring to modern Who. Which Tennant did play probably the biggest part in making it mainstream and acceptable to a modern viewer. Probably because he wasn't very 'alien-esq' basically making him more relateable.
    Which is probably why Smith was such a weird viewing experience for many people because he plays the Doctor so alien and quirky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LastLordofTime)
    Matt Smith is far smexier than David Tennant and is much more what The Doctor should be <3
    Matt Smith is very schmexy and I adore his wardrobe :love:
    But I liked Tennant too.

(Original post by SirMasterKey)
    O really?

It's a time travel show, man. Tennant went back to 1960, propelled the show to stardom before giving way to the other Doctors. :pierre:

(Original post by Mess.)
    Despite being a troll, the reference was obviously referring to modern Who. Which Tennant did play probably the biggest part in making it mainstream and acceptable to a modern viewer. Probably because he wasn't very 'alien-esq' basically making him more relateable.
    Which is probably why Smith was such a weird viewing experience for many people because he plays the Doctor so alien and quirky.
    Meh mainstream, I prefer the 'alien and quirky' Doctor. The companions are there to be 'relateable'.

ReputationRep:
    Meh mainstream, I prefer the 'alien and quirky' Doctor. The companions are there to be 'relateable'.
    I quite like Smith playing an alien Doctor but Tennant was needed to bring in 'fangirls and families', something which I doubt Smith could have done without the audience already being there :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    this thread is now giving me major lols especially the :troll:

(Original post by Mess.)
    but Tennant was needed to bring in 'fangirls and families', something which I doubt Smith could have done without the audience already being there :unsure:
    I'm not so sure about that, I mean neither of us can say for sure, but I think Smith could have had a good chance at similar success [if it had been Smith instead of Tennant].

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.