Doctor Who - Discussion Thread II Watch

This discussion is closed.
Mess.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They can't really have a decent story as the racial personality is one track and boring. There is no intelligence to the race.
Supermassive_muse_fan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by greeneyedgirl)
Well considering they don't exist we'll never find out.

But out of all the monsters they are the least scary...whereas most of the monsters I'd run away screaming I'd at least try and fight them.
Agreed, I just can't take them seriously. Most scary - weeping angels or the Vashta Nerada. The VN were quite possibly my favourite.
SirMasterKey
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan)
Agreed, I just can't take them seriously. Most scary - weeping angels or the Vashta Nerada. The VN were quite possibly my favourite.
They were good except for that whole fear of the Doctor by checking the library rubbish. Almost a great enemy apart from that. One that the Doctor generally just ran from.
mahassociates
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by EEngWillow)
When you consider their goals though - the extermination of all other life - a mere half million is a tiny portion of the universe's non-Dalek population. It's only 1/13580 of our planet's current population! (approximately)

A hundred years isn't that long a rule either for would-be universal conquerors: the universe has been around significantly longer.

If you evaluate Dalek performance against their ultimate aim, they really aren't very successful. Both the Sontarans and the Atraxi were significantly closer to at least wiping out the Earth's population. The Atraxi weren't even after us, and they fly around the universe in giant snowflakes with eyeballs.

I'll concede that the Daleks have done significantly better with other planets and races.

I just don't understand the fascination with them. They haven't particularly had any decent stories for years.
Well, I think part of the focus on the Daleks stems from their role in the Time War- the Doctor killed his entire people just to defeat them. Which I think makes them his ultimate enemy in a thematic sense, if not the strongest or scariest.

That being said, we've seen WAY too many Daleks in the past couple years. And now Moff is bringing back the Weeping Angels, yet again...he needs to write some new villains.
SirMasterKey
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mahassociates)
Well, I think part of the focus on the Daleks stems from their role in the Time War- the Doctor killed his entire people just to defeat them. Which I think makes them his ultimate enemy in a thematic sense, if not the strongest or scariest.

That being said, we've seen WAY too many Daleks in the past couple years. And now Moff is bringing back the Weeping Angels, yet again...he needs to write some new villains.
Well he's said it's for a final showdown. So one would hope that is the last we see of them for at least a very very long time. It's nice to see new monsters rather than the same ones always coming back.
chernid
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Colonel.)
Yeah, when Donna beat them she was a genetic mutation of human and Time Lord, therefore having about ten times the Doctor's intellect. And that was a bad episode, which I think even RTD has admitted.

And yeah, they kill a lot. The Doctor has defeaten them using:
Rose using the entire power of the TARDIS.
The Void between universes.
Can't remember what happened in Manhattan, something tedious like love, probably.
The smartest person in the universe, Doctor Donna
And then he lost during WW2

Yeah, they are SO weak.
I think you'll find that the Dalek-Humans killed the Daleks apart from one, I think it was Caan, who Emergency Temporal Shifted to the Time War and found Davros etc.
Colonel.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Anybody heard the Lara Pulver rumours?

Spoiler:
Show
They might have the 12th Doctor be a woman, with Pulver as the Doctor herself.
JessicaW
Badges: 1
Report 7 years ago
I can't see many people liking that.
Dalek1099
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JessicaW)
I can't see many people liking that.
I agree because making the doctor a female is just stupid because he is a male character,although time lords can change gender but I haven't seen male characters on the TV become female and it didn't really work in the comic relief spoof either.
Ape Gone Insane
Badges: 15
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I don't think calling it stupid just because 'he is a male character' is good reasoning. I think Lara Pulver would do well in another role such as a companion or the Rani.
JessicaW
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
I don't think calling it stupid just because 'he is a male character' is good reasoning. I think Lara Pulver would do well in another role such as a companion or the Rani.
I in a post which also used 'I haven't seen male characters on the TV become female' as an excuse, we can conclude good reasoning went out of the window.

I agree about her doing well in another role such as the Rani.
Colonel.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would like a female Doctor, but unless it's done right, it'll just look like, or actually be, be a huge stunt to try to gain viewers.
sleekchic
Report 7 years ago
I could have sworn that the Lara Pulver thing was for April Fools day?
SirMasterKey
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sleekchic)
There was that the new companion was actually going to be the new Doctor on April Fools Day. Lol.
mahjongmagic
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think you're referring to this http://www.express.co.uk/features/view/311988 though they seem to have put it up a day late.
PoGo HoPz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Benedict Cumberbatch for twelfth Doctor! :top:
Yoghurt
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would buy this:

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6749695/dr-who-rpg
sleekchic
Report 7 years ago
I think I'm going to have to take a break from the Mail Online (yes I know, the shame) because there have been a few pics of the new series and I want to go into the series relatively unspoiled.
Watch Key Phone
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Colonel.)
Anybody heard the Lara Pulver rumours?

Spoiler:
Show
They might have the 12th Doctor be a woman, with Pulver as the Doctor herself.
Hmm. I actually really like the idea of having a female doctor, but I don't feel like Lara Pulver would be the right person if they decided to do it. I also think it's pretty unlikely to actually happen, but that's just me.

(Original post by PoGo HoPz)
Benedict Cumberbatch for twelfth Doctor! :top:
In interviews, he has expressly said that he would never want to do it. I don't think it would suit him anyway... :dontknow:

I think I'm going to have to take a break from the Mail Online (yes I know, the shame) because there have been a few pics of the new series and I want to go into the series relatively unspoiled.
Proper spoilers, really? They're normally pretty tight on that kind of thing aren't they?
Mess.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Amwazicles)
Hmm. I actually really like the idea of having a female doctor, but I don't feel like Lara Pulver would be the right person if they decided to do it. I also think it's pretty unlikely to actually happen, but that's just me.

In interviews, he has expressly said that he would never want to do it. I don't think it would suit him anyway... :dontknow:

Proper spoilers, really? They're normally pretty tight on that kind of thing aren't they?
The DM constantly has spoilers out there for DW. It is really annoying especially as the other papers follow the next day.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (542)
37.74%
No - but I will (112)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (98)
6.82%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (684)
47.63%

Watched Threads