Film Fanatics Society - Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Phalanges
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Abiraleft)
And while we're on the subject, has di Caprio done any movie so far where his acting is a particular highlight? He seems to star in really good movies, but in all the ones I've seen - Gangs of New York, Blood Diamond, The Departed and now Inception (I watched Titanic when I was younger, but I don't remember how good his acting was in it) - his acting seems pretty average-but-goes-with-the-flow, and generally outshone by one or more of his co-stars.
He was phenomenal in Shutter Island.

He has got to the stage of his career where he is given the title role which means he is responsible for holding the whole film together, rather than a lesser role which gives more flexibility for acting credibility. So while it may seem that he was outshone in The Departed by the likes of Wahlberg and Nicholson, it's just that he was playing a role which forced him to be a lot more understated. I like him because he understands that an actor shouldn't be bigger than the film, and rarely grandstands just to show off, instead just turning out solid performances. Which is a very admirable trait, but not one that always obviously noticeable.
ahq
Badges: 13
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Phalanges)

He has got to the stage of his career where he is given the title role which means he is responsible for holding the whole film together, rather than a lesser role which gives more flexibility for acting credibility. So while it may seem that he was outshone in The Departed by the likes of Wahlberg and Nicholson, it's just that he was playing a role which forced him to be a lot more understated. I like him because he understands that an actor shouldn't be bigger than the film, and rarely grandstands just to show off, instead just turning out solid performances. Which is a very admirable trait, but not one that always obviously noticeable.
Hmmm, I'm not sure what you mean by title role - don't you mean lead role? Don't actors generally have even more space to work when in lead roles?

I'll watch Shutter Island, and might give The Departed a re-watch as well... I think I understand only very basically what you're saying.
elisabethbridge
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

He did a fantastic job in Revolutionary Road as well. As did Kate Winslet.
lukejoshjedi
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jace Falco)
The books are absolutely god-awful, author-insertion fantasy-fulfilment. I think the hatred for it is as much a reaction to the almost religious zeal that its fans have as anything else.

I disagree. I think Robert Pattinson is hated because of Twilight, not the other way around. From what I've seen in interviews, he's doing the job purely as a working actor, and thinks the material is muck just as much as anyone else.
It's funny cos Stephanie Meyer practically based bella on herself, from the descripotion of her it even looks like her, the books have kinda lazy writing and are almost just an exaggerated fantasy and wishfulness from her - fair enough, it's escapist non fiction buut still

she fcked vampires up, made them so lame
Jace Falco
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lukejoshjedi)
It's funny cos Stephanie Meyer practically based bella on herself, from the descripotion of her it even looks like her, the books have kinda lazy writing and are almost just an exaggerated fantasy and wishfulness from her - fair enough, it's escapist non fiction buut still

Except she's fat whereas obviously Bella is thin :fyi:
lukejoshjedi
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jace Falco)
Except she's fat whereas obviously Bella is thin :fyi:
true, Bella is her ideal/perfect apperance
Student2806
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As good as people/critics say? I'll be watching it soon.
Simple answer, yes.
Although it's likely to receive relatively little attention at awards (compared to the acting, direction, screenplay etc), the soundtrack/score was absolutely outstanding imo.
kingrudding
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lukejoshjedi)

Every fantasy creature has had so many different reboots and makeovers. Why should the twilight brand of vamplire be any less acceptable than the Anna Rice brand. Fair enough, the reason for shying from sunlight is different, but it some way is a little more believable. Why is a vampire being so violently allergic to light that they spontaniously combust when they are in contact with it any less unlikely than Meyer's version. I don't see how, aside from the glittering, these vampires are too much different from others. They still are cursed to near immortality; they still have a ruling class that deals harshly with any kind of breach of the laws; they are brooding and melocholy due to the love of mortals; Vampirism is seem as glamourous and desirable by mortals who know about them.

Twilight is not my favourite series about vampires, but it doesn't deserve the bashing it receives.
Phalanges
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hmmm, I'm not sure what you mean by title role - don't you mean lead role? Don't actors generally have even more space to work when in lead roles?

I'll watch Shutter Island, and might give The Departed a re-watch as well... I think I understand only very basically what you're saying.
It's difficult to explain, but there are certain roles that have to be downplayed in films in order to give them credibility. For example, if DiCaprio was stealing scenes in The Departed, it wouldn't have suited the role.

There are lead roles which do give more scope, but they're not the kind of films that DiCaprio picks. So he's never seen in roles where he can go crazy as an actor, which leads some people to think he's not got the talent to do so. But what he has is a very different skill set. Shutter Island is a prime example of this; the film works because of DiCaprio. He holds the film together, and if it was played in any other way you'd either lose interest or lose empathy and the film would be so much less. So while anybody on first viewing would say that Ben Kingsley gives a better performance he simply gives a more noticeable performance, whereas DiCaprio just goes about his job professionally and understatedly. Does that make more sense?

I like him. I don't think he's the best of the current crop of actors like he's sometimes lauded (I would say that accolade belongs to Johnny Depp if he can manage to extricate himself from Disney in the next couple of years), but he's pretty close to the top.
Student2806
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
John Barry (of James Bond music fame) has died
ahq
Report 7 years ago
It's difficult to explain, but there are certain roles that have to be downplayed in films in order to give them credibility. For example, if DiCaprio was stealing scenes in The Departed, it wouldn't have suited the role.

There are lead roles which do give more scope, but they're not the kind of films that DiCaprio picks. So he's never seen in roles where he can go crazy as an actor, which leads some people to think he's not got the talent to do so. But what he has is a very different skill set. Shutter Island is a prime example of this; the film works because of DiCaprio. He holds the film together, and if it was played in any other way you'd either lose interest or lose empathy and the film would be so much less. So while anybody on first viewing would say that Ben Kingsley gives a better performance he simply gives a more noticeable performance, whereas DiCaprio just goes about his job professionally and understatedly. Does that make more sense?

I like him. I don't think he's the best of the current crop of actors like he's sometimes lauded (I would say that accolade belongs to Johnny Depp if he can manage to extricate himself from Disney in the next couple of years), but he's pretty close to the top.
Yup, I get it now. Like John Cazale used to do, you mean. I just never realized that the same could be done by a lead actor. :yep:

(Original post by Student2806)
John Barry (of James Bond music fame) has died
:rip: One of the most iconic soundtracks ever.
pinkpenguin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Massively influential theme :sad:

And one of my top 5 Bond films...
Student2806
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
First Christian Bale, then Andrew Garfield, now Henry Cavill.

Hollywood seems to have a thing for Brits playing superheroes.
Madjackismad
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Student2806)
First Christian Bale, then Andrew Garfield, now Henry Cavill.

Hollywood seems to have a thing for Brits playing superheroes.
We're prone to brooding. Essential for gritty superhero reboots.
aja89
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Is it wrong that I've never seen a single Bond film?
MizzCupcakes
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Now I've seen the Godfather! It was very long I must say, though very good
cadaeibfeceh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by aja89)
Nah, not really. I've only paid attention to the Craigs and, unfortunately, Die Another Day

(Original post by MizzCupcakes)
Now I've seen the Godfather! It was very long I must say, though very good
A girl liking The Godfather is always a good thing
kingrudding
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by aja89)
It is unusual, given the number of films in the series, but I suppose if you don't fancy a particular genre or series, there isn't much point in dwelling on it. I myself was raised by a Bond freak, so I have watched every film at least 3 or 4 times, so to me Bond is just a part of life.
MizzCupcakes
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by cadaeibfeceh)
A girl liking The Godfather is always a good thing
I'm gonna watch the second one too since it is right next to it on the imdb list so it ought to meet its standards, would you recommend the third?
cadaeibfeceh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MizzCupcakes)
I'm gonna watch the second one too since it is right next to it on the imdb list so it ought to meet its standards, would you recommend the third?
I love the second, more even than the first, maybe also cos I'm a bit of a De Niro nut ... but the third...well... it's quite a good film if you disregard the other two but as the conclusion to the trilogy I was disappointed.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (140)
18.42%
No (460)
60.53%
Not really bothered about them (160)
21.05%

Watched Threads