Turn on thread page Beta

The Arsenal Society VIII watch

Announcements

I don't think any of the recent suggestions work very well. Cahill, Subotic, Samba and Hangelaand are all regular starters for their teams, so I don't see why they'd be very entusiastic about coming and playing fourth fiddle at Arsenal. Someone like Spahic (also a starter, but with a much lower profile) might be a more realistic guess.

As for LB, I'm not sure. We might need backup, but I'm still tempted to see how far Gibbs can go.

ReputationRep:
    We can try to get all the signings we want but nothing is going to change. At the centre of all the problems is the injury crisis that we face at the crunch time of every season. It's absolutely pathetic. We cannot expect to compete when so many key players are out injured. Defensive frailties and all the problems on the pitch are a consequence of that. That is the biggest problem. We could have the best XI around but if half of them are missing through injury when we need them, what's the point?

The second biggest problem is too many players are not giving everything for the team. There's a sharp contrast between Wilshere and players like Arshavin. We need players that care and for whom wearing the shirt means something. Too many are in their comfort zones earning £xy,000 a week; contracts are being handed to them at an early age and they are under little pressure to perform because they know -- whether the manager picks them through first choice or not -- injuries will mean they'll get a go. I say this is the second biggest problem and not the first because as much as we'd like to believe otherwise, person A at 90% can beat someone else giving 100% if A is sufficiently talented. It's obvious the technical ability in the squad is fantastic but the drive and motivation is certainly not.

Both problems stem from the manager. In terms of doing well, the first problem is the most important to fix. But in terms of my support and viewpoint, the second is the only thing that matters. I will always get behind a team and manager that is seen to give a ****. If we had 11 gooners on the pitch, that is the most important thing -- I wouldn't care if we got relegated; you can be proud of the team and know that the money you're paying is going to the pockets of players who desperately want the club to do well. If they're not good enough, so be it.

Wenger has had a lot of time to address these issues. In fairness, perhaps he has tried to force some changes -- the signing of Vermaelen last year (and then Sol) did seem to inject some energy and determination into the squad. But ultimately, along with injuries and the same squad faces like Denilson and Diaby ambling about, apathy is contagious and why would a player work his *******s off when he sees players around him on higher salaries jogging around? It's different if you've been at the club since you were 9 like Jack but otherwise foreigners won't have the same connection with the club or fans. Henry, Bergkamp, Vieira all came into a squad with a lot more balls than the one we have now. Having the characters from the English back 4 being the eldest and controlling the dressing room was vital for them to respect the traditions of the club.

Right now, as Wenger himself said, there is no-one that can lift the squad. I cannot support a manager that is allows this to happen. I know Wenger is completely different from most players -- Wenger genuinely does care about the club but sadly he is unable to impose that requirement onto the players. They're walking all over him. I think it'd be best if Wenger did step aside in the summer. He won't, but he should.

ReputationRep:
    Club Arsenal should still take the young players who have excellent skills to raise the rating of the club.
    for the most important player is located on the goal keeper who has a pretty heavy duty, for this one Arsenal also have to make changes.
    but whatever the outcome I still support Arsenal.
    I love Arsenal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    We can try to get all the signings we want but nothing is going to change. At the centre of all the problems is the injury crisis that we face at the crunch time of every season. It's absolutely pathetic. We cannot expect to compete when so many key players are out injured. Defensive frailties and all the problems on the pitch are a consequence of that. That is the biggest problem. We could have the best XI around but if half of them are missing through injury when we need them, what's the point?

The second biggest problem is too many players are not giving everything for the team. There's a sharp contrast between Wilshere and players like Arshavin. We need players that care and for whom wearing the shirt means something. Too many are in their comfort zones earning £xy,000 a week; contracts are being handed to them at an early age and they are under little pressure to perform because they know -- whether the manager picks them through first choice or not -- injuries will mean they'll get a go. I say this is the second biggest problem and not the first because as much as we'd like to believe otherwise, person A at 90% can beat someone else giving 100% if A is sufficiently talented. It's obvious the technical ability in the squad is fantastic but the drive and motivation is certainly not.

Both problems stem from the manager. In terms of doing well, the first problem is the most important to fix. But in terms of my support and viewpoint, the second is the only thing that matters. I will always get behind a team and manager that is seen to give a ****. If we had 11 gooners on the pitch, that is the most important thing -- I wouldn't care if we got relegated; you can be proud of the team and know that the money you're paying is going to the pockets of players who desperately want the club to do well. If they're not good enough, so be it.

Wenger has had a lot of time to address these issues. In fairness, perhaps he has tried to force some changes -- the signing of Vermaelen last year (and then Sol) did seem to inject some energy and determination into the squad. But ultimately, along with injuries and the same squad faces like Denilson and Diaby ambling about, apathy is contagious and why would a player work his *******s off when he sees players around him on higher salaries jogging around? It's different if you've been at the club since you were 9 like Jack but otherwise foreigners won't have the same connection with the club or fans. Henry, Bergkamp, Vieira all came into a squad with a lot more balls than the one we have now. Having the characters from the English back 4 being the eldest and controlling the dressing room was vital for them to respect the traditions of the club.

Right now, as Wenger himself said, there is no-one that can lift the squad. I cannot support a manager that is allows this to happen. I know Wenger is completely different from most players -- Wenger genuinely does care about the club but sadly he is unable to impose that requirement onto the players. They're walking all over him. I think it'd be best if Wenger did step aside in the summer. He won't, but he should.
    :yy:

I have almost identical views, and it doesn't really have anything to do with Wenger's ability as a footballing manager. The players have been walking over him for the past 5years, and he's done nothing about it. Just look at Diaby's past 5 years at the club, it's quite shocking Wenger still plays him.

ReputationRep:
    Regarding Clichy, Arseblog is claiming he almost left last summer, so I think he's pretty much definately going.

ReputationRep:
    Great post, Overs. :yy:

I'm still not sure on Wenger. My heart says he's done so much for the club and deserves one last chance to sort things out, my head says nothing major is going to change and the underlying problems will still be there come the start of next season.

In terms of what's best for the club, I think Wenger needs to indicate whether or not he plans to sort out the squad over the summer, if he truly intends to do so then he deserves the backing of the club, if not, we seriously need to look at bringing in a replacement - there are very few names I'd say I'd be looking at as potential replacements and some of those will be sure to be moving in the summer, if we want them we'll have to make that clear early on.

Realistically though, we'll leave it up to him to decide whether or not he wishes to stay on, he'll probably decide to stay and he won't make the changes that need to be made. It's just becoming a bit of an endless cycle, the exact same thing happens each season but nobody is held responsible and so nothing is sorted.

ReputationRep:
    I feel Clichy would do much better in a better club ( a club without shambolic defending especially defensive coaching)

ReputationRep:
    You haven't managed to replace Thierry Henry yet, I hear Tamas Priskin is decent...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riley26)
    You haven't managed to replace Thierry Henry yet, I hear Tamas Priskin is decent...
    We've got Bendtner, who is going to be the greatest! Oh wait...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK.)
    Great post, Overs. :yy:

I'm still not sure on Wenger. My heart says he's done so much for the club and deserves one last chance to sort things out, my head says nothing major is going to change and the underlying problems will still be there come the start of next season.

In terms of what's best for the club, I think Wenger needs to indicate whether or not he plans to sort out the squad over the summer, if he truly intends to do so then he deserves the backing of the club, if not, we seriously need to look at bringing in a replacement - there are very few names I'd say I'd be looking at as potential replacements and some of those will be sure to be moving in the summer, if we want them we'll have to make that clear early on.

Realistically though, we'll leave it up to him to decide whether or not he wishes to stay on, he'll probably decide to stay and he won't make the changes that need to be made. It's just becoming a bit of an endless cycle, the exact same thing happens each season but nobody is held responsible and so nothing is sorted.
    Do you think there will be a rapid u-turn in your beliefs and feelings if Arsenal do manage to win the league? It's not like you're that far adrift from Man United. Far from it...

ReputationRep:
    Visible desire to win: Szczesny, Vermaelen, Wilshere, Nasri, Fabregas, RVP

Puts in the needed performance: Djourou, Sagna, Song, Walcott.

Needs to improve: Arshavin, Clichy, bendtner

Everyone else needs a good slap around the face.

(not including Gibbs and Ramsay who I can't judge just yet.)

Unfortunately for us, the guys in the first two categories are the ones that are injured the most generally speaking.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.7amkickoff.com/2011/every...87amkickoff%29

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    Do you think there will be a rapid u-turn in your beliefs and feelings if Arsenal do manage to win the league? It's not like you're that far adrift from Man United. Far from it...
    Not particularly. There are still underlying problems with the side - the lack of discipline, the constant injuries and the inadequate back up, these are what have caused us to crumble so many times recently when it gets to the vital stage, not some mental barrier. Winning once won't sort the problems.

Having said that, my feelings wrt Wenger's position are somewhat based on us not winning the league, because atm, that's looking like the case. If we won the league, I'd probably be pro-Wenger, for at least another season. As I said in the other post, given what he's done for the club and given the position he's got us to whereby we're on the verge of being an incredible side, but are just missing some key components, I'd say he fully deserves the chance to finish his work. I just struggle to believe he will finish it in the way it needs to be, though. If we won the league this year, he failed to sort out the squad over the summer and we crumbled next year, I'd definitely be looking at potential replacements again next summer.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't point out the amount of times Clichy has played someone onside or given the ball away leading to a goal.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting.

I knew Clichy was bad at crossing, but not THAT bad. The stats on Wilshere are interesting too, especially the number of long balls he's played. I think the entire squad should be told to go long sometimes as we used to with Adebayor and Eduardo and it worked very well (I remember a game at Goodison where we came from behind by just punting the ball up to Eduardo). It's another dimension and can be used to catch teams out when they're pressing us.

ReputationRep:
    I guess I fall in that category

Clichy does seem like he's improved a lot but then again, the opposition team always feel like they'll be more successful if they target him rather than Sagna, so maybe there is something the stats aren't telling us.

Arshavin :rolleyes: So great yet I doubt anyone here though would not like to see him put in a little more effort, especially when other big name players are injured.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting article. Actually surprised about Clichy and Arshavin .
    Wilshere :adore:

ReputationRep:
    I'll continue to stress that Arshavin is one of our most important attacking players. Imo, he is one of the few worldclass players we have. In fact Cesc and AA are our only world class players. Nasri also has the potential to be.

ReputationRep:
    He's infuriating as hell, but he can pull something out of nothing. And i'd put Robin down as world class, or borderline when he's fit. 19 goals in 19 games in the league.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hantheman)
    He's infuriating as hell, but he can pull something out of nothing. And i'd put Robin down as world class, or borderline when he's fit. 19 goals in 19 games in the league.
    RvP isn't worldclass. Great player though.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.