Turn on thread page Beta

The Commons Bar Mk VIII - MHoC Chat Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    De facto happens with the Tories and one of the northern Irish parties.
    It was also suggested a few years back as a way of 'detoxifying' the Tories in Scotland, although their modest performance since then (by Scottish standards anyway) seems to have quelled that idea for now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    De facto happens with the Tories and one of the northern Irish parties.
    The DUP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calgie)
    Actually I think it would be disgraceful if the campaign wasn't fought on the basis of the child abuse scandal. Except lefties like you want to brush it under the carpet and pretend it didn't happen. Ukip owe it to the people of Rotherham to let them know what the labour council and police commissioner let happen and must never be allowed to happen again. Only ukip will stop the complacency of local politics.
    you don't see the problem with playing politics with abuse victims? you think that little of them? really? you think these people haven't suffered enough without you using them like a ****ing football that you can kick in the Labour/Tory goalnet or whatever.

the police as an entire institution failed in Rotherham, they then disgracefully blamed it on race, which was sickening used by racists like UKIP to stoke further prejudice.

UKIP won't stop things like this, quite the opposite if you have such a callous disregard for the victims as to use them like this, doubt you have any policies that would deal with things like this either, that would involve doing something other than cheap bull****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittiara)
    I agree with the person who tweeted this:

https://twitter.com/itsmotherswork/s...11253786177536

A party using the victims of sexual abuse in such a tasteless manner, for their own political gain, is low.
    This reminds me of The Thick of It. Worrying how a political satire show hits startlingly close to the truth.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    The Rotherham scandal was a disgrace, but UKIP only appear to enjoy gloating and mocking Labour.

I haven't yet heard the party engage in a sensible, measured debate on the issue. UKIP may shout very loudly, but have absolutely no substance.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, while i don't like the idea of politiking the issue nationally i do think a good number of Labour people and police in Rotherham should receive the P45. Hell, the local MP confessed that he'd heard rumors. Ukip are right in that constituency to hold Labour to account.

Frankly i hope there's a national investigation and fully expect some shocking numbers to come from Bradford.

ReputationRep:
    I think UKIP are right go after Labour, the political system failed these girls. The Council, Police and others did nothing, somebody needs to be held to account for these outrageous failings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    I think UKIP are right go after Labour, the political system failed these girls. The Council, Police and others did nothing, somebody needs to be held to account for these outrageous failings.
    That is where you are wrong. To just blame one person and be done with it is irresponsible. It is society as a whole which is responsible and we should not blame one person as a scapegoat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    That is where you are wrong. To just blame one person and be done with it is irresponsible. It is society as a whole which is responsible and we should not blame one person as a scapegoat.
    "The buck stops here" was popularised by Harry S. Truman, the same applies in this situation. Several people are guilty of doing nothing about the abuse of these young girls for various reasons whether it be political or social. Claims the Labour MP knew about the abuse but failed to do anything make it vital Labour is shown up for the gross negligence one of their representatives oversaw. MP's are meant to represent all people in their constituency and not brush things they do not like under the carpet. The MP for not speaking up, the council members for not speaking up, the police for not fully investigating and the CPS for not prosecuting; there are plenty of people who hold responsibility over these cataclysmic failings to protect young children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    By somebody I mean councillors (the Labour Party) and South Yorkshire police.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    "The buck stops here" was popularised by Harry S. Truman, the same applies in this situation. Several people are guilty of doing nothing about the abuse of these young girls for various reasons whether it be political or social. Claims the Labour MP knew about the abuse but failed to do anything make it vital Labour is shown up for the gross negligence one of their representatives oversaw. MP's are meant to represent all people in their constituency and not brush things they do not like under the carpet. The MP for not speaking up, the council members for not speaking up, the police for not fully investigating and the CPS for not prosecuting; there are plenty of people who hold responsibility over these cataclysmic failings to protect young children.
    But my point is that what you are doing is scapegoating him and all the rest to make the public happy. It isn't just the fault of them, they respond to the public and every experience in their lives, if you want to play the blame game you can pin blame on virtually anyone. But on the whole it is society's fault it happened or the abusers not certain other individuals

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    But my point is that what you are doing is scapegoating him and all the rest to make the public happy. It isn't just the fault of them, they respond to the public and every experience in their lives, if you want to play the blame game you can pin blame on virtually anyone. But on the whole it is society's fault it happened or the abusers not certain other individuals.
    The blame game is not the result of sexual abuse happening, the blame game is a result of what happened being brought to the attention of people who had the power to stop it but failing to do so. If you were walking down a street along side a police officer when suddenly you both encountered a youth mugging an elderly lady, you would expect the police officer to step in and prevent the crime. If the police officer did nothing, allowing the crime to continue, serious issues would be raised against the police officer with an official complaint filed. In this case instead of blaming the individual police officer the blame rests on the Labour Councillors, the Labour MP and South Yorkshire police. The Labour Party and South Yorkshire police indirectly condoned sexually assaulting children.

ReputationRep:
    The blame game is not the result of sexual abuse happening, the blame game is a result of what happened being brought to the attention of people who had the power to stop it but failing to do so. If you were walking down a street along side a police officer when suddenly you both encountered a youth mugging an elderly lady, you would expect the police officer to step in and prevent the crime. If the police officer did nothing, allowing the crime to continue, serious issues would be raised against the police officer with an official complaint filed. In this case instead of blaming the individual police officer the blame rests on the Labour Councillors, the Labour MP and South Yorkshire police. The Labour Party and South Yorkshire police indirectly condoned sexually assaulting children.
    But we elected them which meand we also indirectly condoned the action too. Also you have not proven that they knew it happened. Everyone had the opportunity to stop it. If people didn't then its definitely a societal problem

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Blue Meltwater)
    Yeah, he definitely has a strong enough position in the party to do that. I think if the SLP could allow itself to become semi-autonomous from the UK Party and actually develop some decent left-leaning policies to challenge the SNP, I'd gain a lot more respect for it. I think it's perhaps hard for commentators outside of Scotland to appreciate just how tarnished the party has become here.
    You may have a point there. Like I said, though I know little of Scottish politics I would be confident in Brown's competency.

(Original post by Green_Pink)
    What do you think of the possibility that one day Labour may follow the lead of the Green Party in given its Scottish operation total independence and autonomy from the party in England and Wales?
    I hope that doesn't happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    But we elected them which meand we also indirectly condoned the action too. Also you have not proven that they knew it happened. Everyone had the opportunity to stop it. If people didn't then its definitely a societal problem.
    No it does not. The electorate elected them without knowing of the abuse. If the electorate knew of the abuse and knew the Labour Party were failing to do anything about it they would have elected someone else. Using your logic any publicly elected representative who commits an illegal or questionable activity has the indirect backing of the public. This is not so, public representatives are elected in good faith with the public believing they are good people wanting to do the best for their constituencies.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Aren't UKIP the party that constantly complains of being tarnished by the same brush due to the gross incompetencies of their individual members?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Aren't UKIP the party that constantly complains of being tarnished by the same brush due to the gross incompetencies of their individual members?
    UKIP deals with its questionable members by booting them from the party. All Labour does is make excuses, create cover ups and try to generate some good publicity hoping it will all go away.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    UKIP deals with its questionable members by booting them from the party. All Labour does is make excuses, create cover ups and try to generate some good publicity hoping it will all go away.
    Negligence should be punished pending investigation, but this:

The Labour Party and South Yorkshire police indirectly condoned sexually assaulting children.
    ...is blatant slander. 'Indirectly' - the sentence itself admits its full of bs.

ReputationRep:
    No it does not. The electorate elected them without knowing of the abuse. If the electorate knew of the abuse and knew the Labour Party were failing to do anything about it they would have elected someone else. Using your logic any publicly elected representative who commits an illegal or questionable activity has the indirect backing of the public. This is not so, public representatives are elected in good faith with the public believing they are good people wanting to do the best for their constituencies.
    Good faith? No they are elected on merrits and an understanding that their policys will reflect public attitude not their conduct so no any crimes they commit are not publicly backed and that is not what I said. Also again you assume the politicians knew too which there is no evidence for. If one person had stood up to the people eho did this then there would've been an investigation. But no one did no one cared until they were told to.

Also it was just one rogue mp. Not at all representative of tge party even if he did know

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Negligence should be punished pending investigation, but this:

...is blatant slander. 'Indirectly' - the sentence itself admits its full of bs.
    The indirectly comes from the nature of their response. If an individual knows about a crime taking place but fails to speak up, it is reasonable to deduct the individual support the actions of the criminals, or is too concerned with their own standing than they are helping vulnerable people.

(Original post by Aph)
    Good faith? No they are elected on merrits and an understanding that their policys will reflect public attitude not their conduct so no any crimes they commit are not publicly backed and that is not what I said. Also again you assume the politicians knew too which there is no evidence for. If one person had stood up to the people eho did this then there would've been an investigation. But no one did no one cared until they were told to.

Also it was just one rogue mp. Not at all representative of tge party even if he did know
    But we elected them which meand we also indirectly condoned the action too.
    In other words if we elect a person who, unknowing to us, indirectly condones criminal behavior we too condone the behavior. This is not the case, the public represent the MP's on good faith they will do what they promise not only in their Oath but also in policy. The MP's did not keep to his Oath which reads "I will do right to all manner of people after the laws and usages of this realm, without fear or favour, affection or illwill."

The emboldened I agree with but the people who knew and the people who failed to speak up were not the general public, they were elected Councillors, an elected MP and the police.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.