Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    Well, I'd be interested to know why Arsenal "decided not to take that option". For example, if it was because they weren't prepared to pay him the wages Chelsea would pay him and make him captain... I'd say well done, and shame on him. Then of course there may not have been any negotiations at all.
    Very simply because Arsene doesn't think he can accommodate him despite the fact that;

Arteta = terrible and old
    Flamini = old
    Rosicky = old
    Cazorla = getting old
    Diaby = just lol

He signed a broken Swede in January but chooses not to sign one of the best midfielders of his time as manager. Incredibly short sighted from AW and the club.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Yeah but Spurs fans are generally decent human beings driven mad by a terrible football club.

Chelsea fans are basically just the scum of society generally
    Like I said, Combat 18 and the dole office!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peggles_*)
    Very simply because Arsene doesn't think he can accommodate him despite the fact that;

Flamini = old
    Rosicky = old
    Cazorla = getting old
    Diaby = just lol

He signed a broken Swede in January but chooses not to sign one of the best midfielders of his time as manager. Incredibly short sighted from AW and the club.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    OR he couldn't afford him because he plans to spend 30 mil on a striker, 25 mil on a LW, 30 mil on a DM, 10 mil on a RB, 8 mil on a GK, and 5 mil on a CB.

Yep, sounds like Wenger

ReputationRep:

Flamini = old
    Rosicky = old
    Cazorla = getting old
    Diaby = just lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, but what I mean is, you only know that Arsene didn't sign him, not that he didn't want to or didn't try. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think "first refusal" means you can sign the player no matter what. If the player doesn't like your personal terms (wages etc.), tough luck you won't sign him even if you exercise first refusal. Right? I wouldn't be surprised at all if that's actually what happened and now Cesc can conveniently blame Wenger for "choosing not to sign him" back... I don't know, is that really unlikely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    Yes, but what I mean is, you only know that Arsene didn't sign him, not that he didn't want to or didn't try. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think "first refusal" means you can sign the player no matter what. If the player doesn't like your personal terms (wages etc.), tough luck you won't sign him even if you exercise first refusal. Right? I wouldn't be surprised at all if that's actually what happened and now Cesc can conveniently blame Wenger for "choosing not to sign him" back... I don't know, is that really unlikely?
    yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)
    yes.
    If you don't mind, why?

ReputationRep:
    OR he couldn't afford him because he plans to spend 30 mil on a striker, 25 mil on a LW, 30 mil on a DM, 10 mil on a RB, 8 mil on a GK, and 5 mil on a CB.

Yep, sounds like Wenger
    You do know we aren't poor right?! This 'we are the impoverished youth and at such a disadvantage in life' attitude from some gooners really needs to stop, it's sickening. We could have afforded Cesc on top of all of those transfers quite easily. As Gazidis said, as of this season, we will be a £300m turnover club, time to start acting like it. This deal has already out the fanbase on edge and this summer could go one of two ways; get the players we need and no one will care about Cesc. Don't get who we need and everyone will be asking the question why didn't we get him back and what has Arsene been doing all summer.

Now which seems most likely!?!

If Arsene was to ever spend that kind of cash I can only assume the world is ending and the rapture is coming because I personally cannot see that EVER happening!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    I'm going off of the bias that Cesc wanted to come back. If that's the case, fingers should be pointed at AW because he had his chance to get him back and said no.

Either way he's gone now and we are stuck with Arsene for 3 more years :sad:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You do know we aren't poor right?! This 'we are the impoverished youth and at such a disadvantage in life' attitude from some gooners really needs to stop, it's sickening. We could have afforded Cesc on top of all of those transfers quite easily. As Gazidis said, as of this season, we will be a £309m turnover club, time to start acting like it.

If Arsene was to ever spend that kind of cash I can only assume the world is ending and the rapture is coming because I personally cannot see that EVER happening!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't be silly. We're not "poor" but there's no way the board is gonna sanction spending 138 million in one summer, no matter who the manager is.

ReputationRep:

Yep, sounds like Wenger
    10mil striker, 8mil LW, 10mil DM, 3mil RB, 3mil GK, 2mil CB

Even that is extremely optimistic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't be silly. We're not "poor" but there's no way the board is gonna sanction spending 138 million in one summer, no matter who the manager is.
    Here's an idea, maybe it's not the board, maybe it's Arsene. Maybe he's too set in his ways of finding the roughest of diamonds to polish up and subsequently sell, he isn't prepared to get the finished article.

We need world class players, not above average players like Podolski or Giroud or very good players like Cazorla. All the good work of the 2012/13 window was undone by selling RVP to United, one step forward, 2 steps back.

Ozil saved him last season, that summer was almost the straw that broke the camels back. The groundswirl against AW was so strong he was forced into action and overspending on Ozil. He may not get so lucky this summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Webster2002)
    10mil striker, 8mil LW, 10mil DM, 3mil RB, 3mil GK, 2mil CB

Even that is optimistic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your best tactic would be to just expect the worst, so when we get slightly better than that, you won't be too disheartened!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Here's an idea, maybe it's not the board, maybe it's Arsene. Maybe he's too set in his ways of finding the roughest of diamonds to polish up and subsequently sell, he isn't prepared to get the finished article.

We need world class players, not above average players like Podolski or Giroud or very good players like Cazorla. All the good work of the 2012/13 window was undone by selling RVP to United, one step forward, 2 steps back.

Ozil saved him last season, that summer was almost the straw that broke the camels back. The groundswirl against AW was so strong he was forced into action and overspending on Ozil. He may not get so lucky this summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Spending that much would be foolish and that's before you even consider wages. Just cos we have some cash in the bank and some good commercial deals coming in, don't start thinking we're city or Chelsea.

ReputationRep:

Flamini = old
    Rosicky = old
    Cazorla = getting old
    Diaby = just lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't forget Wilshere = made of glass

ReputationRep:
    Spending that much would be foolish and that's before you even consider wages. Just cos we have some cash in the bank and some good commercial deals coming in, don't start thinking we're city or Chelsea.
    We can sell players you know. First thing I would do is ship Mikel off to some mid table team in Spain where he belongs, that fact that he is our DM is embarrassing, same with Rosicky, he's 33 and a bit part player. Donate Diaby to medical research and cash in on Cazorla if the price was right.

Plus the 160k we've recouped in wages by getting the likes of Bendy, Fab, Park Bench and Sagna off the wage bill.

Either way we could have afforded to get him back but we are both stupid as **** if we think AW will spend anywhere near £100m, calling it now, £60m tops. Long summer ahead!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    Don't forget Wilshere = made of glass
    I'm gonna allow Jack because the nature of his initial injury (stress fracture) has played a significant part in his subsequent injuries!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    if rosicky doesnt retire at this club i refuse to watch another arsenal game again

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna allow Jack because the nature of his initial injury (stress fracture) has played a significant part in his subsequent injuries!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Won't it carry on to do so

ReputationRep:
    Jack has had a recurring ankle injury since 2011 rather than being injury prone as such in fairness. Of course that might be a long term thing as well, but it would be more worrying if he was having a different kinds of injuries

ReputationRep:
    It will.

Luckily for us, Ramsey has stepped up to the mantle and taken his place.

If anything, Rambo is lucky and had a better injury. Because it was a clean break of the tibia and fibia it will just heal accordingly. Jack's was a stress fracture that can really **** you up! If the bone doesn't graft back properly after being sanded down, you may need screws to keep it in place and you will constantly have pain in the area.

Additionally, your foot is stuck in a boot for 2 months with little to no mobility and you over compensate with other muscles and joints making them more susceptible to further injury like what Jack has now experienced.

It's sort of the Diaby thing, just on a lesser scale. That tackle from Smith really ****ed him up because it ruined his biomechanics at the age of 19 and at that age he was still growing. It was so bad, he had to learn how to walk in a completely different way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 9, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.