The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7560
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
You don't have to worry about those DS spoilers. They haven't spoiled anything because they are mostly false/inaccurate. So Doctor Who is still unspoiled for you, the surprises are still out there. :yep:

Really? :holmes:

Don't know whether to look for them or not :ahee:
You don't have to worry about those DS spoilers. They haven't spoiled anything because they are mostly false/inaccurate. So Doctor Who is still unspoiled for you, the surprises are still out there. :yep:

Good. I like being unspoiled but if I see a spoiler, I feel compelled to click on it :p:
Original post by Phobia27
Found a interesting website which has all the episodes rated from best to worst voted for by thousands of fans, it's also a clear indication to me that SM's writing is miles better than RTD's! - http://www.themindrobber.co.uk/new-series-popularity.html

If you look at the top 15 of the list, you can see that 6 of 8 episodes written by SM are there (with Girl in the Fireplace placed at #16, only The Beast Below letting the side down). Then compare it to RTD, who only has 4 out of 22 in the top 15...oh dear.

In addition, 3 of those 4 in the top 15 are finales, which are unfair to compare with other episodes as finales tend to have emotionally charged content that wouldn't be allowed in other episodes (e.g. you wouldn't have a death of the Doctor in episode 4, or a big twist that reveals the series arc in episode 3, etc). So really, while those three finales are good episodes, I think it's unfair to directly compare to the other high quality episodes around it such as Blink.

It gets worse for RTD as well, scrolling down the list there is a huge amount of his episodes stuck in mediocrity, and an even bigger pile of his episodes stuck right at the bottom as the worst episodes since the series rebooted. So really, the only decent episode RTD has ever made (apart from finales) is Turn Left, which I agree with, and possibly Midnight. And all of SM episodes are in the top 16, bar The Beast Below, which I still enjoyed somewhat anyway!

I really don't get the RTD fanboys (especially on Youtube in the comments sections below videos) who still to this day think he is god while they think SM will be the downfall of Doctor Who, the proof of who really is the better writer as judged by thousands of voters is in the link above!

(I should mention that the voting was casted after each episode, so there was always level ground for each episode).

I liked all of them :sad: There were a few weak ones - Fear Her, The Lazarus Experiment and Love & Monsters to name just a few were a bit crap - but I like RTD's stuff as much as SM's. They just have very different styles and have taken Doctor Who to very different places.
Plot details regarding episodes The Rebelt Flesh and The Almost People: http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/the-rebel-flesh-story-details-17935.htm
Original post by haleem
Really? :holmes:

Don't know whether to look for them or not :ahee:

Yup. Don't think you'll find them. I had to PM the guy who was at the screening directly, and he returned with every detail of the two episodes. :holmes:

Original post by Bella Occhi
Good. I like being unspoiled but if I see a spoiler, I feel compelled to click on it :p:

I know how you feel. It's sort of like that urge you get when reading a book, to glance at the last page to see who survived. :ninja:
Original post by rmhumphries

Spoiler

Exactly what I thought!
Reply 7566
Yup. Don't think you'll find them. I had to PM the guy who was at the screening directly, and he returned with every detail of the two episodes. :holmes:

I know how you feel. It's sort of like that urge you get when reading a book, to glance at the last page to see who survived. :ninja:

You know?! :eek: :nutcase:

Would you tell me? :puppyeyes:

Although I will resist asking for now :colone:

But that might change after the 23rd :beard:
Original post by haleem
You know?! :eek: :nutcase:

Would you tell me? :puppyeyes:

Although I will resist asking for now :colone:

But that might change after the 23rd :beard:

PM me if you really want to know. Not going to spoil it in the thread even within spoiler tags. Try your best to resist. :whip:

Got to give it to Moffat though. I don't think any series' opening episodes have been this exciting (except perhaps Smith's first one), but people may come round to thinking that these were the best opening episodes in New Who after they've watched them.

On another note, how do you even qualify to go to a screening? :holmes:
PM me if you really want to know. Not going to spoil it in the thread even within spoiler tags. Try your best to resist. :whip:

Got to give it to Moffat though. I don't think any series' opening episodes have been this exciting (except perhaps Smith's first one), but people may come round to thinking that these were the best opening episodes in New Who after they've watched them.

They gave out 30 tickets to competition winners, I believe, and the others would have been a mix of press and industry people, I imagine.

The American ones were just first-come-first-serve though I think.
Reply 7569

I'm trying my best :puppyeyes:

Thanks, that's not helping :colonhash:

I know you can get free tickets to go to film preview screenings weeks before they have come out, me and my friends have done this before. You can find them on the internets, and print the tickets out... think you get them from ukhotdeals or something like that... I'm guessing its something similar with DW screenings too :dontknow:
(edited 13 years ago)
There's a link on Doctor Who TV that says big spoilers to the opening two-parter, I've been eyeing it up for 5 minutes, so tempted to press but don't want to at the same time :frown:
Original post by Phobia27
There's a link on Doctor Who TV that says big spoilers to the opening two-parter, I've been eyeing it up for 5 minutes, so tempted to press but don't want to at the same time :frown:

There's one significant spoiler in there - no major spoilers, the others are things we've speculated/already know. And the spoilers are hidden within the link itself. :smile:
Original post by Aula

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by Aula
We haven't, there's just been a lot of speculation about it. Even more so with an upcoming episode being titled 'the doctor's wife'

Spoiler

There was an application briefly open, I applied but didn't get any :sad:
BBC have released two clips. :woo:

The Impossible Astronaut: Preview Clip One - http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/videos/p00g9plj
The Impossible Astronaut: Preview Clip Two - http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/videos/p00g9q57
The bus in the first clip, in the first shot, looks like it's floating :| Bad composite?
Absolutely cannot wait for the opening episodes :biggrin:
BBC have released two clips. :woo:

The Impossible Astronaut: Preview Clip One - http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/videos/p00g9plj
The Impossible Astronaut: Preview Clip Two - http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/videos/p00g9q57

River in the first clip - shooting off his hat, blowing off the gun, "hello sweetie" - I WANT TO STRANGLE HER SHE IS SO ANNOYING :mad2:

Also everyone, look at this teaser :zomg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGivQ6eVfsQ
Original post by Bella Occhi
River in the first clip - shooting off his hat, blowing off the gun, "hello sweetie" - I WANT TO STRANGLE HER SHE IS SO ANNOYING :mad2:

Also everyone, look at this teaser :zomg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGivQ6eVfsQ

That's pretty old. :tongue: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=30490567

And I agree, very creepy to think that there is one within the Tardis. Also supports that Lodger theory of Amy seeing one and forgetting. :teeth:
(edited 13 years ago)
No one wants to talk about the bad compositing of a bus on to the Utah scenery in the first clip? :frown:
Original post by LastLordofTime
No one wants to talk about the bad compositing of a bus on to the Utah scenery in the first clip? :frown:

I can see why you say it but you can clearly see the tyres. :tongue:

The second clip looks very interesting. 10 days can't come quick enough!

Latest