Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm currently in year eleven (early, I know ) and I just wondered if anyone could give me a quick run down on what a biomed degree is like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vionar)
    Hello, I'm currently in year eleven (early, I know ) and I just wondered if anyone could give me a quick run down on what a biomed degree is like?
    It's bassicly biology with a modern medicine aspect. You learn different modules from genetics to anatomy. Different unis have different modules. It's a course that is good if you like human biology and interested in medicine. Some people go into graduate entry med and most into lab jobs. There are loads of other career choices such as journalism and going into the BBC. Working for pharmaceutical companies etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayy17)
    It's bassicly biology with a modern medicine aspect. You learn different modules from genetics to anatomy. Different unis have different modules. It's a course that is good if you like human biology and interested in medicine. Some people go into graduate entry med and most into lab jobs. There are loads of other career choices such as journalism and going into the BBC. Working for pharmaceutical companies etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That sounds awesome and almost perfect for me Thanks for the info

ReputationRep:
    Hello! Have applied to do biomedical science and received offers from surrey, bath and Sheffield, waiting for Durham and Warwick! Clueless to which unis to put as firm and insurance! Any ideas? Which uni is better? As Warwick is higher in the overall league table but lower for biomed!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bumblebee!)
    Hello! Have applied to do biomedical science and received offers from surrey, bath and Sheffield, waiting for Durham and Warwick! Clueless to which unis to put as firm and insurance! Any ideas? Which uni is better? As Warwick is higher in the overall league table but lower for biomed!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm a first year biomed student at Warwick. The department is very good, although they're not massively organised at some points. Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lethorio)
    I'm a first year biomed student at Warwick. The department is very good, although they're not massively organised at some points. Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks! I'm just not too sure how I'm going to choose! Because Warwick looks SO GOOD and it's in a good distance. It's high in the league tables but a bit lower in science league tables, whereas Sheffield is higher!
    Is Warwick IBMS accredited?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I'm just not too sure how I'm going to choose! Because Warwick looks SO GOOD and it's in a good distance. It's high in the league tables but a bit lower in science league tables, whereas Sheffield is higher!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nope, it's unaccredited. The quality of the teaching is very high. I was told that the league position was due to a massive overhaul a few years ago that caused quite a lot of disruption but was done to improve the department in the long term. I have no idea how much truth there is in this.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    IBMS accredited degrees are more focused on providing students with essentials and core knowledge required for an NHS related job. The Biomedical Science degree at Warwick is more focused on the research side of things. Instead of trying to build a lab technician, they want to focus on creating a mindset based on becoming a researcher. A lot of people I know are currently applying for graduate entry medicine. The department at Warwick is highly renowned for it's quality research at an international level.

That's probably the reason why I chose Warwick over Sheffield.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloades11)
    IBMS accredited degrees are more focused on providing students with essentials and core knowledge required for an NHS related job. The Biomedical Science degree at Warwick is more focused on the research side of things. Instead of trying to build a lab technician, they want to focus on creating a mindset based on becoming a researcher. A lot of people I know are currently applying for graduate entry medicine. The department at Warwick is highly renowned for it's quality research at an international level.

That's probably the reason why I chose Warwick over Sheffield.
    you do realise one can apply for gem with an ibms accredited biomed degree.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smd4std)
    you do realise one can apply for gem with an ibms accredited biomed degree.
    Hence why I said I know a lot of people applying for graduate medicine. I don't know if/how ibms accredited helps for gem, it's not my place to know. All I know is that gem is extremely competitive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloades11)
    Hence why I said I know a lot of people applying for graduate medicine. I don't know if/how ibms accredited helps for gem, it's not my place to know. All I know is that gem is extremely competitive.
    people get in to GEM with 2.1's...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smd4std)
    people get in to GEM with 2.1's...
    A couple even take 2.2, but your grade plays a minute role in the decision to take your application further. GEM is definitely far more competitive.

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking that perhaps I should've followed the GEM crowd - employment as a biomedy with an accredited degree but lacking a IBMS portfolio completion is ridiculously difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ash92:))
    I'm thinking that perhaps I should've followed the GEM crowd - employment as a biomedy with an accredited degree but lacking a IBMS portfolio completion is ridiculously difficult.
    In the current climate, everything is ridiculously difficult, and you won't find an easier time with the GEM crowd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)
    In the current climate, everything is ridiculously difficult, and you won't find an easier time with the GEM crowd.
    I feel so stupid asking this but what is GEM? ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Graduate entry medicine

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Graduate entry medicine. Usually a year shorter than the undergraduate course but significantly harder to get onto because there are so few places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)
    You're probably right, unfortunately.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ash92:))

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My exact thought!!

But too late now...I'll probably have to wait another year to apply :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2468)
    My exact thought!!

But too late now...I'll probably have to wait another year to apply :rolleyes:
    So is it better to have a degree IBMS accredited?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.