Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    That's my point. Bar an Arsenal fan trying to prove me wrong I think it's fairly clear in an open end to end game you would have comprehensively slaughtered us. We play a slow passing game, without our play maker we're nothing and without Balotelli we offer little in terms of penetration.

(Original post by In2deep)
    City's mentality:

- We attack Arsenal, we shall definitely lose
    - We defend like our lives are on the line, we might get a point if we are lucky

You call them title contenders? :facepalm2:
    Arsenal could do with taking this mentality up sometimes. Stopping your rivals picking up points is just as important as picking them up for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal fans butthurt about 'anti-football'? Would never have thought it. City lost last time out at CoM against Arsenal(albeit against 10 men). It was clear what Mancini's approach would have been and any other sensible manager would have done the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mastermind`)
    Arsenal fans butthurt about 'anti-football'? Would never have thought it. City lost last time out at CoM against Arsenal(albeit against 10 men). It was clear what Mancini's approach would have been and any other sensible manager would have done the same.
    Nobody is surprised MM`, it is still extremely annoying.

I think we're just detracting from the main issue which is why we always have to miss at least 3 golden chances to score ffs..

I'm annoyed as **** right now, I shall cool off until MOTD..

MOTD tonight people

ReputationRep:
    Great logic then :congrats:

Can you explain why Arsenal have won the most games in the PL so far this season? Why didn't all those teams just park the bus?

fyi, every single team we have played against in the last 3 seasons at least, excluding Barca and maybe one or two others, have parked the bus..
    Away from home the onus is on the home team to attack Arsenal.I dont question the fact Arsenal are a great team when given time and space.Your home form hasn't been too great this year losses to Newcastle and West Brom and unconvincing victories against the likes of West Ham and Birmingham.

ReputationRep:
    City didn't have Silva or Balotelli; Mancini realized that a point would be a good result. I won't begrudge him for it.

On a slightly related note, could any City fans inform me as to why Adam Johnson is so often benched? Whenever I see him play he seems to dribble through defenders at will and score/assist aplenty. He's surely a better option than bloody James Milner?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beneb)
    City didn't have Silva or Balotelli; Mancini realized that a point would be a good result. I won't begrudge him for it.

On a slightly related note, could any City fans inform me as to why Adam Johnson is so often benched? Whenever I see him play he seems to dribble through defenders at will and score/assist aplenty. He's surely a better option than bloody James Milner?
    Because generally he doesn't offer much end product, doesn't offer much defensively and he doesn't perform against top teams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoMatrix)
    If Arsenal want to be the best they have to break down these tight defences.Teams deliberately approach games against Arsenal like this because they know it is what will get them a point at the very least.
    Well could you not say the same about United then? They've had a lot of draws this season, in fact City employed the same negative tactics against them and got a 0-0. Yet still United are favourites for the title, although admittedly it's mainly down to the failings of the others rather than them playing particularly well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeppasloth)
    Because generally he doesn't offer much end product, doesn't offer much defensively and he doesn't perform against top teams.
    I see.

He's still better than Milner.

ReputationRep:
    City's mentality:

- We attack Arsenal, we shall definitely lose
    - We defend like our lives are on the line, we might get a point if we are lucky

You call them title contenders? :facepalm2:
    If they can draw against us and continue beating the 'lesser' teams they'll probably finish above us.

We could've wrapped the game up after 10 mins but didn't put our chances away - that's football.

Nevertheless, I didn't, and still don't, understand why Jo started for City. I found him totally ineffective. Why didn't they start Milner on the left and AJ on the right; they could've certainly done far more damage, and may have scored on a counter whilst we were firing on all cylinders. It's something Mancini hasn't adopted and must if City want a shot at the title.

Counter-attacking football, the way the cheating *******s in Italy have always done it. Why doesn't he implement it in City's game?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ar5enal Fan)
    Well could you not say the same about United then? They've had a lot of draws this season, in fact City employed the same negative tactics against them and got a 0-0. Yet still United are favourites for the title, although admittedly it's mainly down to the failings of the others rather than them playing particularly well.
    United manage to get something out of the game whilst playing badly if I remember correctly they scored late goals to salvage a 2-2 draw at Villa and a last minute goal against Wolves.Arsenal are just not a consistent as United and they will fall away at the business end of the season.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there was anything wrong with our performance. Maybe Wilshere could've done better for the chance in the opening minute but I thought we played well overall. We were a bit unlucky with hitting the post twice -- one of those goes in on another day and it's an easier game. We knew what we were going to get from Man City -- can't blame them at all.

Oh well. Couple of cup games to look forward to now!

ReputationRep:
    A lot of City fans share your opinion Beneb.

If it's any consolation United were far far far far far less troubling than you.

(Original post by Stalin)
    Counter-attacking football, the way the cheating *******s in Italy have always done it. Why doesn't he implement it in City's game?
    Try watching us before you start talking about our game.

ReputationRep:
    City were missing a lot of their star players (who play in attacking position), they were away from home, they were against a team who loves to counter-attack, and they lose 3-0 in this match earlier on this season?

What, and you are wondering why they didn't attack more?

Come on guys, really? Zabaleta shouldn't have been sent off either imo, normally "squaring up" is just about ok (ie not a red card offence) but jabbing your head forward is not (which Sagna did, not Zaba).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    Nevertheless, I didn't, and still don't, understand why Jo started for City. I found him totally ineffective. Why didn't they start Milner on the left and AJ on the right; they could've certainly done far more damage, and may have scored on a counter whilst we were firing on all cylinders. It's something Mancini hasn't adopted and must if City want a shot at the title.
    I agree with this. He hardly touched the ball at all. I can only think it was to give them a bit more height at set pieces (apparently half of Arsenal's conceded goals have been from set pieces this season), and to try to provide flick ons for Tevez. It didn't work at all, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeppasloth)
    A lot of City fans share your opinion Beneb.

If it's any consolation United were far far far far far less troubling than you.

Try watching us before you start talking about our game.
    I did, yous did **** all tonight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoMatrix)
    United manage to get something out of the game whilst playing badly if I remember correctly they scored late goals to salvage a 2-2 draw at Villa and a last minute goal against Wolves.Arsenal are just not a consistent as United and they will fall away at the business end of the season.
    Yes and United have also thrown points away, for example conceding 2 in stoppage time against Everton or conceding late against Birmingham. I'm not disagreeing that they are more consistent though, and it looks like they will win the title but they have a lot of hard fixtures left to go, while we've now got City and Chelsea out the way. If we get knocked out by Barca and United progress we'll also be focusing mainly on the league then, but as usual injuries are a big worry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    I don't think there was anything wrong with our performance. Maybe Wilshere could've done better for the chance in the opening minute but I thought we played well overall. We were a bit unlucky with hitting the post twice -- one of those goes in on another day and it's an easier game. We knew what we were going to get from Man City -- can't blame them at all.

Oh well. Couple of cup games to look forward to now!
    You hit the post three times, actually

And yes, you were unlucky tonight. 2nd is still on though - and that's not a bad result, it's better than a lot of pundits/people would have predicted for you at the start of the season.

ReputationRep:
    What is the point of City buying all those players if they are just going to park the bus?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrEboueEmmanuel)
    What is the point of City buying all those players if they are just going to park the bus?
    They bought De Jong, Barry, Yaya Toure, Kolo Toure...all defensive players. Their 'star buys' have been around building a solid defence, not all-out attack.

Two of their three best attacking players (Silva and Balotelli, with Tevez being the third) were unfit. City were away from home, playing against an Arsenal team which loves to punish teams on the counter-attack, and had lots of star attackers unfit...and you are wondering why they didn't attack more? Really?

ReputationRep:
    Season isn't over. People thought Chelsea were the one's to beat in October and look at them now. Man United haven't got it wrapped up with a pretty bow just yet.
    Slow and steady wins the race, I think we still have a chance.
    Want another CB though. Preferably one with pace who won't give away silly penalties or free kicks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.