Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JOR2010)
    Thought I'd reply to this as well since I'm fortunate enough to be off to the LSE soon!

My average over my best 3 subjects (which were French, History and Maths) was 93%. My lowest UMS average (out of the 6 subjects I did at AS) was in Economics! :')
    Well done on getting into LSE! What course, if you don't mind me asking?

Your situation is pretty similar to mine,

Got 100% in Maths A Level, 95% in my second AS and *only* 90% in Economics AS, so my overall average is about 95%. Weird how the subject I want to apply for is my worst in terms of UMS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giant)
    That's pretty much the same as me,

Got 100% in Maths A Level, 95% in my second AS and *only* 90% in Economics AS, so my overall average is about 95%.
    Sounds pretty good to me!

ReputationRep:
    Would I just go into clearing

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Recent economics graduate checking in, 5As before the A* grade came in, university of nottingham, any questions feel free to quote me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NesQuiK.)
    Recent economics graduate checking in, 5As before the A* grade came in, university of nottingham, any questions feel free to quote me
    May I ask how much roughly was your exams/content maths rather than essays ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thought I'd reply to this as well since I'm fortunate enough to be off to the LSE soon!

My average over my best 3 subjects (which were French, History and Maths) was 93%. My lowest UMS average (out of the 6 subjects I did at AS) was in Economics! :')
    So does LSE look at the average from 3 best subjects or do they consider it separately too (my lowest is Chemistry at 88%).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplemind)
    So does LSE look at the average from 3 best subjects or do they consider it separately too (my lowest is Chemistry at 88%).
    There's very little official info on what exactly they do with the scores.

You have to enter all UMS score for all the modules you sat through a form they send you after they receive your application.

I imagine it works the same as Cambridge, though: they look first at the average, but also consider under properties, such as relevance of module, the median mark, dispersion and anomalous results.

I doubt your chemistry mark (which is actually very good) will have any bearing at all on their decision. Maths and Further Maths are the priorities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplemind)
    No, I don't know exactly what LSE do. As long as your UMS are strong (yours clearly are), then you'll be fine. They just want to see you are a capable mathematician.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by knowledgecorruptz)
    There's very little official info on what exactly they do with the scores.

You have to enter all UMS score for all the modules you sat through a form they send you after they receive your application.

I imagine it works the same as Cambridge, though: they look first at the average, but also consider under properties, such as relevance of module, the median mark, dispersion and anomalous results.

I doubt your chemistry mark (which is actually very good) will have any bearing at all on their decision. Maths and Further Maths are the priorities.
    No, I don't know exactly what LSE do. As long as your UMS are strong (yours clearly are), then you'll be fine. They just want to see you are a capable mathematician.
    Thank you both. I have just been paranoid because it is below the 'magic' 90%.

ReputationRep:
    Any people who aren't geniuses looking at Leicester or UEA? Both ABB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ayooshc)
    I got a B in my fourth AS [biology], so my average was 84ish. my average without the 4th was about 90. i had to to take one chemistry module twice. but my A-levels weren't ideal either- i was self studying FM, but was going to take the exam last summer, and didn't have Econ. and my core scores averaged at 85. most of the people applying are solid mathematicians.
    Hi. Where did you get offers and rejections from, if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

So I'm contemplating what to drop for A2,And I'm looking at applying for economics.
    My current subjects are Maths,Chemistry,Geography and Biology.
    (I got a C for Biology,which was my lowest AS grade)
    Also wondering is further maths helpful for applying to economics? And If i do an AS in it what will it involve?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blazekid75)
    Hey guys

So I'm contemplating what to drop for A2,And I'm looking at applying for economics.
    My current subjects are Maths,Chemistry,Geography and Biology.
    (I got a C for Biology,which was my lowest AS grade)
    Also wondering is further maths helpful for applying to economics? And If i do an AS in it what will it involve?

Thanks!
    I'd say drop Biology if it's your lowest. As long as you don't drop Maths or Geography either of the sciences is fine. Reason to keep Maths is because it's needed and Geography is an essay based subject so that's always useful for Economics.

AS Further Maths involved modules FP1 and any 2 of S1, M1, D1 and possibly S2, M2, D2. So what it involved depends heavily on the units you choose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)
    I'd say drop Biology if it's your lowest. As long as you don't drop Maths or Geography either of the sciences is fine. Reason to keep Maths is because it's needed and Geography is an essay based subject so that's always useful for Economics.

AS Further Maths involved modules FP1 and any 2 of S1, M1, D1 and possibly S2, M2, D2. So what it involved depends heavily on the units you choose.
    Ah thanks for the reply Ned! I think i'll probably drop biology,and should I just focus on the 3 A2 subjects or should i try taking an As in further maths(I've already done S1 and I will be doing S2 this year)

ReputationRep:
    Ah thanks for the reply Ned! I think i'll probably drop biology,and should I just focus on the 3 A2 subjects or should i try taking an As in further maths(I've already done S1 and I will be doing S2 this year)
    That's up to you. If you can handle it then by all means go for it since it can only help but I wouldn't if it would put a strain on my 3 A2 subjects.

ReputationRep:
    That's up to you. If you can handle it then by all means go for it since it can only help but I wouldn't if it would put a strain on my 3 A2 subjects.
    Ah ok,i plan to retake a few modules anyway.
    thanks for the help!

ReputationRep:
    Not really you could always do FP2/FP3 as part of the Further Maths AS and any module from M1-M4 or S1-S4 as long as it isn't being used in Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    Not really you could always do FP2/FP3 as part of the Further Maths AS and any module from M1-M4 or S1-S4 as long as it isn't being used in Maths.
    Ah , Have you done further maths before? are the FP modules hard? And would there be any point in just doing an AS,will it improve my chances of getting into uni for economics greatly?

ReputationRep:
    Ah , Have you done further maths before? are the FP modules hard? And would there be any point in just doing an AS,will it improve my chances of getting into uni for economics greatly?
    Yes I have done an AS in Further Maths. FP1 is about the same difficulty as C1 and C2, can't comment on FP2/3 as I haven't done them yet. Yes it is useful and as for chances it would depend on the uni, if you have a choice pick Stats and Pure modules as they will help you, Mechanics and Decision are pretty useless for Economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    Yes I have done an AS in Further Maths. FP1 is about the same difficulty as C1 and C2, can't comment on FP2/3 as I haven't done them yet. Yes it is useful and as for chances it would depend on the uni, if you have a choice pick Stats and Pure modules as they will help you, Mechanics and Decision are pretty useless for Economics.
    Ok thanks for the advice!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.