Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    OK I'm going guys (to eat breakfast)
    If I don't come back to tsr; then GOOD LUCK AND HOPEFULLY WE CAN DO REALLY WELL!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ali_Ludley)
    I know that, you dont get marks for IDID, you have to write instantaneous dipole induced dipole bonds to get the mark, I was just stating examples though so I couldn't be bothered writing them out.
    Just a heads up to anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain nucleophilic substitution and electrophilic addition to me?

ReputationRep:
    does simple molecular structure also imply covalents bonding, or do i have to say simple molecular structure with dovalent bonding directly? same goes with giant lattice strucutre, does just giant lattice structure imply covalent bonding, or do i have to say hpgiant lattice structure with covalent bonding?

do we say radiate or do we say re-emit for IR radiationreleased from molecules?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Why are HCFC's broken down in troposphere but not in stratosphere?????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisshP)
    does simple molecular structure also imply covalents bonding, or do i have to say simple molecular structure with dovalent bonding directly? same goes with giant lattice strucutre, does just giant lattice structure imply covalent bonding, or do i have to say hpgiant lattice structure with covalent bonding?

do we say radiate or do we say re-emit for IR radiationreleased from molecules?

thanks
    I say re-emit
    And you don't have to say covalently bonded but add it just incase

ReputationRep:
    What's an amine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _FDarr13)
    What's an amine?
    amonnia is N with four hydrogens

Amine is N with 3 or less hydrogens

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SyedaK)
    Can someone explain nucleophilic substitution and electrophilic addition to me?
    Nucleophilic substitution is where a nucleophile (A molecule or element with a lone pair of electrons that it can donate to form a new covalent bond) substitutes with an atom or group on a (normally) halogenoalkane or alkane.
    The electrophilic addition is where a molecule approaches another molecule (Normally a bromine molecule to a alkene) with a DOUBLE BOND. Then the (example here Br2 and C2H4) bromine becomes polarised as its electrons in the bond are repelled down the bond and then the double bond in the ethene breaks and the Br-Br bond breaks hetrolytically and a C-Br bond forms. Whats left is a Carbocation and a negatively charged bromine ion which then rapidly form the last bond. Forming C2H4Br2.
    The main differences are the substitution (Leaving another product) compared with addition (leaving no extra products) and also in electrophilic involves double bonds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davelittle)
    Why are HCFC's broken down in troposphere but not in stratosphere?????
    I believe that this is because the UV radiation in the stratosphere isn't strong enough for photodissociation to occur (isn't strong enough to break the bonds in the HCFC), while it is in the troposphere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kathiye)
    I believe that this is because the UV radiation in the stratosphere isn't strong enough for photodissociation to occur (isn't strong enough to break the bonds in the HCFC), while it is in the troposphere.
    I thought it was because they had weaker intermolecular bonds so could break down in troposphere so didn't need much energy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SyedaK)
    I thought it was because they had weaker intermolecular bonds so could break down in troposphere so didn't need much energy
    Sorry, you're right! I got confused for a moment there. They break down in the troposphere, before they reach the stratosphere. Is that right?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, you're right! I got confused for a moment there. They break down in the troposphere, before they reach the stratosphere. Is that right?
    That's correct. Otherwise, they wouldn't be a useful replacement if they were to photodissociate in the stratosphere and react with ozone.

ReputationRep:
    No... CFC's are highly unreactive and are onbly broken down by high energy radiation (UV), O3 block most UV so CFC's are only broken down in the stratosphere

EDIT: sorry thought we were talking about CFC's xD not alternatives

ReputationRep:
    I think you might be saving my chemistry A-level...

ReputationRep:
    Exam in 27 minutes. Now off to school. Good luck guys!

ReputationRep:
    So how did everyone find it? I thought it was very average, many repeated questions from past papers... I did find the naming of the molecule at the end of question 1 odd...

Pre release questions were very nice imo, especially the 6 marker at the end. Hope everyone found it ok!

ReputationRep:
    What did everyone get for what type alcohol it was?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheetahs56)
    What did everyone get for what type alcohol it was?
    Tertiary

ReputationRep:
    Systematic name of hydrogenated Z-cimene (or however you spell it)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.