Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord of the Flies)
    I had already solved it but was eager to post a solution to 98, after that blunder. Also, it doesn't matter what order the solutions come in - this thread is not a competition, it's for fun!
    Haha I swear you never make mistakes!

I know, I know :lol: Tbf fair I only really typed it to practice my latex

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkn)
    France vs. Bulgaria
    I would genuinely pay to see a maths-off between these two :lol: Stick L'art in there as well :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Solution 105

I shall not consider convergence; if somebody is interested, I can justify my approach.

Let us see..

From Cauchy, we have
    \begin{aligned} \displaystyle \left(\sum_{i=1}^{\infty} (-1)^{i}\frac{x^{2i+1}}{(2i)!!} \right)\left(\sum_{i=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^{2i}}{((2i)!!)^{2}} \right) &= xe^{-\frac{x^{2}}{2}}\left(\sum_{i=0}  ^{\infty} \frac{x^{2i}}{4^{i}(i!)^{2}} \right) \end{aligned}.
    Hence,
    \begin{aligned} \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} \left(\sum_{i=1}^{\infty} (-1)^{i}\frac{x^{2i+1}}{(2i)!!} \right)\left(\sum_{i=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^{2i}}{((2i)!!)^{2}} \right)dx &= \sum_{i=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2^{2i}(i!)^{2}} \int_{0}^{\infty} x^{2i+1}e^{-\frac{x^{2}}{2}}dx \\&= \sum_{i=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2^{2i}(i!)^{2}} \int_{0}^{\infty} 2^{i}x^{i}e^{-x}dx \\&= \sum_{i=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2^{2i}(i!)^{2}} 2^{i}\Gamma(i+1) \\&= \sum_{i=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2^{i}(i!)} \\&= e^{\frac{1}{2}} \end{aligned}.

Edit: I was to post a solution to problem 108, but just saw the spoiler.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Felix Felicis)
    I would genuinely pay to see a maths-off between these two :lol: Stick L'art in there as well :lol:
    Me too :lol: "Student room international Olympiad". As long as I get to set the questions I'm happy

(Original post by Mladenov)
    Edit: I was to post a solution to problem 108, but just saw the spoiler.
    Hahahaa, did you figure out why? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metaltron)
    I got 180 points I think for a Number Theory Question, it was Q8 but it was similar to STEP I Q1 2000.

For Combinatorics I got 180 points too, but also got three wrong answers for one so that ruined the moment for me really.

I think you can only get 180 pts for a question in Level 3.
    Oh yeah that one was quite funny, I took seconds! That means theres a 6/8 overlap between levels (thats level 4's 3rd hardest one atm!) :eek:

Awesome man. Yeah level 4 only goes up to 230

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mladenov)
    Splendid solution.
    You are not using continuity, so it is not necessary.

Another approach:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Clearly, f \equiv 1 is a solution. Suppose that there is at least one z such that f(z) \not= 1. We have f(xy)=f(x)f(y) and f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y) for all x,y\in \mathbb{R^{+}}. Since f is bounded below and satisfies f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y), it follows that f(x)=cx, c\in \mathbb{R^{+}}. Note that c^{2}xy=cxy implies c=1. Hence all the solutions are f \equiv 1 and f(x)=x.
    We have f(xy)=f(x)f(y) and f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y) for all x,y\in \mathbb{R^{+}}.

How did you get these?

ReputationRep:
    Since there is some love for function based questions..

Problem 109*/**

f(x) = sin(x) - \displaystyle\int_0^x (x-t)f(t) dt

Find f exactly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireGarden)

Problem 109*/**

Find f exactly
    Not sure if this is right...

Assume x is not a function of t.

Letting x=t gives f(t)=sint.

So \displaystyle f(x) = sinx + \int_0^x (t-x)sint dt
    \displaystyle = sinx +[[-(t-x)cost] + sint]_0^x = 2sinx-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkn)
    Not sure if this is right...

Solution 109

Assume x is not a function of t.

Letting x=t gives f(t)=sint.

So \displaystyle f(x) = sinx + \int_0^x (t-x)sint dt
    \displaystyle = sinx +[[-(t-x)cosx] + sinx]_0^x = 2sinx-x
    t is simply a dummy variable for the integral, it doesn't really need to be considered all that much.

Edit: Realising that it wasn't previously clear at all, it's not correct.

ReputationRep:
    t is simply a dummy variable for the integral, it doesn't really need to be considered all that much.
    Is it right then?

Well then how can you define a dummy variable? And why is it you you can assume that x can be treated as a constant in the integral?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkn)
    Is it right then?

Well then how can you define a dummy variable? And why is it you you can assume that x can be treated as a constant in the integral?
    I edited my previous post.

x is certainly a constant in the integral; giving the function f a value of x defines the limits and the x inside the integral as a constant.

ReputationRep:

Problem 109*/**

Find f exactly
    Partial solution (will finish if I get time later).

Spoiler:
    Show
    Differentiate both sides to get f'(x)=cos(x)+xf(0)=cos(x)+cx

so f(x)=sin(x)+cx^2/2+d for constants c and d. By plugging this into the original equation we may get conditions that c,d must satisfy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james22)
    Partial solution (will finish if I get time later).

Spoiler:
    Show
    Differentiate both sides to get f'(x)=cos(x)+xf(0)=cos(x)+cx

so f(x)=sin(x)+cx^2/2+d for constants c and d. By plugging this into the original equation we may get conditions that c,d must satisfy.
    You have carried out your method incorrectly. (Though it was the method I was expecting)

ReputationRep:
    I edited my previous post.

x is certainly a constant in the integral; giving the function f a value of x defines the limits and the x inside the integral as a constant.
    Well then if it is a constant then why is it denoted most the most universally recognisable symbol for a variable?

And if it is a constant then its derivative is not f'(x) so how is it that you would expect this?

ReputationRep:
    Solution 109

\displaystyle f(x)=\sin x-\int_0^x (x-t) f(t)\,dt=\sin x-\int_0^x\int_0^t f(w)\,dw\,dt

Hence y+y''=-\sin x\Rightarrow y=\mathcal{C}\cos x+\mathcal{C}'\sin x+\frac{1}{2}x\cos x

\displaystyle\cdots\Rightarrow \mathcal{C}'=\frac{1}{2},\; \mathcal{C}=0 \Rightarrow f(x)=\frac{1}{2}\big(\sin x+x\cos x\big)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkn)
    Well then if it is a constant then why is it denoted most the most universally recognisable symbol for a variable?

And if it is a constant then its derivative is not f'(x) so how is it that you would expect this?
    Do you believe  f(x) = \displaystyle\int_0^x x sin(t) dt to be an ill-defined function?

Take some particular value,  x= \pi , and you get  f(\pi) = \displaystyle\int_0^{\pi} \pi sin(t) dt = 2\pi

My function works similarly, and is just as well-defined.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord of the Flies)
    Solution 109

\displaystyle f(x)=\sin x-\int_0^x (x-t) f(t)\,dt=\sin x+\int_0^x\int_0^t f(w)\,dw\,dt

Hence y+y''=-\sin x\Rightarrow y=\mathcal{C}\cos x+\mathcal{C}'\sin x+\frac{1}{2}x\cos x

\displaystyle\int_0^0 f(t)\,dt= f(0)=0\Rightarrow \mathcal{C}=\frac{1}{2},\mathcal  {C}'=0 \Rightarrow f(x)=\frac{1}{2}\big(\sin x+x\cos x\big)

Sign mistake! Wait!
    Correct. I was about to question your sinh(x), but saw your edit as I quoted you!

ReputationRep:
    Correct. I was about to question your sinh(x), but saw your edit as I quoted you!
    Yes I started with the wrong equation :lol:

(Original post by Felix Felicis)
    That sig. :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    Do you believe  f(x) = \displaystyle\int_0^x x sin(t) dt to be an ill-defined function?

Take some particular value,  x= \pi , and you get  f(\pi) = \displaystyle\int_0^{\pi} \pi sin(t) dt = 2\pi

My function works similarly, and is just as well-defined.
    Hmm I suppose I'll just ponder it some more (never really since this type of function before). Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Problem 110*

Prove that \displaystyle (\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}{a_k}{b_k})^  2 \leq \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}{a_k}^2 \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}{a_k}^2 for all real numbers \displaystyle a_k, b_k with using Cauchy-Schwartz.

Problem 111* (another problem I've adapted from something else. Oh how I love generalisations...)

Let a,b and \lambda be positive integers such that  a\lambda=b^3. Find the minimum value of a+b for the different cases that arise according to the value of \lambda given that \lambda has 4 proper factors (i.e. factors not including itself and 1.)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.