Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The European/World Football Thread III watch

ReputationRep:
    Everytime I watch Madrid they seem to have these high scoring games

ReputationRep:
    What is Varane doing haha. World class my ass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ra-ra-ra)
    Yesterday was another Benfica game that missed. I’m not doing well with watching Benfica at the moment! Seemed like another basic win without playing their best stuff. Got the job done and all three points went your way, nothing else really needed.

As for Porto, we played completely opposite to how we played against Sporting. We were poor. Saying that, Belenenses played well and completely deserved their point. One of those games we must put behind us and completely forget about.

And now only three points between us. Currently watching Sporting-Maritimo. Decent so far. Two nice goals too, one from Capel and then a nice free kick from Ferreira. And just as i type this Maritimo had a penalty and made it 2-1! If it stays like this then it’s been a successful weekend for Benfica!
    Starting off with the weekend, yeh, you're right that we won without playing our best. In fact, we were quite poor, but managed to score two lucky goals in quick succession and that pretty much ended the match and any fight left in Academica. Then Markovic scored a beauty of a goal near the end (which left me smiling for a good few minutes, he always scores awesome goals) which settled it. We really didn't do much to deserve a 3-0 win.

Porto surprised me. Seemed tired, or probably the pitch didn't help. Great for us because this means that the title race is still on.

As for Sporting, I saw they had scored a goal so I ignored it for an hour or so, but then when I went to check the score again it was 2-1 to Maritimo so I decided to turn it on. What I saw was that Sporting were completely dominant, it looked like it was just a matter of time til they scored and they did, even though it was thanks to a slightly dubious penalty. Deserved win anyway I think.

Anyway.... Moving on. Champions League.

It doesn't look good for us... we couldn't afford to lose this match tonight, and now it is going to be very hard for us to go through. I can't believe how the match played out either... we completely and utterly dominated the match, which is the first time I can say that this whole season, that was easily the best performance so far.

Olympiakos scored from a corner (which we should have dealt with) and that was it, they did nothing more. They relied on Roberto to bail them out. He was ridiculous tonight, he was definitely out to prove a point and get some revenge.

This was definitely one of those games where nothing wanted to go in. It's like they say in Portuguese "defendeu tudo... e mais alguma coisa".

Ah well.. I hope we can at least have a good Europa league run again >_>

The only thing positive from this was our performance. I really hope we play like this from now on (but with better finishing)... and we have a very important match coming up next in the Taça. Ruben Amorim was excellent, defending well and being a creative force in attack. I'd like to see him play for Portugal more often than Ruben Micael does. Silvio also impressed me... probably played better than what I've seen from Siqueira until now (he missed the match due to injury).

*siiigh*

Hopefully Porto can get something tomorrow... they'll need to win, and definitely NOT lose, otherwise it's over.

EDIT: So it a draw. Not bad I guess, could have lost it if Hulk had scored the penalty, but also shouldn't have conceeded the equaliser, bad defending once again. I actually didn't realise Porto were only 1 point behind Zenit tbh. It's still easily possible for Porto to make the next round, even though this was an important match to win. They just need to beat Atletico and then hope they do Porto a favour by beating Zenit.

ReputationRep:
    Great game by Nigeria's under 17 team

completely bossed mexico

Record 4 times winners of this tournament with 3 runner up places

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niceguy95)
    Great game by Nigeria's under 17 team

completely bossed mexico

Record 4 times winners of this tournament with 3 runner up places
    Completely dominated the tournament son, didn't score less than 3 goals in every game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aa22)
    Starting off with the weekend, yeh, you're right that we won without playing our best. In fact, we were quite poor, but managed to score two lucky goals in quick succession and that pretty much ended the match and any fight left in Academica. Then Markovic scored a beauty of a goal near the end (which left me smiling for a good few minutes, he always scores awesome goals) which settled it. We really didn't do much to deserve a 3-0 win.

Porto surprised me. Seemed tired, or probably the pitch didn't help. Great for us because this means that the title race is still on.

As for Sporting, I saw they had scored a goal so I ignored it for an hour or so, but then when I went to check the score again it was 2-1 to Maritimo so I decided to turn it on. What I saw was that Sporting were completely dominant, it looked like it was just a matter of time til they scored and they did, even though it was thanks to a slightly dubious penalty. Deserved win anyway I think.

Anyway.... Moving on. Champions League.

It doesn't look good for us... we couldn't afford to lose this match tonight, and now it is going to be very hard for us to go through. I can't believe how the match played out either... we completely and utterly dominated the match, which is the first time I can say that this whole season, that was easily the best performance so far.

Olympiakos scored from a corner (which we should have dealt with) and that was it, they did nothing more. They relied on Roberto to bail them out. He was ridiculous tonight, he was definitely out to prove a point and get some revenge.

This was definitely one of those games where nothing wanted to go in. It's like they say in Portuguese "defendeu tudo... e mais alguma coisa".

Ah well.. I hope we can at least have a good Europa league run again >_>

The only thing positive from this was our performance. I really hope we play like this from now on (but with better finishing)... and we have a very important match coming up next in the Taça. Ruben Amorim was excellent, defending well and being a creative force in attack. I'd like to see him play for Portugal more often than Ruben Micael does. Silvio also impressed me... probably played better than what I've seen from Siqueira until now (he missed the match due to injury).

*siiigh*

Hopefully Porto can get something tomorrow... they'll need to win, and definitely NOT lose, otherwise it's over.

EDIT: So it a draw. Not bad I guess, could have lost it if Hulk had scored the penalty, but also shouldn't have conceeded the equaliser, bad defending once again. I actually didn't realise Porto were only 1 point behind Zenit tbh. It's still easily possible for Porto to make the next round, even though this was an important match to win. They just need to beat Atletico and then hope they do Porto a favour by beating Zenit.
    It certainly doesn’t look good for you in the CL. In the last Liga match Benfica played fairly average and got a good 3-0 win, but in the CL you actually played really well in that match and lost. Absolutely agree with you that Roberto was trying to prove a point, the guy was great!

I actually missed our CL game because it was my graduation on Wednesday, but I have caught up on watching the highlights. We were a bit unlucky. We had times when Zenit were completely second best but that was such a stupid goal to concede. The last two goals we have conceded have been from defence mistakes. We were lucky that Hulk missed the penalty too. I don’t think we have a chance of progressing and we’ll be joining you in the Europa League. I feel it’ll be unlikely that we’ll get anything off Atléti.

Not really the best of results in the Europa League for the other clubs either. Just a bad week in Europe all round for Portuguese sides. I absolutely feel for Paços. After achieving such great things in the Liga to reach the Europa League and then it goes as bad as that for them. Costinha was never the right guy for the job. The guy should just never be a football manager at all – it’s as simple as that. I don't understand why some players feel they'll make good coaches. He failed with helping Beira Mar and although he had to deal with a few of last seasons stars from Paços leaving, he has completely messed them up.

Both William Carvalho and Bruma called up to the Portugal squad. William Carvalho deserves his place in the Portugal squad even if he won’t be playing. I see Bruma as a good player to have on the bench and throw on – hoping to be one of those impact substitutes if need be.

Anyway, tonight should be an entertaining game at the Luz in the Taça between you and Sporting.

EDIT: And entertaining it was!! Wow, cracking game. It's so tough to lose the game when the winning goal is conceded like that. Poor Sporting, poor Patricio. I feel for Sporting, you can see how upset a few of them were at the end - before it kicked off a bit with JJ. But an absolutely cracking game to watch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ra-ra-ra)
    It certainly doesn’t look good for you in the CL. In the last Liga match Benfica played fairly average and got a good 3-0 win, but in the CL you actually played really well in that match and lost. Absolutely agree with you that Roberto was trying to prove a point, the guy was great!

I actually missed our CL game because it was my graduation on Wednesday, but I have caught up on watching the highlights. We were a bit unlucky. We had times when Zenit were completely second best but that was such a stupid goal to concede. The last two goals we have conceded have been from defence mistakes. We were lucky that Hulk missed the penalty too. I don’t think we have a chance of progressing and we’ll be joining you in the Europa League. I feel it’ll be unlikely that we’ll get anything off Atléti.

Not really the best of results in the Europa League for the other clubs either. Just a bad week in Europe all round for Portuguese sides. I absolutely feel for Paços. After achieving such great things in the Liga to reach the Europa League and then it goes as bad as that for them. Costinha was never the right guy for the job. The guy should just never be a football manager at all – it’s as simple as that. I don't understand why some players feel they'll make good coaches. He failed with helping Beira Mar and although he had to deal with a few of last seasons stars from Paços leaving, he has completely messed them up.

Both William Carvalho and Bruma called up to the Portugal squad. William Carvalho deserves his place in the Portugal squad even if he won’t be playing. I see Bruma as a good player to have on the bench and throw on – hoping to be one of those impact substitutes if need be.

Anyway, tonight should be an entertaining game at the Luz in the Taça between you and Sporting.

EDIT: And entertaining it was!! Wow, cracking game. It's so tough to lose the game when the winning goal is conceded like that. Poor Sporting, poor Patricio. I feel for Sporting, you can see how upset a few of them were at the end - before it kicked off a bit with JJ. But an absolutely cracking game to watch.
    Yeh, bad week all round for Portuguese teams in Europe... Pacos have fallen so much since last year, even if they lost some important players, they shouldn't have become so bad and it's clear that it's Costinha's fault.

Interesting that William Carvalho has been called up now, the second that he becomes Jorge Mendes' client. I can't believe Ruben Amorim or Nelson Oliveira didn't get called up considering they are both very much in form and Ruben Micael and Eder do get called up despite being completely out of form, and in the case of Micael, being completely rubbish. I bet the only reason Micael is called up is because Mendes is also his agent.

Anyway. Yeh the match last night was amazing. It really had everything... one of the best derbies I've seen between Benfica and Sporting. I think in the end, we justified the win considering we had many more good chances and forced Patricio to make some amazing saves. We got a bit lucky with Andre Almeida's handball though.

Luisao's goal was a funny one, Patricio should have done better, hopefully he has used up his bad luck in goal at the Luz for this month because he'll be back there in a few days!

Ruben Amorim got injured again and we completely changed in the way we defended after that and started to lose control of the match. Hopefully it isn't anything too bad because he has been great. Also, once again Silvio was very good. Suprised that neither of them got called up tbh.

I'm glad that we managed to go through after a tough match in the CL... but this just means that Sporting can now completely concentrate on the league (and the League Cup, although that doesn't matter too much). Would be perfect if Porto went out again this year too, maybe this time we would actually be able to win the cup :P

(Congrats on graduating!)

ReputationRep:
    And there was me thinking Pirlo's goal would be the best of the match.

Great goal by Pogba.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aa22)
    Yeh, bad week all round for Portuguese teams in Europe... Pacos have fallen so much since last year, even if they lost some important players, they shouldn't have become so bad and it's clear that it's Costinha's fault.

Interesting that William Carvalho has been called up now, the second that he becomes Jorge Mendes' client. I can't believe Ruben Amorim or Nelson Oliveira didn't get called up considering they are both very much in form and Ruben Micael and Eder do get called up despite being completely out of form, and in the case of Micael, being completely rubbish. I bet the only reason Micael is called up is because Mendes is also his agent.

Anyway. Yeh the match last night was amazing. It really had everything... one of the best derbies I've seen between Benfica and Sporting. I think in the end, we justified the win considering we had many more good chances and forced Patricio to make some amazing saves. We got a bit lucky with Andre Almeida's handball though.

Luisao's goal was a funny one, Patricio should have done better, hopefully he has used up his bad luck in goal at the Luz for this month because he'll be back there in a few days!

Ruben Amorim got injured again and we completely changed in the way we defended after that and started to lose control of the match. Hopefully it isn't anything too bad because he has been great. Also, once again Silvio was very good. Suprised that neither of them got called up tbh.

I'm glad that we managed to go through after a tough match in the CL... but this just means that Sporting can now completely concentrate on the league (and the League Cup, although that doesn't matter too much). Would be perfect if Porto went out again this year too, maybe this time we would actually be able to win the cup :P

(Congrats on graduating!)
    I know, Ruben Micael just seems to always be a feature in the squad now regardless of his form. I’m surprised with no Nelson, I would have thought he would have had a place on the bench seeing as he normally does and gets thrown on occasionally.

I’m with you on it being one of the best between the two. I don’t even think it’s questionable to say it was one of the best games to come out of Portugal this season.

Please to God we see no mistakes like that from Patricio on Friday BUT to be fair to the guy it all happened late for him to react. I don’t think anyone expected Luisao to reach it when he was on the floor!

Yeah, that’s the only downside to Sporting being knocked out is that the Liga is solely all Sporting have to play for. Fatigue may come running into it at the end of the season when it all may count, especially if it’s like last season with Benfica making their way to the two cup finals and still on to win the league and messing up all in the space of a few days when you could tell fatigue really hit them (sorry, I know you didn’t really need to be reminded about this...). But it could come down the battle of the fittest at the end of the day.

Ah, tough luck! I say Guimarães are sick of the sight of us! They didn’t really cause us many problems and it was an okay performance by us. Better first than second but we got the job done. A week for Mangala to forget too!

And thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Ukraine leading France 2-0, interesting...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multitalented me)
    I'm so happy. I know we're only half way there but my boys in Kyiv have done me proud!

And dare I say Ukraine had the better chances! France just didn't play as a team and seemed wasteful when they got into the final third.

Gutted I won't be able to watch the return leg on Tuesday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldham_fran)
    I'm so happy. I know we're only half way there but my boys in Kyiv have done me proud!

And dare I say Ukraine had the better chances! France just didn't play as a team and seemed wasteful when they got into the final third.

Gutted I won't be able to watch the return leg on Tuesday
    The fact that you didn't concede an away goal could be crucial in the return leg if you can manage to nick one over there, France have the quality to turn it around though.

ReputationRep:
    sorry to be off topic but who is on the bottom left of your sig, she's phenomenal ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolscap)
    sorry to be off topic but who is on the bottom left of your sig, she's phenomenal ?
    Bottom left is Victoria Justice. I'm more curious to know who the middle bottom is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Bottom left is Victoria Justice. I'm more curious to know who the middle bottom is
    Claire Holt from The Vampire Diaries.

ReputationRep:
    Claire Holt from The Vampire Diaries.
    where did you find that snippet of victoria justice with light brown hair.....

ReputationRep:
    The fact that you didn't concede an away goal could be crucial in the return leg if you can manage to nick one over there, France have the quality to turn it around though.
    Oh yeah. I don't doubt that they can turn it around, especially since Fedetskiy and Kucher are both banned. We have Rakitskiy to slot right in though so he'll go some way into plugging our depleted defence.

I think if we can man-mark Ribery out of the game again then we have a chance.

Personally, I say just park the bloody bus infront of goal and protect that lead. As dull as it's gonna be I'd happily play for a 0-0 draw to get to Rio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldham_fran)
    Oh yeah. I don't doubt that they can turn it around, especially since Fedetskiy and Kucher are both banned. We have Rakitskiy to slot right in though so he'll go some way into plugging our depleted defence.

I think if we can man-mark Ribery out of the game again then we have a chance.

Personally, I say just park the bloody bus infront of goal and protect that lead. As dull as it's gonna be I'd happily play for a 0-0 draw to get to Rio.
    Yeah Ribery is the key player to keep quiet & he was nullified pretty well in the first leg, if DD plays the right starting 11 then France will have a better chance but the longer you can keep them scoring will lead to the home fans getting on the backs of Les Bleus & thus putting even more pressure on them, keep it tight & try & nick a goal on the counter Sorry to say this but I kind of prefer to see France at the WC as I feel they have better quality overall however you would have no doubt earned your way to the tourney & I still remember how they cheated Ireland out of the last WC :unimpressed: Shame Sheva isn't playing anymore

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Ribery is the key player to keep quiet & he was nullified pretty well in the first leg, if DD plays the right starting 11 then France will have a better chance but the longer you can keep them scoring will lead to the home fans getting on the backs of Les Bleus & thus putting even more pressure on them, keep it tight & try & nick a goal on the counter Sorry to say this but I kind of prefer to see France at the WC as I feel they have better quality overall however you would have no doubt earned your way to the tourney & I still remember how they cheated Ireland out of the last WC :unimpressed: Shame Sheva isn't playing anymore
    I agree that for sheer entertainment then France should be there. You'd be hard pushed to find anyone who doesn't want to see the likes of Ribery, Benzema etc. on the international stage. But it's about who earns it and I think in this case, France severely underestimated us.

And yep, shame about Sheva. Absolute legend. I'm still not happy that Yarmolenko, however good he can be, took over the no. 7 shirt. Should have been retired.

ReputationRep:
    obaobana ball watching poor goal to concede

hate watching mikel dribble

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 24, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.