Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bad AS results to great A2/A-levels results - success stories? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asyth)
    that's amazing!!! did you retake any of you AS exams?
    Thanks yep I re-took modules in all my subjects besides the one that I dropped (econ)

ReputationRep:
    I got CDE at AS but AAA for A2

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone improved physics from a B to an A at A2?

ReputationRep:
    Did you do any resits

ReputationRep:
    Do you mind me asking which subjects these were in and what did you get your teachers to predict you?x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chanda01)
    I wanted to apply to KCL, Oxford, Manchester, Birmingham and maybe Queen Mary (all for Law). I got 9A*, 3A, 1B (one mark off an A) at GCSEs. Would you still encourage me to continue and apply everywhere I intend?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't know if you've already been replied to, but I got 2A*, 10A and 1B at GCSE and Queen Mary have offered me a place for Law next year😊 definitely go for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asif118)
    I got BBB at AS in biology, chemistry and maths and got A*A*A at A2
    would you be able to tell me your strategy?? what did you change?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ismail786)
    im doing the exact same got D E E in chem bio and psych! gonna retake AS alongside A2.
    Any Tips as to how you got through it, because just thinking of 12 exams is very daunting????
    If you don't mind me asking what we're you predicted for A2?

ReputationRep:
    I got ABDD in maths physics Chemistry and further maths, I dropped FM and I'm planning to resit 3 to 4 papers. Do you think its possible to get into a good uni for aerospace engineering

ReputationRep:
    I got CCCDE in Maths, Chem, GenStudies, FMaths, Physics respectively in my AS...I decided to retake the year for many reasons, dropping FMaths and picking up Biology.

Upon my retake I got ABBBBC in Maths Chem Bio Physics GenStudies FMaths with 99% in the A for maths. My FMaths grade also went up as I didnt want a D on my record so I retook one module and got an A in it pushing my low D to high C.

During my first year I was very relaxed, having achieved only 1A*6As6Bs at GCSE and coming 2nd in my high school with 0% effort. I literally just attended class and didnt even know what past papers were. Coming to AS I wanted to do well but had the same attitude of always creating personal time and reading and doing work 1 night a week or even going 2/3 weeks without doing any work at home. I never bothered to complete homeworks set as I had no homeworks at high school so wasnt use to it and generally didnt work till like in some cases days to my exam where I pretty much learnt the syllabus. I got DDUU in my mocks before the exams and this was literally like 2 weeks before the real exams. Although I think the hardcore revision I did in those few days enabled me to learn a lot of what we've been taught, a lot of silly mistakes and minor slip ups due to lack of practise killed me in the exam.

Retaking the year I did significantly more work, trying my best to complete homeworks even though not all homeworks where still completed. I however did work this time around but couldnt be bother practising things I thought were basic. For maths I completed the exercises we are normally meant to do in class and the past papers before the exam. The only difference this time was close to the exam I didnt work as hard as I did last year and as a result ended up with the results I got. All my Bs were 78% which was weird but I am currently at A2 aiming for A*AA in Maths, Chem, Bio respectively with an A in FMaths....resitting an extra module.

---------UPDATE--------------

Having now completed my A2s I achieved AAAC in Maths, Chemistry, Biology, General Studies All As (88%)
    With BB at AS in Physics and FMaths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hudl)
    I got CCCDE in Maths, Chem, GenStudies, FMaths, Physics respectively in my AS...I decided to retake the year for many reasons, dropping FMaths and picking up Biology.

Upon my retake I got ABBBBC in Maths Chem Bio Physics GenStudies FMaths with 99% in the A for maths. My FMaths grade also went up as I didnt want a D on my record so I retook one module and got an A in it pushing my low D to high C.

During my first year I was very relaxed, having achieved only 1A*6As6Bs at GCSE and coming 2nd in my high school with 0% effort. I literally just attended class and didnt even know what past papers were. Coming to AS I wanted to do well but had the same attitude of always creating personal time and reading and doing work 1 night a week or even going 2/3 weeks without doing any work at home. I never bothered to complete homeworks set as I had no homeworks at high school so wasnt use to it and generally didnt work till like in some cases days to my exam where I pretty much learnt the syllabus. I got DDUU in my mocks before the exams and this was literally like 2 weeks before the real exams. Although I think the hardcore revision I did in those few days enabled me to learn a lot of what we've been taught, a lot of silly mistakes and minor slip ups due to lack of practise killed me in the exam.

Retaking the year I did significantly more work, trying my best to complete homeworks even though not all homeworks where still completed. I however did work this time around but couldnt be bother practising things I thought were basic. For maths I completed the exercises we are normally meant to do in class and the past papers before the exam. The only difference this time was close to the exam I didnt work as hard as I did last year and as a result ended up with the results I got. All my Bs were 78% which was weird but I am currently at A2 aiming for A*AA in Maths, Chem, Bio respectively with an A in FMaths....resitting an extra module.

---------UPDATE--------------

Having now completed my A2s I achieved AAAC in Maths, Chemistry, Biology, General Studies All As (88%)
    With BB at AS in Physics and FMaths.
    From CCCDE to AAACbb. Well done.
    What are you applying for now?

ReputationRep:
    That's through resits so they managed to improve their AS grades seemingly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whydoidothis?)
    From CCCDE to AAACbb. Well done.
    What are you applying for now?
    I'm in my first year studying Medicine

ReputationRep:
    Hey what if I get for example 4Cs in AS, then get predicted BBC in a2 and apply to a uni. But as some exams are now linear, I get A* A A , can I change my uni I don't get it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    So in a way, people who get poor grades get them due to their lack of work?
    Well what else could it be?

That's not a surprising or new revelation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azim101)
    Hey what if I get for example 4Cs in AS, then get predicted BBC in a2 and apply to a uni. But as some exams are now linear, I get A* A A , can I change my uni I don't get it
    It's called adjustment. https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu...etter-expected

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot man haha that one link cleared everything up

ReputationRep:
    Right about now I just did a mock exam that I believe didn't go to well. I feel as if though all the content is there however there are just minor gaps missing .Considering this is AS I see how they target these minor areas to make sure that the individual understands the concept behind their work

ReputationRep:
    Can someone clear a biggg question for me im doing CIE exam board A levels. and im rly confused as to how people can go from Bs and Cs to A*/As and Bs? isnt AS grades 50 % of ur final grade?? so even if u do well in A2 ur overall mark would be lower?? someone pls clear this out for me maybe other exam boards r different i dont know haha.

ReputationRep:
    A Levels for 2015/16 and onwards have changed now. Unlike before, your AS grade no longer contributes 50% to your final grade at the end of the two years because most subjects are linear now (apart from modular ones like Maths, Law, etc). So basically, if you get a D at AS then it'll still be possible to get a B or an A at A2 (with a lot of hard work, of course).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.