The Student Room Group

illusionz' ICF blog

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ljoshl91
How come you're on DB press mate?

Also what do you think of facepulls I've never done them before. I swear I have no rear delt mass at all lol

I just don't like BB OHP as a movement. I find I can't stop myself leaning back more than I feel is sensible. Prefer seated with DBs. Very weak at the moment now though due to hardly training a shoulder press movement for about 3 months. Hopefully will get back to 28-30s soon.

I like facepulls, don't do them as much as I should tbh due to cable machines always being ridiculously busy. My shoulders are noticeably front delt heavy though so I want to round them out. Might give rear delt flyes a shot as DBs are usually easier to come by.
(edited 9 years ago)
Soon illusionz you'll find that DBs are too much of a pain to clean into position. Around the 30kg mark at least!

Strength gains returning it seems :smile:

How come you're on DB press mate?

Also what do you think of facepulls I've never done them before. I swear I have no rear delt mass at all lol

Facepulls are awesome. Really help shoulder stability.

Rear felt flies either face down on a bench or bent with your torso parallel to floor are also great.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can't train tomorrow or sat so trained today. Probably not ideal as yesterday was quite hard work but meh. Reasonable stuff regardless.

Incline bench
20*10
40*8
50*8
60*5
70*1
72.5*5,5,4,3 meh
67.5*4

Deadlift
DOH
60*10
100*5
120*5
140*5
160*f didn't lockout before would have dropped it

Mixed
160*3
170*1
180*3,2. Ripped off scab from my shin so stopped. Would have had 3 no problem.
Was hoping for 180*5 but I think still tired from yesterday. Think I have 180*5 in me fresh. Might do 5 reps LP starting from 170 next session. Increase 2.5 or 5kg depending on how fast I regain strength. Going from 180 is just asking to stall I think.

BB rows
60*10
80*5,5,5

Chins

Curls and triceps.

Counted 9 blisters on hands after training. The return to deadlift.
Original post by Angry cucumber
Soon illusionz you'll find that DBs are too much of a pain to clean into position. Around the 30kg mark at least!

Strength gains returning it seems :smile:

Facepulls are awesome. Really help shoulder stability.

Rear felt flies either face down on a bench or bent with your torso parallel to floor are also great.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've done sets of 5 on 30s before, not too bad getting them up. Just kick with knees. Much harder pressing them at least :P
Good idea on deadlift. Lp from 170 can help keep your form stricter as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Squat
60*8,8
100*5
120*5
130*5 felt awesome. Moved up.
140*5
145*5
150*4. Could probably have had a 5th but didn't want to risk a fail. So happy with this. Haven't done 3 plates+ for reps in too long (definitely early December, don't think I've done 150 since Nov). Gains returning.

Standing press (benches in use.)
20*10
30*5
40*5
45*5
50*5
45*5,5
This hurts my left front delt a bit - I hurt it semi dropping a db from overhead 2 weeks ago. Still kinda sore. I hope it's just muscular as heard a nasty crunching noise when it happened. My shoulder joint feels fine squatting and only pain feels like muscle.

Bent over row
60*10
80*5,5,5,6,5
Random 6 because why not?

Chins
Moved because class started in the place with the bars

Chin up grip pull downs
82*5,5,5

Triceps, facepulls and biceps.

Good session, happy. Rows and squats felt v strong. Only annoyance was curling the bar into my teeth and cutting my lip. Need a gumshield for lifting evidently...
Incline bench
20*15
40*10
50*8
60*5
72.5*5,5,5,5,5 5*5 PB

Deadlifts
DOH
60*10
100*5
140*3
160*1
165*f

Mixed
165*1
170*10 10RM PB
Plan was 170*5 but felt so strong did 10 instead. I'm back boys. Bring on the gains.

Barbell row
60*10
85*5 too heavy but couldn't find 1.25 plates
80*5,5,5,5

Chin grip pull downs
87*8,7,5,5,5

BW dips

Very happy with bench and deadlift PBs
Failed 165 and then hit 170 for 10? Wut??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
Failed 165 and then hit 170 for 10? Wut??

Posted from TSR Mobile

165 fail was double overhand grip.
170*10 =gains. Nice doh as well. Only 10kg behind my best.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by illusionz
165 fail was double overhand grip.

Ahh yeah. I should read better..

Herp derp.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Squats
60*10
100*8
120*5
140*5,5,5

3s pause squats
100*5,5

Box jumps x lots

Prowler+90kg
20m x 2

Prowler+100kg
20m, 10m x 4 alternating with friend

Chinups x 6,6,6,6

Gym shut early as Sunday. Didn't have time for more. Legs are dead. First time on prowler, will use it more for sure.
Loving the prowler. I haven't got access to one of those anywhere, only tyre drags at my club back home.

How come you've added those and box jumps in? I would reccomend doing the box jumps at the start of the workout after warming up so you can be as explosive as possible, or inbetween squat warm up sets!
Loving the prowler. I haven't got access to one of those anywhere, only tyre drags at my club back home.

How come you've added those and box jumps in? I would reccomend doing the box jumps at the start of the workout after warming up so you can be as explosive as possible, or inbetween squat warm up sets!

Was training with a guy I met last week who actually knows what he's doing. He suggested trying them. Said he used to compete a few years ago and is pretty damn strong and lean (was doing speed work with 200kg deadlifts) and had a ridiculously high box jump.

Unsure how much I'll do every session but I think one or the other is almost certainly a good idea.
(edited 9 years ago)
Wanted to train today but just finished a rather boozy business lunch. Will see how I feel later on! Might just do light work as out for lunch again tomorrow.
ethanol is used before carbs in metabolism

All kindza energy in beverages of that kind

I expect PBs everywhere
Incline bench
20*20
40*10
50*5
60*3
70*1
75*5,5,5,5,5
5RM PB, 5*5 PB
60*10,10,10

Linear progression going well. Decent volume after too.
I find I'm super strong for the first 2-3 reps while I've got the initial breath and tightness. As soon as I exhale and breathe in again I lose a lot and the last 2 reps become very hard.

Deadlift
60*10
100*5
140*5
160*2
175*5

Rows
60*10
80*5,5,6,6,6

Chin up grip pull downs
89*7,6,6,5

DB French press
32*10,9,7
Took some measurements for the lols

Chest (under armpits) 43 in (45.5 in flexed lats)
Waist 34 in
Arms 14 in (feelsbadman)
Thigh 25 in

Still not fat at all, can see ribs and top abs when tensed.

Perhaps I need an arm day... or at least more direct arm work. Not sure on weight as eaten a massive dinner.
Original post by illusionz
Took some measurements for the lols

Chest (under armpits) 43 in (45.5 in flexed lats)
Waist 34 in
Arms 14 in (feelsbadman)
Thigh 25 in

Still not fat at all, can see ribs and top abs when tensed.

Perhaps I need an arm day... or at least more direct arm work. Not sure on weight as eaten a massive dinner.

Always thought your owns were in the 15s for some reason. Dunno where I got that from then...

Relative to me you are

+2" chest
+4" waist
-0.2" arms
+2" thighs

Which surprises me as I always thought I had small arms relative to the rest... :biggrin:

EDIT:

Also, incline bp tomorrow...I'd better set a new PB or I fear I'll be left in the dust! :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
CGBP and do the curls stuff I did at the end of every other session (see my blog)

You should be fine with CGBP, if I can do it pain free in shoulder and elbows with my body, you can with yours :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest