Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel Economics Unit 4 Global Economy Discussion Thread (10.June.2014) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    those who did question 3, what did you write for part a????

ReputationRep:
    did anyone else do the one on agriculture subsidies and something else? i forgot the question already cos i ran out of time and didn't even get to check..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedDevil014)
    Any ideas what the grade boundaries might be? Seemed like a harder paper than June '13.
    I dont know it was more difficult because June 13 had the very difficult section A. Maybe similar?

ReputationRep:
    What country did people use for Q1 section a?

(Original post by Fullycorporate)
    I dont know it was more difficult because June 13 had the very difficult section A. Maybe similar?
    This paper definitely had a tougher section b though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dilzo999)
    I just drew an AD/LRAS diagram. I basically just compared the countries and why the predictions could be like that. Did it in about 2 minutes after coming back to it.
    I did the same, I'm guessing the diagram is worth 4 and I put a couple of application points, so I hope I got 6 of the 8 because I failed to analyse it properly
    . Wat were Ur influences to unit labour costs

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It was a tricky paper but I felt it went decent. Probably backfire saying that. Q3 was nice. Think I slightly messed up 20 marker but 30 marker was ace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juseejay)
    Thank god.. I completely drew a blank in evaluation for 10..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Did Q1 and Q5, Q1 was calm and easy. Q5 on the otherhand a fall in motivation and ambiguous questions I've probably lost quite a few marks. Although the 12 and 15 marker were fine the 8 and 10 marker were dodgy.
    what did you wirte for the 12 and 15 marker?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juseejay)
    I did the same, I'm guessing the diagram is worth 4 and I put a couple of application points, so I hope I got 6 of the 8 because I failed to analyse it properly
    . Wat were Ur influences to unit labour costs

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Can't remember what I put down, I said human capital and I think NWM :confused:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 44289)
    those who did question 3, what did you write for part a????
    Did 2 points of how economic development is dependent on economic growth. Then evaluated with other ways of promoting economic development e.g. aid, debt cancellation, micro finance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullycorporate)
    Haha yeah, I guess it was similar, I'm just biased. Really hope the grade boundaries are slightly lower though.

ReputationRep:
    Hard paper I believe, but I still think I managed it quite well.

Did Q3 and Q5.

3a was a bit unexpected and not that easy to structure into 3 KAA and 2 EV so dont know how I did on that. I looked at demand side econ growth and supply side and looked at HDI components, saying that growth did a lot to increase GDP per capita but demand side growth does not contribute signficantly to other factors(health, education) then i said as evaluation that growth can also cause inequality, hence not improving development, suggesting that development is not always a direct cause of growth but my end argument was that growth does quite a lot to push development, hence I agreed with the question.

3b was very nice, used 4 factors and then evaluated well I think.

Question 5 was really hard I found. Why were so unspecific on the 8marker. "Comment on" ? Come on, at least say causes or what we have to comment on exactly. I basically said that GDP did grow differently due to competitiveness reason, put in data and some evaluation, but that was weird.

Than c with unit costs I put minimum wage and immigration policy. Like less strict immigration policy so no cheap labour immigrating, so higher labour costs, dont know fi this is valid though.

for d I looked at Greece with defecit and then Germany as an example with surplus and commented on benefits of balancing, for Greece to push econ growth as export growth is strengthened and for Germany that to prevent inflation as too much export demand increases price level

for e I was clueless for 5 minutes or something, then i put minimum wage, extra bonuses from government for hard work, and quickly mentioned hiring and firing from the extract. But this is not going to be that good I think

My problem was that for the questions I always put own factors and didnt even read the extract until the end Only used application marks through figures...

I hope this is still an A* though, I think u could lose up to 20-25 marks to still get 108UMS as it was quite a difficult paper. So fingers crossed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexovic)
    Did 2 points of how economic development is dependent on economic growth. Then evaluated with other ways of promoting economic development e.g. aid, debt cancellation, micro finance.
    im not to sure but i think they were looking for you to go down the line og HDI and then use GDP per capitar , education, mortality rates

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexovic)
    It was a tricky paper but I felt it went decent. Probably backfire saying that. Q3 was nice. Think I slightly messed up 20 marker but 30 marker was ace.
    How did you go about answering the 30 marker? Was savings gap your analysis and other constraints your evaluation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitney_luxie)
    did anyone else do the one on agriculture subsidies and something else? i forgot the question already cos i ran out of time and didn't even get to check..
    I did question 2.. and I was the only one in my whole year to choose that question! It was something along the lines of assessing factors that cause a change in the pattern of trade; with part b being to do with how EU and US agricultural subsidies affect the global economy. I dun goofed on part a but think I redeemed it on part B. Question 4 (the Russian one) was a piece of cake so I'm hoping it will make up for lost marks in section A.

ReputationRep:
    I did question 1 and 5
    5 was so weird! Worst 8 and 10 markers. Even my 15 marker was sloppy
    For the diagram I did the j curve effect God knows what I wrote but I justified it
    Really hope I got an A* but I'll be content with an overall A

ReputationRep:
    Can't remember what I put down, I said human capital and I think NWM :confused:.
    also put NMW do you think you also use it for the 15m as a labour regulation factor to increase growth?

ReputationRep:
    did anyone else do question 1? only i didn't mention a specific country in my part b and feel that i may have misread the question? did it say 'with reference to a country of your choice' I implicitly mentioned labours proposals to increase the high rate of tax but im not sure that may be enough. Just a little concerned as it may mean that i have been capped on that question. Any help would be very much appreciated only im a little concerned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHenri)
    Hard paper I believe, but I still think I managed it quite well.

Did Q3 and Q5.

3a was a bit unexpected and not that easy to structure into 3 KAA and 2 EV so dont know how I did on that. I looked at demand side econ growth and supply side and looked at HDI components, saying that growth did a lot to increase GDP per capita but demand side growth does not contribute signficantly to other factors(health, education) then i said as evaluation that growth can also cause inequality, hence not improving development, suggesting that development is not always a direct cause of growth but my end argument was that growth does quite a lot to push development, hence I agreed with the question.

3b was very nice, used 4 factors and then evaluated well I think.

Question 5 was really hard I found. Why were so unspecific on the 8marker. "Comment on" ? Come on, at least say causes or what we have to comment on exactly. I basically said that GDP did grow differently due to competitiveness reason, put in data and some evaluation, but that was weird.

Than c with unit costs I put minimum wage and immigration policy. Like less strict immigration policy so no cheap labour immigrating, so higher labour costs, dont know fi this is valid though.

for d I looked at Greece with defecit and then Germany as an example with surplus and commented on benefits of balancing, for Greece to push econ growth as export growth is strengthened and for Germany that to prevent inflation as too much export demand increases price level

for e I was clueless for 5 minutes or something, then i put minimum wage, extra bonuses from government for hard work, and quickly mentioned hiring and firing from the extract. But this is not going to be that good I think

My problem was that for the questions I always put own factors and didnt even read the extract until the end Only used application marks through figures...

I hope this is still an A* though, I think u could lose up to 20-25 marks to still get 108UMS as it was quite a difficult paper. So fingers crossed.
    Think I might have misread 5D. I put reasons for why Greece's deficit had fallen and why Germany's surplus had fallen.

ReputationRep:
    I was good for time, finished section a just shy of an hour and had another hour for section b. Managed to finish everything go back to section a and add a bit more to the 30 marker . Did you do Q1? What points did you use?
    Wow that's great! My time management wasn't as good as that Yeah Greece bailout, UK- austerity after 09, UK- fiscal drag. You?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    Guys, I did 5 evaluation points for the 30 marker, do they only consider top 3?
    ye

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.