Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peggles_*)
    Not just kiddies on an internet forum though, a lot of gooners don't rate him anymore.
    What's 'a lot'? 30%? 40%? 50%? 60%? 70%?

I wasn't aware there was a poll asking fans whether they still rate AW.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    What's 'a lot'? 30%? 40%? 50%? 60%? 70%?

I wasn't aware there was a poll asking fans whether they still rate AW.

40% Which is unthinkable, when you think those who were doubting him a few years ago were laughed at.

Sadly it seems the majority still want him in the job! :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Race for 4th is going to be so exciting!

Mish!!! You there?! Mishhh

ReputationRep:
    Lol Zerforax is parring it to new levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    Lol Liverpool fans think they can play Expansive football in the UCL, they will get piped I just can't wait for next season. When they lose all their matches and start crying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We rarely ever roll over in the CL. Even when we've had poor teams we've pushed it and even won the thing, this isn't Man City.

ReputationRep:
    40% Which is unthinkable, when you think those who were doubting him a few years ago were laughed at.
    Where'd you get 40% from?

Sadly it seems the majority still want him in the job! :sad:
    Who would you replace him with?

ReputationRep:
    If there's a guy who can get you guys past that 2nd to last hurdle. Wenger is the man.

ReputationRep:
    Where'd you get 40% from?

Who would you replace him with?
    Just my personal guage really, from people I talk to at games, the general atmosphere, and the animosity between WOB & AKB has properly been the most I've seen it. Of course I could be massively wrong and it be something like 90 in, 10 out but I personally don't think it is that one sided. I do know a lot of people on here, still love him like he's the second coming of Jesus, fair enough, but I'm not one of them.

I'd go for Klopp but he won't be going anywhere soon, Martinez, Simeone, Jorge Jesus, De Boer would all be on my shortlist.

ReputationRep:
    You got Suarez didn't you? And he left a CL club to join you when you were missing out, This idea that CL football is necessary to attract top top top players is a myth as far as I'm concerned, we've been in it year in year out since our move to the Emirates and out of all the players we've signed, the majority have been the ilk of Chamakh rather than Ozil. Yes the stadium has been a factor but I look at your team and the likes of Suarez and Sturridge didn't go for crazy money when you initially bought them, well within our transfer bracket.
    It's not a myth at all. We got Suarez because he was a liability for everyone (world cup antics, disciplinary record, he was at that point serving a 4 month ban for biting someone) and because big money imports from the Dutch league are always frowned upon (Afonso Alaves sent Boro down, Kezman, Babel, De Jong etc). Liverpool really, really, really suffered last summer when we didn't have CL football - we were looking for a marquee players, and all three of Mkhitaryan, Costa (before he exploded!) and Willian turned us down because we didn't have CL football and weren't much of a draw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    If there's a guy who can get you guys past that 2nd to last hurdle. Wenger is the man.
    Really wondering who he will buy tbh, he is so unpredictable. I have learnt that his judgment in the transfer market is largely right (with a few errors here and there, mainly in recent years at left back) to be honest.

£8m for the BFG
    £8.45m for Bosscielny

That in itself speaks volumes about the man's skill in the transfer market and coaching the players to fit the team. To think, we could have ended up with the likes of Fellatio and Diame if Wenger listened to the suggestions fans were making in desperation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Yeah, then to only finish just shy of the finish line and come 4th in the most dramatic manner ever!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matchdayG)
    It's not a myth at all. We got Suarez because he was a liability for everyone (world cup antics, disciplinary record, he was at that point serving a 4 month ban for biting someone) and because big money imports from the Dutch league are always frowned upon (Afonso Alaves sent Boro down, Kezman, Babel, De Jong etc). Liverpool really, really, really suffered last summer when we didn't have CL football - we were looking for a marquee players, and all three of Mkhitaryan, Costa (before he exploded!) and Willian turned us down because we didn't have CL football and weren't much of a draw.
    Good point, the signings you were in for were top players.

ReputationRep:
    Zurich mate, just a little request.

Every time someone disrespects Wenger when I'm not around, you bang out 'Wenger got us a new stadium'.

For once in your life, could you elaborate on this please? Explain how Wenger's net spend directly contributed to you building a new stadium. If you don't want to give a detailed answer (which I'd much prefer you did, so you can clarify this for all of us), then at least answer the following two questions:

-Arsenal is a club with massive commercial revenue, and is in good financial health. If loans of say £20m for spending on players were taken out every summer, would Arsenal not have been able to pay these back in good time, maybe not had quite as large cash reserves right now, but obviously had a much better and more successful team? Madrid have debts of 500m euros largely off player spending but no-one doubts their financial health.

-What I don't understand now is that here we are, 8 years on from your stadium being built, you have cash reserves of £150m+ or whatever it is, surely these reserves have taken years to build up? Why have they not been spent and aided the development of the team? Is this not Wenger's fault?

But I'd much prefer you gave a detailed explanation, or at least linked to a site that would explain this financial 'miracle' of Wenger's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miel Purple)
    Race for 4th is going to be so exciting!

Mish!!! You there?! Mishhh
    she moved on, she's on bodybuilding.com now

ReputationRep:
    Just my personal guage really, from people I talk to at games, the general atmosphere, and the animosity between WOB & AKB has properly been the most I've seen it. Of course I could be massively wrong and it be something like 90 in, 10 out but I personally don't think it is that one sided. I do know a lot of people on here, still love him like he's the second coming of Jesus, fair enough, but I'm not one of them.
    Fair play to you and other Arsenal fans for admitting it, but I was saying this to you in the direct aftermath of your defeat by us. It took the 6-0 and 3-0 to aware you to the truth.

ReputationRep:
    So, with respect, you pulled the 40% figure from your arse.

I'd go for Klopp but he won't be going anywhere soon, Martinez, Simeone, Jorge Jesus, De Boer would all be on my shortlist.
    Martinez humped us 3-0 at Goodison and has a challenge in getting Everton into the CL - there's no way he's jumping ship.

Simeone is doing great things with Atleti - 1st in La Liga, SF CL - and is contracted until 2017 - why would he leave?

I'm not a fan of Jorge Jesus in the slightest.

De Boer/Bergkamp is my preference and seems like the most realistic option.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, I understand your viewpoint but I personally meant it in regards to it being a necessity for ARSENAL to have CL in order to attract as Arsene calls the 'top, top, top quaility' players because other that Ozil, we haven't. Poldolski was going down into the Bundesliga 2 and so would have joined regardless, especially when the only other club that was seriously interested was Lazio, Malaga needed the money and we were heavily linked with Santi the season before (I think!) he went to Malaga so was a continuation of that interest, and Giroud, that's the French league with French Ligue 1 defenders! I could probably get close to the numbers he has that season!! And when you include the trolley dashes we've had for the likes of Arteta, Mertesacker, Santos, Park and co, none would be regarded as world class players. I really hope the signing of Mesut is a changing of the tide, but as we look likely to finish 4th (again) it will make signing players of his calibre difficult.

ReputationRep:
    she moved on, she's on bodybuilding.com now
    don't speak foul of her in her absence...

ReputationRep:
    Madrid have debts of 500m euros largely off player spending but no-one doubts their financial health.
    When your club is bankrolled by the Spanish government, which is bailed out by the European Union, it's become 'too big to fail' - this isn't financially healthy in the slightest and it's only a matter of time before Real get slapped by policymakers in Brussels because of their ridiculous transfer spending policy, whereby it's become the norm for their club to have record transfer fees whilst twenty-five per cent of Spain is unemployed and fifty per cent of people under the age of twenty-five are unemployed.

ReputationRep:
    So, with respect, you pulled the 40% figure from your arse.
    Well yes, yes I did! But my point is, is that the none believers as out there and more of them are appearing!!

Martinez humped us 3-0 at Goodison and has a challenge in getting Everton into the CL - there's no way he's jumping ship.

Simeone is doing great things with Atleti - 1st in La Liga, SF CL - and is contracted until 2017 - why would he leave?

I'm not a fan of Jorge Jesus in the slightest.

De Boer/Bergkamp is my preference and seems like the most realistic option.
    If they miss out on CL, and all his loanee's go to their parent clubs, he's back to square one, him with all those on my list, the possible transfer kitty of £100m is one that may be inticing.

New challenge maybe? He's already been there for 3 years, granted he's on the cusp of eclipsing what he's done previous at Atleti but one can hope!

Led Benfica to their first title since 2009/10, Europa league finalists last year with the chance of doing it again, and simply because of the score line gesture he did to Sherwood!

I just want Dennis back at the club in some role really!! DB & DB :coma:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 9, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.