Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What salary are you realistically expecting to earn? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YoungAdviser)
    Lawyered.

Literally.
    Not quite, I have no intention of being a solicitor, at least not right now!

ReputationRep:
    Academia, so anything between £30,000-£60,000. That's looking increasingly unlikely though.

ReputationRep:
    £7 an hour would be fantastic

ReputationRep:
    Probably about £40k

Edit: I want to work as a medical researcher in academia so it'll probably start lower than £40k and hopefully end up higher.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futbol)
    £7 an hour would be fantastic
    You don't need a degree to earn that.. I earn that as a part time sales advisor at a Three phone shop, I'm in my last year of secondary school S6 (year 13)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matty.W)
    According to statistics the majority of salaries being quoted here lie somewhere near the top 10%. So either 9 out of 10 are lying or are just overly ambitious and will never reach their intended salary, OR this thread has attracted only egotistical big shots who love to talk about their salaries. I'm imagining in the majority of cases it's the first.

Personally I've got an offer of 27K as a starting graduate up north, however my final year is just beginning so I'm still applying around for graduate schemes. That might see that figure rise by 3-8k depending on if I move down south. I'd be very happy if I got above 50K in my 20s (I'm 21 now), not to say I will or I won't. A more short term target would be to break 40K before I'm 25.
    Well I think 27k for a starting graduate salary is awesome

ReputationRep:
    I think I will be happy to be on around 17k when I graduate from university and hopefully earn up to 30k maybe. I don't know whether a chemistry degree can lead to a lot of money tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haseebi82)
    Well I think 27k for a starting graduate salary is awesome
    Thank you! It's looking increasingly likely I'll get an offer from a London start up firm where the salary is 35-40k (including bonus and basic) so I may take that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobby2)
    I think I will be happy to be on around 17k when I graduate from university and hopefully earn up to 30k maybe. I don't know whether a chemistry degree can lead to a lot of money tbh
    Well I was on 15k during my degree's placement year, 28k on graduation and by 30 I'm on 50k.

Depends what chemistry degree you have and what you go into.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Well I was on 15k during my degree's placement year, 28k on graduation and by 30 I'm on 50k.

Depends what chemistry degree you have and what you go into.
    Where do you work, if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    I'm aiming for 27-30k , I've set my sights on working with the MI5 straight out of uni.

ReputationRep:
    I FINK ILL B ON ABOUT 250K. WOT U SAYING.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qr95)
    i fink ill b on about 250k. Wot u saying.

posted from tsr mobile
    gud 4 u. Fink i wil be on about de same truth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krek)
    I'm aiming for 27-30k , I've set my sights on working with the MI5 straight out of uni.
    The discretion is strong in this one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krek)
    Helpful MI5 recruitment tip - stop telling people you intend to work for MI5.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    You don't need a degree to earn that.. I earn that as a part time sales advisor at a Three phone shop, I'm in my last year of secondary school S6 (year 13)
    It's called irony. I hope you're not doing an English degree...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futbol)
    It's called irony. I hope you're not doing an English degree...
    Sorry man; it's hard to tell over the internet.

Same thing applies to sarcasm - you really need that extra visual/audio info.

ReputationRep:
    After tax probably about 26K pa but if Scotland goes independent then I don't even know what will be left after tax. I'd like to earn above 25K a year anyways

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWaffle)
    gud 4 u. Fink i wil be on about de same truth
    Wat can I say thug lyf chose me.

ReputationRep:
    About 95k a year

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.