Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I think u should make a fourm about schedules and planners :unimpressed::ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lfc1998)
    Yes! Then we can all share our planners and organisers and nerd out happily!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've never really gotten much in the way of careers advice - we got a 20 minute session with the careers advisor in groups of 3 or 4, which was just a bit awkward for the majority of people who ended up with people they weren't really mates with. There was no real 'advising' happening - an awkward ice breaking game, followed by her showing us the national careers service site, and then being told that we could schedule an appointment with her anytime (although I have no idea how haha)

Are careers tests things really that useful? Wouldn't most people prefer to do something that they enjoy and that appeals to them than what a test says they're best suited to? :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evekip)
    I've never really gotten much in the way of careers advice - we got a 20 minute session with the careers advisor in groups of 3 or 4, which was just a bit awkward for the majority of people who ended up with people they weren't really mates with. There was no real 'advising' happening - an awkward ice breaking game, followed by her showing us the national careers service site, and then being told that we could schedule an appointment with her anytime (although I have no idea how haha)

Are careers tests things really that useful? Wouldn't most people prefer to do something that they enjoy and that appeals to them than what a test says they're best suited to? :P
    We have 1-to-1 careers interviews when we get back. *shudders*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evekip)

:s sounds fun :cool:

I don't think so, I think people who know what they want to do will do it anyway, and people who don't will find something they do enjoy in the end, even if it takes a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martie08)
    We have 1-to-1 careers interviews when we get back. *shudders*
    Last year we got 1-1 'chats' about our GCSE options and if we have any ideas about careers we want to do, and this year we get the same but with more emphasis on careers & also about our A-Level choices, woo...
    Do you know what you want to do with your life? or A-Levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nox1)
    Last year we got 1-1 'chats' about our GCSE options and if we have any ideas about careers we want to do, and this year we get the same but with more emphasis on careers & also about our A-Level choices, woo...
    Do you know what you want to do with your life? or A-Levels?
    I'd love to study languages - or at the very least study abroad. Besides that, I'm clueless xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SampleX)
    I'd love to study languages - or at the very least study abroad. Besides that, I'm clueless xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Studying abroad in a language you did at A-Level would be so cool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nox1)
    Studying abroad in a language you did at A-Level would be so cool
    I know What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slothgenius)
    omg hahah Going to Northwich actually to be precise! not quite sure.. I think Altrincham is my first choice.. Others would be the grange school, etc.. but I don't really know which places are good!
    Oh right. I'm near Chester. I have a friend that goes to Grange but he's in the year below and I haven't really talked to him that much about school. Tbh all I know about Grange is how their rowing team is doing (not that well) haha

ReputationRep:
    I know What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm going to take chemistry, biology and maths to A2, and History to AS.
    I'm then planning on studying veterinary medicine at university (hopefully Liverpool, but maybe Nottingham)!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nox1)
    I'm going to take chemistry, biology and maths to A2, and History to AS.
    I'm then planning on studying veterinary medicine at university (hopefully Liverpool, but maybe Nottingham)!
    Cool! I really enjoy chemistry and maths, but there are so many subjects that I like and only four A level choices D:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    We haven't had any sort of careers advice yet in our school. There is an advisor but nobody knows where or when to meet her... I wish they could give me some tips, I have no clue what I want to do with my life... although I might study Japanese at uni, which will be made easier as I'm intending to do Chinese to A Level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steliata)
    We haven't had any sort of careers advice yet in our school. There is an advisor but nobody knows where or when to meet her... I wish they could give me some tips, I have no clue what I want to do with my life... although I might study Japanese at uni, which will be made easier as I'm intending to do Chinese to A Level.
    :O I wish we were given the option of Chinese!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    :O I wish we were given the option of Chinese!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We're the first year to be able to do it. It's really nice because our teacher's awesome (we've gone from practically illiterate to Bs and beyond) and it's only a class of ten as you had to be in top set languages to be considered for it.

ReputationRep:
    We're the first year to be able to do it. It's really nice because our teacher's awesome (we've gone from practically illiterate to Bs and beyond) and it's only a class of ten as you had to be in top set languages to be considered for it.
    That's awesome Do you do any other languages?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's awesome Do you do any other languages?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't, no. I dropped French at GCSE because I'd asked around and people who'd taken it said that the teachers were just coaching them through the exams, not teaching them the language. Chinese was a bit of a gamble to be honest as the teacher was new this year but it's worked out well

I would like to learn German at some point though. I went on a scout jamboree there this year and came back totally in love with the country...

ReputationRep:
    I don't, no. I dropped French at GCSE because I'd asked around and people who'd taken it said that the teachers were just coaching them through the exams, not teaching them the language. Chinese was a bit of a gamble to be honest as the teacher was new this year but it's worked out well

I would like to learn German at some point though. I went on a scout jamboree there this year and came back totally in love with the country...
    Germany IS a lovely country

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Lfc1998)

Yes! Then we can all share our planners and organisers and nerd out happily!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :teehee: :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr...)
    :teehee: :ahee:
    Organisation fetish is the best thing ever. xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.