Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elhm1800)
    I meant rational thought to those who believe in a religion not those islamists.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Religion is not rational.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hasan6091)
    Maybe, but look at where the dust comes from, where is the blood?
    Bullet fragment when they pass through people and it just hit concrete

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Religion is not rational.
    Well thats quite subjective isnt...and judgmental

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well thats quite subjective isnt...and judgmental

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes it it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
    and now you know why I did a history degree

Shoulda dealt with Hitler before he became a problem :fuhrer: :lockstock:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhJustSomeGuy)
    Bullet fragment when they pass through people and it just hit concrete
    There are alot of irregularities with the video,

ReputationRep:
    Yes it it.
    With that attitude how on earth do you debate with people who are religious?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Look multiple islamic scholoars the ones that are not crazy like anjem choudari have come out and condemmed this action just like any terrorist attacks. Anyone that does a terrorist attack puts them outside the boundaries of islam no matter how much they should gods name or quote the quran they are out just like with any other religion. If you want to see the true islam stay away from the media and go meet a real muslim. Infact i challenge you to go do that
    Would you rather we talked about facts?

Muslims make up 23.2% of the worlds population. 66% of all terrorist attacks can be attributed to 4 Islamic extremist groups.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/data...?commentpage=1

ReputationRep:
    With that attitude how on earth do you debate with people who are religious?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I try not to debate with religious people about religion. It is pointless, they will not change their stance even if they are presented with irrefutable evidence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarryBarney)
    And leave our religion alone.
    If you mean by that that nobody should criticise your religion, point out its illogicality, its roots in the political desires of a mediaeval warlord, its dependence on the "interpretations" of certain people but not others, then no. This applies to other religions, of course, as they all have ancient or mediaeval superstitious roots.

And that is where Charlie Hebdo came into it in the first place - satirising, in a humorous way, the fantastical claims and ravings of the religious. In a hundred years religions will no longer be mainstream beliefs, especially in the west; they will succumb to the onward march of education and knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meenglishnogood)
    i have met many thanks and i woulndt regard any of them as terrorists. however that doesnt mean they would automatically disagree with these attackers actuall ideologies,. therin lies the crux of the problem, not jsut here but everywhere. the high profile muslim leaders condem their actions, but not their reasoning or ideology, which is the cause of their actions. simply declaring every muslim that commits a sin is not in part of islam anymore is idiotic, and doesnt tackle the problem
    I think you’re on to something here. Anybody in their right mind would condemn these actions. If you don’t condemn them, then you believe that if you don’t like something, or you’re offended by something, simply shoot the perpetrator(s).

However, I’m sick to death of hearing the media gloss over the real issues here. Pursue today’s papers. Apparently, the gunmen wanted to ‘drive a wedge’ between Islam and the West. They want to protest about French foreign policy.

They did not. In the name of Islam, gunmen carried out what they (and a fairly large minority) believe the correct of interpretation of Islamic blasphemy laws to be, in the heart of a European capital.

‘The Prophet’s been avenged’

So that pretty much debunks the ‘it has nothing to do with Islam’ line trotted out by pretty much every leader and figurehead. Unfortunately, it has everything to do with Islam. They didn’t try to kill as many Westerners as possible. They didn’t try to go out in a ‘blaze of glory’. They clinically gunned down those who offended their faith, exercising their right to free speech.

The more this is glossed over, the further away we get from solving this problem and for that reason, I’m bitterly disappointed with the British press today.

Without infringing their right to free speech, to publish what they want, imagine if Teresa May held a meeting with the Editors of our major news outlets. Imagine if she told them if they wanted to publish Charlie Hebdo cartoons the security services, government and country would work to ensure their safety and stand behind them.

What a statement it would have been for every media outlet in the UK to join together and print Charlie Hebdo cartoons on their front page today. Forget the pictures of a Policeman about to be gunned down; a selection of Hebdo cartoons, lampooning all – right wing, left wing, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, etc.

We should print these cartoons to re-assert our right to free speech. Our right to critique, hold to account and lampoon all in our society. We can do it to other religions, to politicians, to public figures. Why not Islam?

Instead, nothing - we simply see pictures of a Policeman about to be killed and comment pieces warning about the possible ‘Rise of Islamophobia’. By not printing these cartoons, our free press is abiding by this law of blasphemy. I'm not comfortable with that.

Je suis Charlie.

ReputationRep:
    I try not to debate with religious people about religion. It is pointless, they will not change their stance even if they are presented with irrefutable evidence.
    I take it you're an atheist:holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I take it you're an atheist:holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.
    Ok bro, your points are fair enough...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ok bro, your points are fair enough...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We had a good debate. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Would you rather we talked about facts?

Muslims make up 23.2% of the worlds population. 66% of all terrorist attacks can be attributed to 4 Islamic extremist groups. I think he is more reliable than a tabloid

http://www.theguardian.com/news/data...?commentpage=1
    . Professer robert pape who studied every case of suicide attacks between 1989 and 2005. 315 cases and he concluded that there is little link between islam or any religion and suicide bombing. Instead the only link is that they all have is a strategic and secular goal to withdraw forces from land they consider they own.

ReputationRep:
    We had a good debate. Thank you.
    :ditto:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    . Professer robert pape who studied every case of suicide attacks between 1989 and 2005. 315 cases and he concluded that there is little link between islam or any religion and suicide bombing. Instead the only link is that they all have is a strategic and secular goal to withdraw forces from land they consider they own.
    And after 2005? This report is solely based on attacks in 2013

Did you even read it?

ReputationRep:
    And after 2005? This report is solely based on attacks in 2013

Did you even read it?
    Comparatively speaking, the Islamic 'terrorists' are much tamer than the 'Christian' or 'Jewish' terrorists, who have killed and terrorized more people than the 'Islamic terrorists' ever wil

ReputationRep:
    CNN:

New York Daily:

So brave.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.