Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captivated)
    Yes
    Internal validity is basically 'does the research actually test what it intends to?' so essentially, are there any cofounding variables that are affecting the results?

External validity is basically the extent to which the findings of a study can be generalised to a wider population e.g. if it's a massive sample size, then you have high external validity.

ok thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k.bryan4)
    Do we need to know what internal and external validity is?
    Yes, 100%.

Internal validity is whether the study actually measures what it states to measure. For example, due to evaluation apprehension of mothers in the strange situation, the results may have been confounded by participant effects reducing the internal validity of the findings.

External validity is whether the study can be generalised to other people. For example, cultural validity is whether the same can be applied to other cultures (strange situation in other cultures ala Van Ijzendoorn and Kroonenberg), ecological validity is whether the experiment can be applied to real life situations (Loftus' EWT research does not reflect real life EWT as it is conducted in an artificial laboratory environment and does not induce stress, anxiety or emotion like a real EWT would, however this induces problems with ethics) and population validity concerns whether findings can be applied to the whole of the same culture (Loftus and Palmer used 45 American students for their misleading information study, there is therefore a struggle in applying findings to say lower-middle class people and the elderly). There are a couple of others needed at A2 as well such as historical validity but I wouldn't worry too much about them at AS. Just focus on those three types of external validity and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dw1996)
    Yes, 100%.

Internal validity is whether the study actually measures what it states to measure. For example, due to evaluation apprehension of mothers in the strange situation, the results may have been confounded by participant effects reducing the internal validity of the findings.

External validity is whether the study can be generalised to other people. For example, cultural validity is whether the same can be applied to other cultures (strange situation in other cultures ala Van Ijzendoorn and Kroonenberg), ecological validity is whether the experiment can be applied to real life situations (Loftus' EWT research does not reflect real life EWT as it is conducted in an artificial laboratory environment and does not induce stress, anxiety or emotion like a real EWT would, however this induces problems with ethics) and population validity concerns whether findings can be applied to the whole of the same culture (Loftus and Palmer used 45 American students for their misleading information study, there is therefore a struggle in applying findings to say lower-middle class people and the elderly). There are a couple of others needed at A2 as well such as historical validity but I wouldn't worry too much about them at AS. Just focus on those three types of external validity and you'll be fine.

Thank you so much, I'm guessing these are only used for A02, rather than a research methods question asking about the definition? So as long as I understand, for example, Schaffer and Emerson's study on the 60 infants from a working class area in Glasgow has high ecological validity because they were observed in their own home, I will be ok?

I haven't been taught the majority of this, the evaluation in A02 seem very easy and the mark scheme never specifies that we have to state what kind of validity it holds, so it should be ok, i'm hoping

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wabbit998)
    detailed AO1 points for Genie please as only get brief notes on it
    If I were you, I'd use Genie as A02 and the studies of Koluchova and Skuse as A01

To use Genie to evaluate them, you could state that the suggestion that privation has serious negative effects in the future has further empirical support as Genie never learnt to speak.

ReputationRep:
    has anybody got an example essay for a 12 marker on day care?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaya sanogo)
    has anybody got an example essay for a 12 marker on day care?
    The effects of it on a child's peer relations or aggression levels?

ReputationRep:
    If I were you, I'd use Genie as A02 and the studies of Koluchova and Skuse as A01

To use Genie to evaluate them, you could state that the suggestion that privation has serious negative effects in the future has further empirical support as Genie never learnt to speak.
    When evaluating Koluchova, can you say it was deprivation instead of privation? Because that's what we were told and I feel as though that's really weak point.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I just mean make sure you've learned about Genie and the Czech twins incase there are questions regarding both privation and institutionalisation - so you have a mixture
    My teacher said you need to learn 2 study's for each topic in full? It's doubtful they will be a question on institution and privation as they are similar?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunDun111)
    My teacher said you need to learn 2 study's for each topic in full? It's doubtful they will be a question on institution and privation as they are similar?
    I'm not sure - I just get paranoid that there might be a little 4/5 marker on both or something

ReputationRep:
    When evaluating Koluchova, can you say it was deprivation instead of privation? Because that's what we were told and I feel as though that's really weak point.
    It's not deprivation though because the twin boys were put into institutional care when their mother died at a young age and then returned to their father and stepmother at 18 months old and they beat, starved and locked them in a cellar until they were found at age 7. Therefore the twin boys never had the opportunity to form an attachment, they didn't lose the attachment which is what deprivation is.

With the genie as A02, that was a very brief description of what I'd write for it.

mark 1: the studies into privation have further empirical support
    mark 2: for example, Curtiss carried out a study on Genie whom experienced privation at an early age. From this, Genie never developed the intellectual ability to learn how to speak. So the suggestion that prication has serious negative effects in the future has wider academic credibility

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theambitiousguru)
    about 1/6 due to the fact it is not detailed, and not accurate, also the spelling is awful
    Its bloody tsr not an exam so relax on the english, if it isnt detailed then tell me what to add because i have covered methodology and findings which re the main aims so i completely disagree with you

ReputationRep:
    It's not deprivation though because the twin boys were put into institutional care when their mother died at a young age and then returned to their father and stepmother at 18 months old and they beat, starved and locked them in a cellar until they were found at age 7. Therefore the twin boys never had the opportunity to form an attachment, they didn't lose the attachment which is what deprivation is.

With the genie as A02, that was a very brief description of what I'd write for it.

mark 1: the studies into privation have further empirical support
    mark 2: for example, Curtiss carried out a study on Genie whom experienced privation at an early age. From this, Genie never developed the intellectual ability to learn how to speak. So the suggestion that prication has serious negative effects in the future has wider academic credibility
    But I've read that the twins, after their mother had died, were cared for by social agency for one year and then a maternal aunt for a further 6 months. THEN they were given to their father and step mother. So I'm just wondering if they had developed the attachment then?

And okay - thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K3lvin)
    Would this be enough for 6/6 for a01 of the strange situation

Ainswroth conducted a controllen observation recording the reactions of a child and mother who were introduced into a strange room with toys. 100 American infants and there mothers took part. Infants behaviour was observed during a set of pre determined activities which involved the child experiencing eight episodes for 3 minutes. the child is observed playing for 20 mins while the caregiver stranger enter and leave the room, Observer notes the childs willingness to explore, seperation anxiety stranger anxiety and re union behaviour. they found that 70% were securely attached and 15% were insecurely resistant/avoidant.

How many marks would this get me for a01 please
    This wouldn't get 1 mark like someone else said but I don't think it would receive 6 either, just for the fact it's a bit jumbled up.

I would definitely include the fact that it was a laboratory experiment. Also the fact that all children experienced the same 7 steps during the strange situation technique, which includes: separation with the mother, introduction to a stranger and re-uniting with the mother.

Also for the findings 70% of infants were secure, 20% were insecure-avoidant and 10% were insecure-resistant, just might get you a few more marks if you say all the percentages and the individual types of attachment

ReputationRep:
    The effects of it on a child's peer relations or aggression levels?
    peer relations please, just need some solid evaluation points

ReputationRep:
    But I've read that the twins, after their mother had died, were cared for by social agency for one year and then a maternal aunt for a further 6 months. THEN they were given to their father and step mother. So I'm just wondering if they had developed the attachment then?

And okay - thank you
    oooo maybe then, I wasn't taught that so you could probably use that for deprivation also!

ReputationRep:
    I think mine will get full marks to be honest i see nothing wrong with it

ReputationRep:
    oooo maybe then, I wasn't taught that so you could probably use that for deprivation also!
    ahh right - hmmm I think I can get away with using deprivation not privation as an evaluation point then. thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah4262)
    How long would you guys recommend spending on the 12-marker? I'm gonna leave it till the end but I haven't actually done any timed past papers so I'm not sue how long to leave for it?
    NEVER LEAVE IT TIL THE END

I'm in year 13 and I'm resitting this unit, just to strengthen my overall grade.

Do not leave it until the end! If you run out of time, you are well and truly screwed and you've missed out on 12 marks.

I'd recommend having a quick flick through the paper as soon as you start, getting a feel for the questions.

It's best to leave out a three marker if you run out of time, than leaving out a twelve marker.

Spend about a minute a mark on each question.

Good luck x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NutE)
    did the jun14 paper and got 51/72
    Would've been a B last year. Have you done all the past papers? It must just be very small, silly mistakes you're making such as lack of elaboration.

ReputationRep:
    Would've been a B last year. Have you done all the past papers? It must just be very small, silly mistakes you're making such as lack of elaboration.
    The June 14 exam was a very difficult exam and a lot of people struggled because of how questions were worded

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.