The Student Room Group

AS Psychology AQA PSYA1/2 Revision Thread 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 740
Original post by yaya sanogo
peer relations please, just need some solid evaluation points

You can use Belsky's research into the effects of day care on aggression levels, as it counteracts the NICHD study's findings.
Original post by yaya sanogo
peer relations please, just need some solid evaluation points

basically you need either shea (positive effects) or belsky and rovine (negative effects)

A01 (I'm just going to list it because it'll be too much to write but..)
Shea carried out study on 3-4 years olds in a playground in their first 10 weeks of nursery
video taped them
using pre-determined behavioural categories (there were 5, only really need 2/3 so frequency of peer interactions and distance from nearest peer/teacher

discovered over time peer relations developed as for example: decrease in distance from nearest teacher and increase in frequency of peer interactions.
Children that attended day care 5 times a week showed more development than children only attending 2 so suggested that it was in fact the day care causing the social development.

strength is that - practical applications
-we know understand day care can have a positive effect on a child's peer relations so high quality day cares have been introduced into poorer areas so children can access this enrichment which they could not otherwise. Improves people's lives

negative: ignores individual differences
-positive effects on day care could be down to other factors such as child's personality, cannot generate cause and effect from study

negative: contradictory evidence
-belsky and rovine for example discovered children that attended day care 20 hours or more per week under 1 were likely to be insecurely attached. so the suggestion that day care has a positive effect on a child's social development is over generalised and not complete
Original post by dw1996
There's always the possibility of a 1 or 2 mark question such as 'What is meant by external validity?' or 'Explain how Loftus and Palmer's research lacks external validity' etc. And it's always a good AO2 evaluation point to fall back on if you lack studies - it is easy to build on. Just comment on all of the methodology of your AO1 studies.

And yes, your comment on ecological validity is right :smile:

Ok, thank you so much!
Reply 743
I'm retaking this exam that's why I'm a bit annoyed I haven't hit the 60mark. Yep, it's just lack of elaboration. I did another two past papers and got 54 in both.
Original post by K3lvin
I think mine will get full marks to be honest i see nothing wrong with it

Ok, I was just trying to help
Anyone know how a 12 marker involving bowlbys maternal deprivation hypothesis would come up, and if so what else would we need to include?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by k.bryan4
It's not deprivation though because the twin boys were put into institutional care when their mother died at a young age and then returned to their father and stepmother at 18 months old and they beat, starved and locked them in a cellar until they were found at age 7. Therefore the twin boys never had the opportunity to form an attachment, they didn't lose the attachment which is what deprivation is.

With the genie as A02, that was a very brief description of what I'd write for it.

mark 1: the studies into privation have further empirical support
mark 2: for example, Curtiss carried out a study on Genie whom experienced privation at an early age. From this, Genie never developed the intellectual ability to learn how to speak. So the suggestion that prication has serious negative effects in the future has wider academic credibility

Doesn't the twins case study show that the effects of early privation can be overcome as they recovered to have above average intelligence and good healthy relationships with their adoptive parents at the age of 21. So Genie would not back this up would it?
Original post by Tylerrrrr
Anyone know how a 12 marker involving bowlbys maternal deprivation hypothesis would come up, and if so what else would we need to include?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A 12 marker on that wouldn't come up, there isn't enough information on it, and it can't really be evaluated.

What would come up is a A03 question like "Mike experiences deprivation, describe what effects this would have on him."

And you could talk about bowlby's maternal deprivation hypothesis so the long term effects of deprivation like emotionally disturbed behaviour like bed wetting or intellectual retardation or deprivation dwarfism. You could also talk about Robertson and Robertson's PDD theory about the short-term effects of deprivation
Reply 748

Posted from TSR Mobile

The 12marker could be outline and evaluate research into disruption of attachment. So you can talk about Bowlbys maternal deprivation hypothesis and the 44 thieves study because that comes under deprivation. Then you can talk about Robertson, Robertson and Bowlby's research on the PDD model (separation).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Oiseaux
I think the Working Memory Model is more likely to come up compared to the Multi Store Model, since the last time WMM made an appearance as a 12 marker was in Jan 11, whereas the MSM was more recent. But then institutionalisation hasn't come up since June 10...

I'm mostly going over my 12 markers for WMM, institutionalisation and learning theory.

What studies are you using for institutionalisation, Rutter + tizard and Hodges?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wabbit998
Doesn't the twins case study show that the effects of early privation can be overcome as they recovered to have above average intelligence and good healthy relationships with their adoptive parents at the age of 21. So Genie would not back this up would it?

That's true but you wouldn't be asked to evaluate just that study you would be asked to evaluate the research into privation, which could include hodges and tizard study where the children who were not given substitute care could never form attachments etc etc
Guys for encoding capacity and duration I only know the Jacobs study, Peterson and Conrad is that enough?
Reply 752
Original post by SunDun111
Guys for encoding capacity and duration I only know the Jacobs study, Peterson and Conrad is that enough?

You need to know at least one study for each capacity, duration and encoding for both STM + LTM

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 753

Posted from TSR Mobile

The maternal deprivation hypothesis was removed from the syllabus in 2011. They cannot ask a question on it specifically, but it can still be used as AO1 and AO2 in an evolutionary explanations of attachment (Bowlby) essay if needed.

If you read the January 2012 examiners report, it says 'some students muddled attachment and maternaldeprivation, even though the latter is not required on the specification'.
Reply 754
I'm retaking even though I got an A because I am two UMS off an A overall :frown: I got three A's and a B in the four units and it was still a B overall. Joke :frown:
do i need to know dates for all the studies? or can i just use names
What are the explanations for why memory improvement techniques work? I know its because of organisation and the dual processing, but how does it work?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by blackmajicz
do i need to know dates for all the studies? or can i just use names

my teacher said you don't need to learn the dates and the names are not even that necessary if you forget them you can use "a researcher said......" using the names makes it seem that you have more knowledge
Original post by SunDun111

Sorry really quickly could you outline the Jacobs and Conrad study, as I don't have either of them? My teacher said I didn't need to know anything like this, only the basics like the models and EWT :frown:
found at age 13 with deprivational dwarfism, little speech and vocabulary, father locked her away and she was accidently found. Taken into care by researchers who slightly managed to develop her speech but she could not form any attachments, eventually taken back by her mother, the fact she didnt form an attachment suggests that it is not possible to reverse the negative effects of privation after critical period

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending