Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I would like to ask the LovepreetDhillon what their views are on green transport. Does the transport secretary believe that there should be more bus and cycle lanes for example?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    I would like to ask the LovepreetDhillon what their views are on green transport. Does the transport secretary believe that there should be more bus and cycle lanes for example?
    Ask that in the Transport thread in the government sub
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Ask that in the Transport thread in the government sub
    Code for "we have nothing?"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Given you can't simply direct me internally to tell me you have nothing:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The country's (native) fertility rate is below 2.1. It cannot sustain itself.

What do you do to stop the population decline? Spend ££££££££ on encouraging families? Reverse the education of women? Or use immigrants to replace entirely the country's current population?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    I believe that we should be funding more initiatives to get people to reduce the amount they use their cars. On top of that we should be funding the science and research budget to starting looking at how we can build more cars without the CO2 emissions. So to answer your question yes I would like to see more ways we can add cycle lanes.
    On your question about Buses. The problem we have that many people are put off by using buses as the ticket prices are too high. The way we deal with this is to maybe offer a Student/Pensioner discount so more people can use the bus. Yes we should be more bus lanes but only in places where they are needed, for example where there is a high amount of traffic including rush hour.
    I am free to listen to any new ideas.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by LibertyMan)

What do you do to stop the population decline? Spend ££££££££ on encouraging families? Reverse the education of women? Or use immigrants to replace entirely the country's current population?
    That assumes that a population decline is a bad thing. A premise that I don't accept.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

As far as I'm aware this is not a significant problem. With current levels of immigration we are able to sustain our population.

The more worrying problem in my opinion is the ageing population.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by LovepreetDhillon)
    I believe that we should be funding more initiatives to get people to reduce the amount they use their cars. On top of that we should be funding the science and research budget to starting looking at how we can build more cars without the CO2 emissions. So to answer your question yes I would like to see more ways we can add cycle lanes.
    On your question about Buses. The problem we have that many people are put off by using buses as the ticket prices are too high. The way we deal with this is to maybe offer a Student/Pensioner discount so more people can use the bus. Yes we should be more bus lanes but only in places where they are needed, for example where there is a high amount of traffic including rush hour.
    I am free to listen to any new ideas.
    And when can we expect a statement, or is it to be worked on with a word count of zero for the last month or so?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    And when can we expect a statement, or is it to be worked on with a word count of zero for the last month or so?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Considering I have only been transport secretary for two weeks and have already been asking the Government's position on the planned investment on HS2 you can expect a statement in a week or so. I am not going to rush things and post things that are not detailed with no substance. I will post it in the Government thread in around 5 days and will post it in the Main Forum in a week.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Considering I have only been transport secretary for two weeks and have already been asking the Government's position on the planned investment on HS2 you can expect a statement in a week or so. I am not going to rush things and post things that are not detailed with no substance. I will post it in the Government thread in around 5 days and will post it in the Main Forum in a week.
    Call me a sceptic after recent government form, and by recent I mean for the whole term.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    That assumes that a population decline is a bad thing. A premise that I don't accept.
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    As far as I'm aware this is not a significant problem. With current levels of immigration we are able to sustain our population.

The more worrying problem in my opinion is the ageing population.
    Read your two statements together. What kind of government are you?

For one, a decline in population WILL cause a huge imbalance between young and old, and result in a very difficult ageing population. And using "current levels of migration" could help us take care of the old, but will cause social conflict because the migrant population will outbreed the native one.

If you think that population decline is good can you explain why? Do you want to stop global overpopulation? In that case you are looking at the wrong country, because the global population will peak and decline later this century, and most of it's mechanism by far comes from outside Europe.

There is no reason to decrease this country's population, so it is better to increase it, because this will give us only more workers and more minds to advance ourselves with.
    Or is the country at it's maximum development?

If you want to decrease Britain's population why do you import migrants in, and why do you want to decrease it in the first place - Do you want to bring it to a certain level? If so what is your plan for this level? Do you have an optimum population density? And if you don't, are you just letting loose the country's growth rate without caring for the consequences?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    What's your initial thoughts on HS2 though... I for one, am massively against it... If anything, don't you think we should be at least starting it up further north, bringing a better link to Birmingham...? In any case, if it were up to me, the whole bloody thing would be scrapped, and I'd work on something new to better link the north to south, more quickly and efficiently, rather than make another line between Birmingham and London, for which we already have Birmingham to London Euston as well as Birmingham to London Marylebone. Both of these take around 2 hours I believe, and I'd rather look at other ways to improve this service and increase capacity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    What's your initial thoughts on HS2 though... I for one, am massively against it... If anything, don't you think we should be at least starting it up further north, bringing a better link to Birmingham...? In any case, if it were up to me, the whole bloody thing would be scrapped, and I'd work on something new to better link the north to south, more quickly and efficiently, rather than make another line between Birmingham and London, for which we already have Birmingham to London Euston as well as Birmingham to London Marylebone. Both of these take around 2 hours I believe, and I'd rather look at other ways to improve this service and increase capacity.
    I am for HS2 as I feel it is a vital link between London and Birmingham. Morover I am for HS2 to link Birmingham to have links to Leeds, Liverpool and Manchster. So effectively we have a link between London and the North. HS3 is also another planned investment which links middle England to the Scottish Borders however I have not made my mind up on this.
    But On HS2 I am very much for it..
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    I am for HS2 as I feel it is a vital link between London and Birmingham. Morover I am for HS2 to link Birmingham to have links to Leeds, Liverpool and Manchster. So effectively we have a link between London and the North. HS3 is also another planned investment which links middle England to the Scottish Borders however I have not made my mind up on this.
    But On HS2 I am very much for it..
    The saving on the current times from London to Birmingham would be around half an hour (according to BBC), so you say it's a vital link - we've already got this damn vital link between London and Birmingham... I agree that HS3 is more useful, and the later stages linking Birmingham to further north of HS2 are better, but I really don't see why people are so desperate for this improvement of London-Birmingham...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    The saving on the current times from London to Birmingham would be around half an hour (according to BBC), so you say it's a vital link - we've already got this damn vital link between London and Birmingham... I agree that HS3 is more useful, and the later stages linking Birmingham to further north of HS2 are better, but I really don't see why people are so desperate for this improvement of London-Birmingham...
    Half an hour is worth a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Half an hour is worth a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Agreed, but I'd rather see the money spent on other things.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Read your two statements together. What kind of government are you?

For one, a decline in population WILL cause a huge imbalance between young and old, and result in a very difficult ageing population. And using "current levels of migration" could help us take care of the old, but will cause social conflict because the migrant population will outbreed the native one.

If you think that population decline is good can you explain why? Do you want to stop global overpopulation? In that case you are looking at the wrong country, because the global population will peak and decline later this century, and most of it's mechanism by far comes from outside Europe.

There is no reason to decrease this country's population, so it is better to increase it, because this will give us only more workers and more minds to advance ourselves with.
    Or is the country at it's maximum development?

If you want to decrease Britain's population why do you import migrants in, and why do you want to decrease it in the first place - Do you want to bring it to a certain level? If so what is your plan for this level? Do you have an optimum population density? And if you don't, are you just letting loose the country's growth rate without caring for the consequences?
    Actually you are advocating a limitless growth model which doesn't exist. Yes a low birth rate will reduce the amount of young to elderly but we can't just keep having more and more and more kids because eventually something will give. I belive that we should face the elderly wave head on. Tackle the issues it presents and then when ther are all dead we don't have to worry. We can create a broadly collum like population structure and not have to worry about another elderly crisis again. Yes it will be hard but it will be worth it in the long run.

We are the government who will not put our problems in the lap of our children but will instead make the though choises so that our future prosperity is assured!

ReputationRep:
    The next time the Tories are in government I expect to see at least three statements a week for the entire term.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Read your two statements together. What kind of government are you??
    A government where not every single member agrees on every single issue. That is healthy.

(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    The next time the Tories are in government I expect to see at least three statements a week for the entire term.
    PRSOM

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.