Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Cricket Society IV watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    Is it just me who saw Virat Kohli bought in the PSL auction few months ago? I was sure I saw on Twitter the Karachi Kings had bought him - but realised not seen any Indian players in this tournament which tbf, can't blame the organisers for doing so considering Pakistani players aren't involved in the IPL. But is my memory playing tricks on me in relation to Kohli?
    Indian players aren't allowed to play for any other franchise other than the IPL.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Is it just me who saw Virat Kohli bought in the PSL auction few months ago? I was sure I saw on Twitter the Karachi Kings had bought him - but realised not seen any Indian players in this tournament which tbf, can't blame the organisers for doing so considering Pakistani players aren't involved in the IPL. But is my memory playing tricks on me in relation to Kohli?
    http://www.thenewstribe.com/2015/12/...kings-for-psl/

ReputationRep:
    Ah, thanks for this, knew I'd seen something relating to Kohli and Karachi Kings!

(Original post by The_K1NG)
    Indian players aren't allowed to play for any other franchise other than the IPL.
    I'm assuming this only applies to those players registered with an IPL team and not a free agent/all Indian players? If it's the latter, then that sounds a tad restrictive.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    WHAT a return catch by Anderson for NZ against Australia today. He did really well to catch that and keep a hold of it. Remarkable stuff from the seamer.

That said, NZ's chances of drawing this look slim. It's a shame, too, because they have such a good record at the Basin Reserve. Voges with a double hundred - exceptional - and Lyon/Hazlewood holing out the NZ order, who were impatient and played some poor shots.

Silly of McCullum to refer the dismissal decision in the final over. He was clutching at straws. Shame to see him fall late in the day, though.

The mood seemed pretty deflated in the NZ camp.

ReputationRep:
    AB you beast! Sensational player!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Surely only Heraths 5-3 trumps Ashwins 4-8 in terms of T20 international bowling? Incredible.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    So, THAT's how you lose an ODI series. Leading 2-0 in limited overs format, and with Topley saying that he was looking for a whitewash, the last three ODIs were massively underwhelming.

I think that these types of matches will happen every now and again with England, though. We're so exciting - with exciting players, an exciting set-up and a real, real positive philosophy these days. But Morgan's the only one with experience, in truth. We will get these odd anomalies every now and again, and SA are a great side.

ABDV finally recaptured his form - and his captaincy has decided the series. It was always going to come down as to who was more effective out of he and Morgan, and the latter really struggled throughout. Some of his decision making left a lot to be desired, and his conservative outlook was quite Cook-esque, rather than the free-flowing nonchalant style we associate with England's white-ball set-up these days.

SA are by far the better fielding side, too. The memories of those drops at the Wanderers will rankle.

Still... there are plenty of positives. Topley and Willey seem a real duo, and the former is a gem of a player, while Root consistently turns up and delivers match-winning strokes, and Stokes/Buttler are still the most exciting two players in the world. Hales has the ability to be an ODI great, too.

As for Broad - he needs to concentrate on red-ball. Keep this core of players, and get Finn fit again.

ReputationRep:
    Cricket is a beautiful game but its administration is getting worse.

Look at the amount corruption in the richest of the Cricket Governing bodies- BCCI- having people who are stinking rich and involved in fixing that almost led to the cancellation of a league cup organized by the body. Just so you know ICC literally survives on BCCI money with Presidents like Dalmiya who rocketed the organization.The beautiful game suffers a prestige setback everywhere

why do old, rich farts handle cricket ? why not young, dedicated people who love the game and not just the money
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I wonder if this is Siddle's Test career over. Obviously, without Starc and Johnson and Harris, Australia have needed him. But he's injured for the second Test with NZ, and is ageing, so he's been replaced by Pattinson and you have to wonder about his future in red ball cricket.

ReputationRep:
    Quite an ending to the Quetta-Peshawar PSL T20 match - latter threw it away at the end, needing 4 from 4, they ended up losing narrowly. Have to say, PSL hasn't done too badly in terms of entertainment and atmosphere, the night games have been well attended and hopefully it will aid the development of some of Pakistan's players - hope Shehzad will benefit from practising with KP.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Oh, Topley. What are you doing? Really poor decision to give him the final over, with SA needing 16 to win and managing it after some poor deliveries.

Root, Stokes, Morgan, Roy, Moeen out to schoolboy shots.

The fielding was dreadful from England, too.

Really good entertainment, though.

ReputationRep:
    Brendon McCullum going out in style! What an absolute icon he's been.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    McCullum; what a way to bow out

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Top knock from McCullum. A great day's cricket in NZ, but I feel their total is a little on the shy side. Australia were going well at the close - unfortunately - despite Warner's dismissal.

I'll really miss B-Mac. And not just because of his skill on the pitch. He's stoic, he's a proud bloke, he keeps his emotions in check and he really hates the Aussies. That's everything a great man/captain is in my view. He has been a remarkable player for a decade, managing 100+ Tests in succession, and I'll miss him greatly.

Really pleased he's going out in such style. Leave them wanting more, Brendan.

Also really glad I managed to catch him at Edgbaston in the T20 Blast for the Bears last year.

ReputationRep:
    Great knock - good shots, although he had a few streaky boundaries towards the end.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Great knock - good shots, although he had a few streaky boundaries towards the end.
    He openly admitted he was aiming to hit every ball to the boundary. A brave man to have such an outlook in a Test match - especially against Australia!

ReputationRep:
    Last Test match, nothing to lose for him other than playing his game. Just a shame his approach to the game didn't result in him winning the World Cup

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Last Test match, nothing to lose for him other than playing his game. Just a shame his approach to the game didn't result in him winning the World Cup

Posted from TSR Mobile
    NZ and SA will have to wait another decade at least to win one, I imagine.

I may be wrong, of course.

Anybody tipping anybody other than India for the World T20?

ReputationRep:
    Watched three balls of the McCullum innings but was too tired to stay up for it. Watched a couple of hours of Latham scoring 4 off 40 and Williamson on his way towards 7 off 69, and then McCullum went and did that.

(Original post by Mackay)
    Anybody tipping anybody other than India for the World T20?
    England :smug:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    NZ haven't scored anywhere near enough, in truth. Despite McCullum's sensational knock, they were too quick in scoring and let themselves down by giving up their wickets to poor shot selections and poor deliveries.

Australia should go on to win it from here, thus becoming the top Test nation in the world.

Smith's batting was supreme. I don't know why some don't mention him in the same breath as Williamson, Root etc. He is a class batsman and the way he shrugged off that pretty ugly blow to the head tells a lot about his character.

Boult bowled well - and you have to give credit to McCullum for that catch to dismiss Khawaja - but they lack a spinner of quality.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 21, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.