Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AQA A2 Mathematics MPC3 Core 3 - Wednesday 15th June 2016 [Official Thread] watch

ReputationRep:
    for the volume of revolution, the integral you did with pi y^2 was the same as the interval for part A plus a second equation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatherineJohnson)
    Wow. Low blow. You really are a pile of ****.
    Don't worry about him! People who feel the need to put others down in order to appear intelligent and superior are never worth listening to. Jealously might also play a part over your offer. I'm sure you did well and good luck with the rest of your exams! I might see you at Oxford if we're both lucky😄

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bartbarrow)
    ln(x^2) = 2lnx
    (ln(x))^2 cannot be simplified

You had to rewrite (lnx)^2 as lnx*lnx
    Goodbye university

ReputationRep:
    Need to get an A to go to uni for medicine. Not feeling confident about that happening after this exam. Jesus f*ck was that exam hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Legend12345)
    - root 5
    got the same

ReputationRep:
    I reckon the boundaries will be around 56 for an A. I found last year's paper reasonably difficult (which came out with 57 for an A) but this year's was definitely more abnormal in comparison.

ReputationRep:
    How do you do 9a?
    Using:
    Secx - tanx = -5

Show that:
    Secx + tanx= -0.2

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain how they did 9a and b
    9a) given secx - tanx = -5
    show secx + tanx = -0.2

b)find the exact value of cosx

I'm going to attempt it myself also until i get the answer (if I do)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sayless)
    Can someone explain how they did 9a and b
    9a) given secx - tanx = -5
    show secx + tanx = -0.2

b)find the exact value of cosx

I'm going to attempt it myself also until i get the answer (if I do)
    Not sure how to do a) but:

secx-tanx=-5
    secx+tanx=-0.2

Add them together

2secx=-5.2
    secx=-5.2/2
    cosx=2/-5.2

ReputationRep:
    You gotta realise tho they're never gonna ask you a question you can't do, if you find you can't do it then you simply haven't studied hard enough, no point Tryna blame the exam board

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MollyTaylor1998)
    Don't worry about him! People who feel the need to put others down in order to appear intelligent and superior are never worth listening to. Jealously might also play a part over your offer. I'm sure you did well and good luck with the rest of your exams! I might see you at Oxford if we're both lucky😄
    Thanks. What is it you're wanting to study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornsinner26)
    You gotta realise tho they're never gonna ask you a question you can't do, if you find you can't do it then you simply haven't studied hard enough, no point Tryna blame the exam board
    Exactly. It was an easy paper.

I finished 20 minutes early personally. I'm buzzing at how great it went and I'm not even good at maths!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam1231)
    How come you can't do that?
    No idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vilifyme)
    Need to get an A to go to uni for medicine. Not feeling confident about that happening after this exam. Jesus f*ck was that exam hard.
    If you have an offer for medicine you're definitely intelligent so I wouldn't worry too much! Exam boards don't seriously want people to do badly and the grade boundaries will reflect how hard the paper was. Prior performance to this exam is also used to help to get the fairest grade boundaries. So chill out and have fun studying medicine next year!😄

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got a link to a mark scheme??!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bartbarrow)
    Not sure how to do a) but:

secx-tanx=-5
    secx+tanx=-0.2

Add them together

2secx=-5.2
    secx=-5.2/2
    cosx=2/-5.2
    Just use sec^2-tan^2= 1 for a, factorise and then use the value they give

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by utilitymaker)
    Why are you so angry? If you want a good grade then try harder next time. You missed a good chance as this year's paper was great.

Everyone here will be so disappointed when they see the grade boundaries are normal. The same as the candidates last year and the candidates before them.
    ahah you're the biggest gimp going, do you work for aqa? so what are the marking points then?

otherwise you have just as much clue as a brick wall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlieaa)
    How do you do 9a?
    Using:
    Secx - tanx = -5

Show that:
    Secx + tanx= -0.2
    The way I did it was (secx - tanx)(secx + tanx) = -0.2(-0.5)

This came down to sec^2x = tan^2x + 1

ReputationRep:
    Simpsons rule answer?

ReputationRep:
    https://www.change.org/p/aqa-lower-g...aries-for-mpc3

A petition has been set up to help emphasise the difficulty (by the majority of students) of the MPC3 paper. Please sign! And the person will send to AQA if there are enough signatures

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 1, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.