Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA Biology AS New Spec - 26th May and 7th June Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neyscar)
    What did you put for why increase in phosphate meant the embryo was growing? I had no idea, I think I wrote something about the presence of phosphates in DNA and cell membrane structure but I'm not sure if that was the sort of stuff you were meant to talk about.
    yeah i wrote about DNA aswell
    i also wrote about how it is a comp of ATP....respiration.. growth etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GabbytheGreek_48)
    i described the types of mutation so deletion and substitution and told about how they work
    Oh... so writing about how muatation causes frame shift....change in amino acid seq....change in tert structure...change in hydrogen and ionic bonding is wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Csd1999)
    What did everyone get for the phosphate contributing to growth question? And did anyone get a ratio of 1:0.275 for the ratio question and 2.86 for the times better D was
    yeah i got 1:0.275

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MMMSS)
    so first endopep makes the long polypep chain into shorter chains and exposes more amino acids at the ends on the chains- therefore, more enzyme substrate complexes..I dont know how to explain it properly but if you think about it, a polypep as two 'ends' -if i cut it into two chains, i now have 4 'ends'
    Ah thank you. That makes sense - unfortunately, I didn't write it :burnout:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseaoscar15)
    Oh... so writing about how muatation causes frame shift....change in amino acid seq....change in tert structure...change in hydrogen and ionic bonding is wrong?
    frame shift and change in amino acid and tertiary structure is a deletion so that should be right
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    anyone done a mark scheme?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MMMSS)
    yeah i got 1:0.275
    I got 4:1

ReputationRep:
    4:1 is wrong mate, you had to do 4.1x10^-8 divided by 1.1x10^-8 and you get 3.72727272 so the actual answer was 3.73:1

ReputationRep:
    i also got that D was 2.47 times larger than B but i have put my denominator as (pi)x0.7^2 instead of (pi)x0.65^2 and hence i never got 2.9 do you think they will have a margin for error?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannahdellab)
    I got 4:1
    theyre both right, it just depends which one you divided both by... just as long as you got the simplest whole number ratio

ReputationRep:
    for the question about her investigating water loss and you had to put 2 reasons why water loss may be not equal water gain, i put used in respiration/produced in photosynthesis and also the apparatus may not have been sealed (as a potometer is used to measure water loss) would those both be valid answers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ormlaaaa)
    4:1 is wrong mate, you had to do 4.1x10^-8 divided by 1.1x10^-8 and you get 3.72727272 so the actual answer was 3.73:1
    That's wrong too, you had to put it in the ratio 1:x
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilyjacks)
    for the question about her investigating water loss and you had to put 2 reasons why water loss may be not equal water gain, i put used in respiration/produced in photosynthesis and also the apparatus may not have been sealed (as a potometer is used to measure water loss) would those both be valid answers?
    i was gonna put the leakage in apparatus but it didn't say that she used a potometer?? therefore i put the photosynthesis and respiration as two different points? but i might be wrong?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure but has anyone else noticed there seems to me a much more wide range of answers to a given question than any other exams/past exams- the questions are a bit like a puzzle in themselves you have to work out exactly what they are asking/looking for, which is quite hard with incomparable past papers with entirely different AOs (a lot less application in the previous spec). I don't think the exam went horrendously but have noticed some silly, frustrating mistakes I have done which could have perhaps been avoided had I had a bit more experience. hopefully the grade boundaries will compensate for it being the first year, even if ever so slightly! I have never felt so pushed for time in a science exam either! All in all it wasn't that bad though, just a bit sticky and puzzling at some points!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koolgurl14)
    i was gonna put the leakage in apparatus but it didn't say that she used a potometer?? therefore i put the photosynthesis and respiration as two different points? but i might be wrong?
    Isnt it photosynthesis and used in turgidity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilyjacks)
    Just to throw another answer in there, I said the plants may store the water (especially because one of them was a xerophyte)

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got a list of topics or questions that came up? I need reminding to check my answers

ReputationRep:
    yeah but i suppose she would of used a potomoter since that is how you measure water loss in a plant so they may let me have it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rabeaa1234)
    I put percentage 😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I put number of stomato per cm3

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zigocarn)
    Usually for paper 2 its about 68%
    I hope it's a tad lower

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.