Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Going to sit the e-tray tonight. Never done one before, are the questions multiple choice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryan.m)
    Going to sit the e-tray tonight. Never done one before, are the questions multiple choice?
    I did mine last week; you get a practise question first and yeah, they're multiple choice. A lot of people have said that they didn't finish all the questions so my recommendation would be to skim as best you can in the first instance, then proceed to the questions, rather than necessarily giving yourself the whole 20 minutes recommended.

I did read the texts for 20 minutes and finished all the questions with time to check a few but who knows if I actually answered them correctly!!

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if it's the same background info as the time before the system failed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cardiffbluebird)
    Does anyone know if it's the same background info as the time before the system failed?
    Mine had changed. Same concept but names, numbers, places had all changed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KJSwale)
    Mine had changed. Same concept but names, numbers, places had all changed
    how annoying. Any memories I have from the old test will be a negative then. Will be sending an email prior to doing the e-tray about this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yogiyaz)
    I did mine last week; you get a practise question first and yeah, they're multiple choice. A lot of people have said that they didn't finish all the questions so my recommendation would be to skim as best you can in the first instance, then proceed to the questions, rather than necessarily giving yourself the whole 20 minutes recommended.

I did read the texts for 20 minutes and finished all the questions with time to check a few but who knows if I actually answered them correctly!!

Good luck
    Thanks for the reply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cardiffbluebird)
    how annoying. Any memories I have from the old test will be a negative then. Will be sending an email prior to doing the e-tray about this
    There were similarities, your job was essentially the same and the disasters were the same but they'd changed certain details

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catriona135)
    I'm still waiting for my adjustments to be made too; haven't had any specific contact with them about my case so I think it will be a while before I complete my E-tray. Do you think that with all the issues they had the test over the last few days that they will change some of the content of the test?
    I don't know but I sat it last year and don't recall any of these issues. It must be the new system they use!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanDancer)
    Ah okay, thank you. I know it sounds bad, but I find it a bit comforting that I am not the only one having this issue!
    Yeah that's fair enough really. They said only a small number were affected but I take that with a pinch of salt. Operationally define small lol. If disabled applicants made up 4% and 100% of them have issues it is a big issue among a small population. It's spin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caravan_Palace)
    They're actually okay. For the SJT just pick the ones you think are both most like you and which is suitable to do in a business environment. I went overboard with prep and read their handbook on competencies and took God knows how many tests. Granted, I passed but it looks like everyone who has heard back has passed so I wouldn't stress.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah, that's great! Is this for the summer internship? I didn't know applications opened until the 3rd November?

ReputationRep:
    Just finished the e-tray. My head is hurting from the information overload. I managed to complete all questions but definitely rushed the last 5/6. I did take my time looking at the ones beforehand so hoping I have passed. Just a matter of waiting now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by internshipseeker)
    Ah, that's great! Is this for the summer internship? I didn't know applications opened until the 3rd November?
    No, this is for the graduate Fast Stream program.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I was rejected after the SJT/Behavioural test, and I don't want to sound like I'm entitled to a role with the fast stream, because I'm definitely not but.... I'm most keen to join the FCO/Diplomatic service, and have 2 master's degrees, have lived and worked abroad for several years, currently work in the civil service of an international organization and speak 3 languages. But I guess none of that counts for anything because obviously I didn't give the right answer for what to do when my line manager is on holiday. I understand why they don't ask for that kind of information at the beginning of the process, as way too many people apply and they're terrified of not being inclusive, but if you're going to base it on some tests, then maybe don't have such a blunt first filtering process

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DunderMiffles)
    It's not an experience-led recruitment process, therefore your CV is immaterial.
    Heaven forbid that someone's experience should count for anything at any stage in the process. Obviously they can't be expected to read 20,000 CVs, but having looked at the report they based the changes to the application system on this year, they seem so terrified of anyone getting an unfair advantage from their educational background/experience that they instead have an incredibly blunt application system that filters out plenty of good candidates before they even have a chance to show anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 90jl11)
    Yes. I was rejected after the SJT/Behavioural test, and I don't want to sound like I'm entitled to a role with the fast stream, because I'm definitely not but.... I'm most keen to join the FCO/Diplomatic service, and have 2 master's degrees, have lived and worked abroad for several years, currently work in the civil service of an international organization and speak 3 languages. But I guess none of that counts for anything because obviously I didn't give the right answer for what to do when my line manager is on holiday. I understand why they don't ask for that kind of information at the beginning of the process, as way too many people apply and they're terrified of not being inclusive, but if you're going to base it on some tests, then maybe don't have such a blunt first filtering process
    Give us Fresh Grads a chance.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's to do with Social mobility. The government are trying to encourage it so companies are trying to account for that. I think it's a lot harder as a grad with no experience. There are plenty of schemes and jobs out there that won't look at you because you don't have the correct experience.

ReputationRep:
    Just because you have more experience than me doesn't make you any more entitled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caravan_Palace)
    Just because you have more experience than me doesn't make you any more entitled.
    That's literally what I said. It doesn't make me more entitled to a job. But it's frustrating to get rejected based on so little information, i.e. the SJT

ReputationRep:
    That's literally what I said. It doesn't make me more entitled to a job. But it's frustrating to get rejected based on so little information, i.e. the SJT
    Oh, my bad my bad. I was reading while running so misread that terribly. It is unfortunate that they don't consider experience so early on but it does have pros as well as cons. It's annoying that someone with experiences in the field gets rejected via tests, but it's a pro since someone with no experience can show that they are capable. I suppose it's one of those catch 22 moments.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I don't think there's a problem having a filtering system of tests, and in fact that is essential given the number of applicants, but the changes this year seem to have only served to give them even less information to go on before people can get rejected. I don't see how the SJT and the behavioural test is sufficient information alone to decide that anyone is unsuitable to be a candidate

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.