Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 2 Governing the UK (09/06/16)

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Geedorah)
    If a certain 25 Mark Question had the wording along the lines of 'Make out a case against the adoption of a codified constitution' such as in June 2010, Would you simply only deploy negatives of a codified constitution? With no balance on the other side?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Indeed, if you talked about the other side they'd see it as wrong and give you no marks because that's not the question- harsh I know

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxvine)
    Has the recall act been passed
    Indeed it has

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What do you think will come up for PM & Cabinet? Didn't Cabinet come up recently?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UKStudent17)
    What do you think will come up for PM & Cabinet? Didn't Cabinet come up recently?
    One of the 40 mark revision questions in the book is "assess the current status and role of the cabinet" which seems extremely harsh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keirjohnharry)
    One of the 40 mark revision questions in the book is "assess the current status and role of the cabinet" which seems extremely harsh!
    That is for sure an option as someone said presidential came up last year, that question scares me! It just depends if they're gonna be that harsh, I'm hoping its power

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    what topics your revising? do you think they will change the trend i think PM and PLt will come up for source based and con and jud. for 40 marks ? because for the past 2 yrs they had cons and judiciary as stiimulus qs

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me who finds this unit hard?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollyadtr)
    That is for sure an option as someone said presidential came up last year, that question scares me! It just depends if they're gonna be that harsh, I'm hoping its power

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't mind so long as you can talk about all the factors which determine presidentialism or power. To be honest, I think that's the only thing I understand in this whole Unit :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxvine)
    Is it just me who finds this unit hard?
    You're not alone. I hate it so much. I feel like it's going to destroy any decent grade I got in Unit 1

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hmm this is the answer that Hodder give for it , its pretty weak
    Spoiler:
    Show
    6 Its role includes these features:· Settling disputes which arisewithin the coalition.· Arranging and controllinggovernment business in parliament.· Settling general disputesbetween ministers.· Sometimes the prime ministerwill allow it to make policy or to deal with an emergency.Its strengthsinclude these:· It can still control primeministerial power if its members choose.· It has a special status under acoalition.· It still gives the governmentits legitimacy, strength and unity.· A prime minister must stillcarry his cabinet with him on key issues.Its weaknessesinclude these:· It remains dominated by theprime minister.· Collective responsibility meansit is difficult for dissidents to make their views known.· In recent times, primeministers have marginalised cabinet. Its meetings are now shorter and lessfrequent than they used to be.· The prime minister controls thecabinet agenda and leads its debates.· A great deal of decision-makinghas moved elsewhere – to cabinet committees, policy units and the primeminister’s office.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keirjohnharry)
    Hmm this is the answer that Hodder give for it , its pretty weak
    Spoiler:
    Show
    6 Its role includes these features:· Settling disputes which arisewithin the coalition.· Arranging and controllinggovernment business in parliament.· Settling general disputesbetween ministers.· Sometimes the prime ministerwill allow it to make policy or to deal with an emergency.Its strengthsinclude these:· It can still control primeministerial power if its members choose.· It has a special status under acoalition.· It still gives the governmentits legitimacy, strength and unity.· A prime minister must stillcarry his cabinet with him on key issues.Its weaknessesinclude these:· It remains dominated by theprime minister.· Collective responsibility meansit is difficult for dissidents to make their views known.· In recent times, primeministers have marginalised cabinet. Its meetings are now shorter and lessfrequent than they used to be.· The prime minister controls thecabinet agenda and leads its debates.· A great deal of decision-makinghas moved elsewhere – to cabinet committees, policy units and the primeminister’s office.
    Damn hard a big list, i definitely rule out the coalition one though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    that qs is okay... you talk about how he dominates the political system via SPADS, doesn't consult with his cabinet, the media make him look like a president

ReputationRep:
    That is true...we should probably leave that there, if I think about it more I'll end up having an existential crisis again

Posted from TSR Mobile
    hey how did you find unit 1 ? and whats qs did you do ?

ReputationRep:
    Might have to watch it on catch up later as doing revision at the mo, do you know if it usually goes into I player on the same day?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    how much have you revised?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cocapopsxx)
    that qs is okay... you talk about how he dominates the political system via SPADS, doesn't consult with his cabinet, the media make him look like a president
    What question you talking about the cabinet question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you think we will get an EU question?

ReputationRep:
    I prefer unit 2 to unit 1...guess it's just me

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=mollyadtr;65555817]
    (Original post by Tej98)

I agree, it's definitely not influencing his position in a positive way...with the conservatives it's undoubtably that there will eventually be a civil war however will the media promote it to the extent as the apparent labour civil war? Probably not

I also can't wait to see what happens to ukip after the Eu result - will they grow like the snp or fade to a slow death?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh I do hope it's the fade to a slow death.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cocapopsxx)
    hey how did you find unit 1 ? and whats qs did you do ?
    I did democracy and elections, I struggled a bit with the democracy essay question for a few minutes but I think I did okay over all let's just hope 😅how about you how'd you find it and what'd you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popcornjpg)
    what makes you think Boris would win? hilariously enough, michael gove has the most positive polling as a potential new leader.
    Oh no, let it be a lie!!!!! Michael Gove is a total asshat

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 11, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think sex education should be compulsory in schools?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.