Year 13 Maths Help Thread

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiiten)
    Ok, ill sketch it out - i usually avoid drawing graphs because i normally mess it up and get the question wrong

So whats the difference between having a domain of R and domain of x E R ?
    You don't have a domain of  x\in \mathbf{R} , that notation means that  \mathbf{R} is the domain, the real numbers. The notation is notation commonly used when you're talking about sets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Quite simple. You are finding a certain y coordinate that the graph approaches but never reaches as you keep going along the x-axis, so you are basically going off to infinity along the x-axis in order to get the asymptote. From our equation, we can see that as we go off to infinity, the denomintor will get bigger and bigger, so the overall fraction will go to 0.
    So the asymptote will never touch the axis? - you work it the value if it does and then make the range less than that value?

Sorry this topic has been bothering me for ages

ReputationRep:
    So the asymptote will never touch the axis? - you work it the value if it does and then make the range less than that value?

Sorry this topic has been bothering me for ages
    Sorry but what you've said does not make any sense whatsoever to me.

An asymptote is a straight line (in this case) that the graph approaches, and this case it is also a line that the graph never crosses. y=2 IS that line as we found it (along with x=3 but that is a different asymptote), because f(x) \not= 2. The range is everything EXCEPT that value of the asymptote which is why it is important to find it.

In order to work out the asympotote we need to consider what value the function goes to as we pump up x to infinity. Our initial function form does not make this value seem obvious therefore we manipulate it to get something divided by x. As x goes to infinity, those fractions go to 0 and whatever is left make up that value we need, as I have shown with my examples in the long post.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but what you've said does not make any sense whatsoever to me.

An asymptote is a straight line (in this case) that the graph approaches, and this case it is also a line that the graph never crosses. y=2 IS that line as we found it (along with x=3 but that is a different asymptote), because f(x) \not= 2. The range is everything EXCEPT that value of the asymptote which is why it is important to find it.

In order to work out the asympotote we need to consider what value the function goes to as we pump up x to infinity. Our initial function form does not make this value seem obvious therefore we manipulate it to get something divided by x. As x goes to infinity, those fractions go to 0 and whatever is left make up that value we need, as I have shown with my examples in the long post.
    Ye you lost me here. Sorry if i wasted your time but i think i need someone to go through this with me irl - ill ask my teacher but thanks anyway

ReputationRep:
    Ye you lost me here. Sorry if i wasted your time but i think i need someone to go through this with me irl - ill ask my teacher but thanks anyway
    Do you understand why the fractions go to 0 as x goes to infinity? If you understand this, then you should understand how we are left with the asymptote value.

ReputationRep:
    Do you understand why the fractions go to 0 as x goes to infinity? If you understand this, then you should understand how we are left with the asymptote value.
    not really - i thought that it would go to 0 when x goes towards 3

ReputationRep:
    not really - i thought that it would go to 0 when x goes towards 3
    But x isn't going towards 3?? x is going towards infinity. The 3 is something we consider with the VERTICAL asympotote and we already established this previously. Now we are dealing with the horizontal asymptote so the 3 has nothing to do with it. If x was to approach 3 then the function's value would shoot to infinity because x=3 is an asymptote.

1/1=1
    1/10=0.1
    1/100=0.01
    1/1000=0.001

and so on. As the denominator goes to infinity, the fraction goes to 0. The numerator can be anything, the fraction will still go to 0, which is what we apply to the question. Simple observation you should be aware of.

ReputationRep:
    But x isn't going towards 3?? x is going towards infinity. The 3 is something we consider with the VERTICAL asympotote and we already established this previously. Now we are dealing with the horizontal asymptote so the 3 has nothing to do with it. If x was to approach 3 then the function's value would shoot to infinity because x=3 is an asymptote.

1/1=1
    1/10=0.1
    1/100=0.01
    1/1000=0.001

and so on. As the denominator goes to infinity, the fraction goes to 0. The numerator can be anything, the fraction will still go to 0, which is what we apply to the question. Simple observation you should be aware of.
    Ohh yea i understand that. I just need to go over considering the horizontal and vertical asymptotes separately again

ReputationRep:
    Ohh yea i understand that. I just need to go over considering the horizontal and vertical asymptotes separately again
    Okay, just ask your teacher concerning the two then. I don't think I can explain it any simpler than that, sorry. You can also see it from the graph that for the horizontal asympotote you must go off to infinity along the x-axis in order to approach it, so it makes sense from that perspective.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, just ask your teacher concerning the two then. I don't think I can explain it any simpler than that, sorry. You can also see it from the graph that for the horizontal asympotote you must go off to infinity along the x-axis in order to approach it, so it makes sense from that perspective.
    I appreciate your help anyway - thanks

ReputationRep:
    Despite bumping it numerous times, the Year 12 Maths Thread is still dead so far. What can I do to revive it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Palette)
    Despite bumping it numerous times, the Year 12 Maths Thread is still dead so far. What can I do to revive it?
    Leave it dead. Y12s clearly don't need it

ReputationRep:
    Skip to may, then they ask what y=mx+c is before the C1 exam

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Skip to may, then they ask what y=mx+c is before the C1 exam

Posted from TSR Mobile
    10 minutes before a uni exam for a module called ODEs and Control, someone jokingly asked 'what is an ODE and how do I control one?'. I cracked up.

Jellyxx are you still stuck?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    10 minutes before a uni exam for a module called ODEs and Control, someone jokingly asked 'what is an ODE and how do I control one?'. I cracked up.

No, but thank you for inquiring!

Edit: Probably won't be the last of me you will see. I'll come back soon with another question

ReputationRep:
    Leave it dead. Y12s clearly don't need it
    What explains why the Year 12 thread has died while the Year 13 thread is thriving?

ReputationRep:
    What explains why the Year 12 thread has died while the Year 13 thread is thriving?
    Year 12s became yr 13s lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Because Y13 maths is harder? Dunno.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)

Lol.
    Hahahahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why were fp3 edexcel grade boundaries so much higher than last year and do people reckon they will remain higher or is it common for one year a papers boundaries just shoot up and back down
    Also nhow does fp3s difficulty compare to s3 m2 fp2

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read here first

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.