Pokemon GO! Official Thread - now officially released in the UK!

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016
  • View Poll Results: What Pokemon Go team did you choose?
    Team Valor (Red)
    33.10%
    Team Mystic (Blue)
    46.57%
    Team Instinct (Yellow)
    20.33%

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please explain to me how gyms work? I don't get it at all. Does battling your pokemon make them stronger?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    Can someone please explain to me how gyms work? I don't get it at all. Does battling your pokemon make them stronger?
    If you have left a Pokemon to protect a gym you can get 10coins once a day. Every 20-24 hours, not sure exactly.

Your Pokemon does not get stronger but if you defeat enemy gym Pokemon you get exp and lower their prestige. More prestige, more Pokemon can be left there so less prestige, less Pokemon you need to defeat to take it over.

Now if the gym is your colour you can fight the Pokemon left there. If you defeat one, you raise the gym prestige allowing more Pokemon to be left there. If there is a free space, you can leave your Pokemon there to protect the gym. And, as I've said at the start, get coins for it.

ReputationRep:
    A gym can hold 3 Pokemon by default. If you attack a gym of your own teams colour and win, you raise the prestige. You can then add a Pokemon of your own to the gym to gain stardust if you get this high enough. *

If you win against a gym of a different colour, you lower the prestige. The weakest Pokemon is then removed from the gym if this drops enough.

This means that you may have to win lots of battles if you want to put your own Pokemon in the gym. You can get stardust when you do this but your Pokemon won't get stronger as a direct result of winning.

Edit: too slow 😄.
    *I would add not to collect coins in the store straight away when the 21 hours are up. Take over more gyms if you can and then collect the coins.

ReputationRep:
    You can collect the coins as soon as you place a Pokemon - given how quick the turnover can be it's probably worth doing that and not waiting for 21 hours!

ReputationRep:
    When you see the poll results and this fits perfectly...

ReputationRep:
    Team yellow where are you!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I sort of support blue as well because I just want reds to lose :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I haven't played Pokemon in years but I decided to get Pokemon go today. I'm on level three, there's nothing near me but I'm going Birmingham tomorrow so I'm hoping for lots of Pokestops. Any tips? What team should I join at level 5 (I think there's a gym 15 minutes walk from me actually...)

ReputationRep:
    Had an amazring haul at lunch today :dance:

Got a Slowpoke (Slowbro93) a Psyduck, a Meowth, loads of voltorbs, an electrode, loads of magenemite, a magnetron, a nidorina, a krabby, a growlithe, a magikarp (:love:), and a horsea

Should I focus of evolving my pokemon now or should I wait? Should I max out their CP or before evolving or not bother?

ReputationRep:

Got a Slowpoke (Slowbro93) a Psyduck, a Meowth, loads of voltorbs, an electrode, loads of magenemite, a magnetron, a nidorina, a krabby, a growlithe, a magikarp (:love:), and a horsea

Should I focus of evolving my pokemon now or should I wait? Should I max out their CP or before evolving or not bother?
    Save evolving to do loads at once with a lucky egg

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I would max out CP first, but definitely get round to evolving them. Why wait?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakesidhu)
    I haven't played Pokemon in years but I decided to get Pokemon go today. I'm on level three, there's nothing near me but I'm going Birmingham tomorrow so I'm hoping for lots of Pokestops. Any tips? What team should I join at level 5 (I think there's a gym 15 minutes walk from me actually...)
    Team Yellow is the only right choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakesidhu)
    I would max out CP first, but definitely get round to evolving them. Why wait?
    There is no point in leveling them up when you're only going to get better ones tomorrow, upgrading just wastes stardust and candies.

Similarly waiting means you can build up for mass evolution with the double xp of a lucky egg

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    There is no point in leveling them up when you're only going to get better ones tomorrow, upgrading just wastes stardust and candies.

Similarly waiting means you can build up for mass evolution with the double xp of a lucky egg

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Tbf if you're patient then I guess playing the long game makes sense but there's literally nothing where I live so I just do what I can with what I have.

ReputationRep:
    999 call about a stolen Pokémon. Makes that Rage Against The X-Factor look small

ReputationRep:

I need to find somewhere that has electric Pokemon, the only one I have so far is Jolteon.

I'm evolving loads of Pidgeys, Weedles and Rattatas because the candy is easily replaced, but I'm just using stardust to power up my strongest Pokemon.*

ReputationRep:
    Had a pretty productive walk to work today. Caught a Magmar, a Mr Mime, and almost a Squirtle, but that ran. All I normally get along my route to work is Pidgeys and Weedles.

Hatched my 2nd 10km egg since I started playing, and for the 2nd time got an Eevee, which sucks. But it did allow me to evolve it into a Jolteon. I have that and Flareon now.

ReputationRep:
    I have downloaded it but it does not start at all. has anyone experienced the same problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cll_ws)
    Had a pretty productive walk to work today. Caught a Magmar, a Mr Mime, and almost a Squirtle, but that ran. All I normally get along my route to work is Pidgeys and Weedles.

Hatched my 2nd 10km egg since I started playing, and for the 2nd time got an Eevee, which sucks. But it did allow me to evolve it into a Jolteon. I have that and Flareon now.
    Eevees are surprisingly good in this game. When you evolve a Pokemon it usually approximately doubles the cp. Buy with eevees it approximately triples so eevees are good Pokemon to get

ReputationRep:
    Was on a pokemon hunt with the squad today and some random woman walked past us shouting 'everyone who plays that stupid Pokemon Go game has a sad life'. imo it's a very good and smart game, as it gets kids to exercise in a fun way, but each to their own, let's just stick to candy crush.Anyway, managed to catch so many today. Horsea, Magikarp, Nidoran female and male, Bellsprout, Staryu, and the pokemon i'm most proud of .. Aerodactyl!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleming1928)
    Was on a pokemon hunt with the squad today and some random woman walked past us shouting 'everyone who plays that stupid Pokemon Go game has a sad life'. imo it's a very good and smart game, as it gets kids to exercise in a fun way, but each to their own, let's just stick to candy crush.Anyway, managed to catch so many today. Horsea, Magikarp, Nidoran female and male, Bellsprout, Staryu, and the pokemon i'm most proud of .. Aerodactyl!
    Jealousssss

I've just been focusing on powerleveling for now, spent 3 hours cycling around pokestops in my local park today and got up to level 17.5 :headbang:

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.